Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 09:53 AM

Offered another doggy...

and it just breaks my heart...

We were out walking Missy when one of our neighbours told us they were looking for a new home for their boy ( jack x collie) . They told us it had snapped at the child and they didn't feel comfortable keeping it.

I told them that we couldn't take him as Missy does get very jealous of other dogs and we were told she was an only type of dog when we adopted her.

I talked to them some more in the hope I could get them to take him training but no dice. The lady said I couldn't ever leave them alone again. I was shocked - I said you don't surely? Oh yes, she said, the bitch is fine with that, its only the dog.. so that's why he's going.

I explained to her, no offence, but I'd never leave a dog and a child alone. She was really surprised, because, as she said, Missy is so good with kids. I then pointed out all the possible pitfalls, an accidental poke in the eye, a tail pull - and if the dog nips in defence - it will lose its life. Not fair on the child or dog - but even though she said oh yes I suppose, I got the feeling it would still happen.

I asked a bit more about what happened and it transpires the boy didn't nip or bite, he only bared his teeth when the child approached him as he was lying on the sofa.
I told them then please, if you're dead set on rehoming, please don't tell people he went to bite. He didn't. Tell them he warned. It may be he is best suited to a home without kids, where he'd never have to warn.

We did bring Missy over to say hello to him and they did sniff each other, then my Miss growled at him, so at least they knew we weren't fibbing, she isn't brilliant with other dogs, especially if I make a fuss of them.

He's such a sweet boy, loves a fuss, great recall -although a tiny bit nervous of new sounds (a bin bag flapped up and he flinched!), I really hope he finds a home he'll be happy in.
Sadly it won't be mine
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Talk about impatient. Poor thing, a bit of training and I bet he'd be fine. What a shame. Hope he finds a forever home soon.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 11:18 AM
What is it about the basic common sense of never leaving dogs and children unattended that some people just can`t grasp, aaaargh !!
And of course people like that never consider it could ever be their fault when a child does something deliberately or otherwise which causes a dog to react defensively
Just how did the human species survive let alone consider itself superior`, I despair of some people, I really do

The lad would be better off in a different home with someone who has at least one active braincell
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 11:27 AM
He probably will be much better off in another home, Patch.. but it just upset me so much this morning. Poor little mite doesn't get training, hardly any walks - they must have loved him to take him in at one point - why not care for him properly and not get shot when he does one thing they don't like? They wouldn't out the kid for such a reason, would they?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 11:33 AM
that is sad, but it sounds like the guy is better off in a new home
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 12:43 PM
How sad.......
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2009, 01:18 PM
That is sad it needs a new home but proberly for the best.
But I have to say I leave my children alone with my dogs and trust them 100% even if they got their tail pulled they would never try to bite one of our children.
My children have been brought up with dogs and have respect for them and know how to treat them. I wouldn't leave my children alone with the dogs if they didn't have this respect for them. When my children are out in the garden I always put the dogs out with them if I have to come inside as I know the dogs will look out for them. Infact the dogs wouldn't have it anyother way. they go made if the childrenn are out on their own they pace around and won't settle untill I let them out.

Hope the little dog finds a good home soon