Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 07:03 PM

Sudden aggression in 16 month bitch

I'm so upset. Earlier this week Lily met a female Bedlington and they greeted each other normally. The Bedlington then lay on her back and all of a sudden Lily flew at her. I broke them up and obviously apologised to the owner. It was over very quickly and no harm was done to the other dog. A couple of days later we met a pair of female Jrts and one of them snapped at Lily and again, a fight started. No harm done to the other dog although Lily got a nick under her eye.

Tonight she has met loads of dogs, females and males and been fine. Just before we got to the car we met some people with a Beardie X, a Shepherd X and a Bichon. Lily has met the Beardie and the Bichon before, ignored the Bichon and played with the Beardie. Again she played with the two bigger dogs, running around the field and then suddenly I heard a scream. I wasn't near them but she was attacking the Bichon who was on a lead. I ran over and the woman was trying to pick her dog up and Lily was jumping at her trying to bite the dog. I grabbed Lily and held onto her.

I'm so upset. I know the Bichon is a sweet little dog who wouldn't be aggressive at all. Thank god she was fine and again I apologised to the owner but she even said she was really surprised at Lily's behaviour.

The only thing I can think of is she is due in season any minute. Her last season finished at the end of February so it is almost 6 months to the day.

She has never displayed this kind of aggression before. She has had occasions when another female has snapped and gone for her and she has retaliated. Never has she actually attacked another dog, and this is what is seems like she is doing now.

My feeling is to go out and get her a muzzle. I can't afford to pay for any damage she might do and I'm devastated at the fact I've lost trust in her. I would really appreciate any advice or if anyone knows why she could be doing this.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 07:09 PM
I can understand your devastation - to lose trust in one's dog is no small thing, and I really hope that someone will come on to help with this.

In the meantime, yes I would invest in a muzzle or alternatively keep her on a long lead at all times until this is sorted out. At least this way you will not have the worry of herr doing serious harm to another dog.

Good luck.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Sorry to hear this.

Are you getting her spayed at all? I feel sorry for her having the hormones rushing around her body when there really is no need now.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I can understand your devastation - to lose trust in one's dog is no small thing, and I really hope that someone will come on to help with this.

In the meantime, yes I would invest in a muzzle or alternatively keep her on a long lead at all times until this is sorted out. At least this way you will not have the worry of herr doing serious harm to another dog.

Good luck.
Thanks for your comments. We've had a friends female jrt staying for a month and they have been fine together. I will definitely get her a muzzle though.

Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Sorry to hear this.

Are you getting her spayed at all? I feel sorry for her having the hormones rushing around her body when there really is no need.
It's horrible Nicola. I got indoors and burst into tears. I am yes. I'd already researched getting her spayed and it seemed that to have her done after her second season was the best time. This will be around christmas time I reckon.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Oh dear, poor you (((hugs)))) I know exactly how you feel, it's such a shock when things like that happen, I've burst into tears more than once over unexpected reactions, it's horrible. I don't know much so I'll leave it up to more experienced members to answer, but my guts feeling would be hormones. I hope you work things out soon. If you would feel happier then muzzle her for a little bit, it will help get your confidence up again.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Oh Claire, Im so sorry to hear about this. Im sure its more hormonal. Lily isnt aggressive, she's on edge and maybe its the fact that her season is due. Im not sure you've reached the stage for a muzzle, maybe just keep her on the lead for a while until her season is over. I know how awful you feel when this happens. Dont let it knock your confidence. Lily is a fantastic little dog and you've come so far together. Once she's been spayed, you will probably find she'll settle down and you wont get this. I wish I knew all the answers. I know what its like to have a terrier bitch that likes to take control. Just keep her on lead around other dogs, just so you've got more confidence to be able to remove her from a situation. But dont avoid other dogs. You dont want her to become anti dog which she'll pick up on if you move away from other dogs. Stay strong mate, Im sure it will get better. Give me a ring if your feeling down. Big hugs Claire. xxx
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Oh dear, poor you (((hugs)))) I know exactly how you feel, it's such a shock when things like that happen, I've burst into tears more than once over unexpected reactions, it's horrible. I don't know much so I'll leave it up to more experienced members to answer, but my guts feeling would be hormones. I hope you work things out soon. If you would feel happier then muzzle her for a little bit, it will help get your confidence up again.
Thank you. It is so horrible and when I saw this shaking little dog that was clearly terrified because of my dogs behaviour it made me feel sick. Dylan has never been dog friendly but his worst is to snap and bark. Lily looked like she was going in for the kill and the dog was not fighting back which meant it wasn't a case of 2 dominant bitches having a scrap. Thanks for your support, it does mean a lot. x

Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
Oh Claire, Im so sorry to hear about this. Im sure its more hormonal. Lily isnt aggressive, she's on edge and maybe its the fact that her season is due. Im not sure you've reached the stage for a muzzle, maybe just keep her on the lead for a while until her season is over. I know how awful you feel when this happens. Dont let it knock your confidence. Lily is a fantastic little dog and you've come so far together. Once she's been spayed, you will probably find she'll settle down and you wont get this. I wish I knew all the answers. I know what its like to have a terrier bitch that likes to take control. Just keep her on lead around other dogs, just so you've got more confidence to be able to remove her from a situation. But dont avoid other dogs. You dont want her to become anti dog which she'll pick up on if you move away from other dogs. Stay strong mate, Im sure it will get better. Give me a ring if your feeling down. Big hugs Claire. xxx
Thanks Gerri. You know what Lily is like and how she behaves around other dogs. This is so out of character and even the scraps she's had in the past have been because she has been started on and she will defend herself. I didn't see exactly what happened with the Bichon but she had been tearing around the field with the 2 larger bitches seconds before, so she was all het up and excited. I really hope it is connected to her season and something that she will leave behind when she is spayed. We met a young bulldog bitch just before that she played with and so I know it isn't all females. It's just too much with her having 3 incidents in such a short space of time and this one looked so aggressive. She was desperately trying to get at this dog as the woman was lifting it and the noise was terrible. I will keep her on the lead. Thinking about it, even if she is muzzled and tries to fight it is still allowing her to be in that situation. I'll go out tomorrow and get her a long line. Bella is going home tomorrow too and I don't know if having her around has given Lily more of a feeling of being dominant? Bella has been spayed but as you know, she is very submissive to other dogs. These could have raised Lily's status I guess. I have googled bitches behaviour before a season and aggression is mentioned. Thanks Gerri. xx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Just caught your thread, I'm not sure I'd reach for a muzzle just yet hun, maybe keep her on a long training lead so you can still be in control, Im sure its hormonal, my son's JRT was like this everytime she got near/in season shes 8 now and he only had her spayed 2 years ago, but this last two years have been a wonderful for her, yes she can be a bossy madam but she no longer acts like she is going in for the kill

Best wishes hun, try not to loose faith Im sure she is feeling abit hormonal
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 08:52 PM
How bad are you going to feel if she manages to do it again and injures or badly frightens a dog and/or an owner?

If you are 100% certain you can have her controlled in all situations then don't muzzle her---if you have any doubt then use one. It isn't worth the risk.

Spaying might help but if it becomes a habit it will be more difficult to break it.

Good luck.

rune
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 09:05 PM
I would muzzle Lily and keep her on a long line until her hormones have settled down. Wearing a muzzle is not a big deal but injuring another dog is for both the other dog and you. Lily sounds like a good candidate for a spay in a few months time to save you and her going throught his again, because it could become learned behaviour.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >