View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-01-2013, 03:47 PM
I shovel a lot of s*** and that chart makes me want to gag. That particular shade of brown is not one I am familiar with, the quantities are horrendous and it all except one has a nasty glossy appearance. I think they are pictures of kibble fed dogs poo as the colour of my lots vary according to what they've been fed and they all produce neat pebble like poo in varying amounts dependent on size of dog. Solid and firm but gives under pressure not something you could use to describe any of those examples.
Teething can cause loose poo but I thought she'd had it pretty much from the beginning.
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Thanks Trouble. She's always been looser than my other two, but it's been significantly sloppier in the last week or so. I didn't know that about teething but that would seem to make sense and tie in.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Reading about the 2nd and 3rd poos of the day makes me very glad I have a 'one poo a day' dog lol!
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Hmmmm one slightly concerning update. My husband says that this afternoon she has taken to eating her poo. She has never done this before as far as I am aware. I think we will be heading to the vets this weekend, just in case...
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2013, 05:02 PM
I think a lot of dogs eat their own poo if allowed to. However from what you've said about the consistency and the smell of your dog's. Well, I'm glad I've already eaten today!
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I think a lot of dogs eat their own poo if allowed to. However from what you've said about the consistency and the smell of your dog's. Well, I'm glad I've already eaten today!
Yes i mean quite why anything would want to go anywhere near it is beyond me.

Actually, one question, the poo she ate was an "accident" in the house. Do you think she may have been trying to clear up the evidence?!!!! She's generally been pretty good with her house training.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2013, 06:01 PM
I'm not expert enough to offer a reason why they do it but from what I've read it doesn't harm them even if it disgusts us! I am sure someone on here will be able to give you a good explanation.

And I'm so laid back about it because ... I've never owned a dog who did it!
Kaska
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-01-2013, 10:18 PM
I don't think you are alone in your paranoia about the consistency of puppy poos! I had a nightmare with mine till he settled on one food and now his vary between perfectly well formed and a bit of a pudding mix consistency , but mainly they are 'okay but on occasion not perfect'. He also passes a fair bit of wind . But he is in 100% perfect health so I don't worry.

It's my opinion that complete puppy feeds (kibble) are quite rich and this reflects in their stools. All my other (older) dogs are on Arden Grange lamb & rice and their stools are fine.
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2013, 02:11 PM
I just wanted to update this to say that Sookie's poo seems to have settled down! She is producing nice formed ones again that smell a little more normal. Maybe it was her teething, maybe she stole something i didn't know about but all's good and I am less panicked. Thank you all very very much.
rabbit runner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2013, 02:24 PM
My 7 month old whippet, goes from fairly solid, to quite runny in any one day. I used to worry but he is healthy and happy, so I have stopped worrying... may be I should ! But I do think the clue is in the dog, and in if they are good in themselves, then they are ok....
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2