Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

09-11-2008, 05:11 PM

Loki has had more fits!

Took Loki out because the hail had stopped. Didn't go too far and got back about 3.50 pm. We came into the living room and she lay down at the back of the door. I heard a noise and thought she was scraping at the door to get out, looked and she was in the throes of an epileptic fit!! I went and held her, specially her head as that was what she was banging against the heater!! When she came out of it, I went and got the rectal diazepam and managed to get it inside her back end!! Not easy! Then gave her ice cream and now she is sleeping in her crate - safest place for her. That was at 4 pm and it only lasted 30/40 seconds. Her last lot of fits (24 in total) was back in 19 May! So she has done well without them. She took another one at 4.50 pm. Lasted only about 30 seconds again.

I wish I could get hold of the breeders who bred from an epileptic dog!! It is so upsetting seeing them in fits.

Will let you all know how she is.

Take care
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 05:14 PM
So sorry to hear this. It must be so distressing to witness your poor baby like that.

Big Hugs to you and Loki x
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Poor Loki Fingers crossed that is the end of them xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Oh Rose, I'm devastated for you I know how many she can have during any one period too, so I can't imagine how you go through it all. Remember what the vet said to Jackie with her Cassie recently, when she said it's worse for YOU than it is for her. She couldn't be in a better place than there with you taking so much good care of her. I will hope and pray that is the last and she'll last another good few months without any, or better still none at all. Will you go to the vet tomorrow and ask about her medication then? Do you think it needs changing perhaps? I am so, so sorry to be reading and writing this Rose. xxxxxx Take care xxxxxxx
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Oh no, I'm so sorry, Loki was doing so well, I thought it was quite a while since her last lot of fits. Poor girl, i hope she's still sleeping and will be ok now without anymore fits.xx
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Aww Poor Loki I know how you feel, my son is epileptic too. And when he has a full blown tonic clonic, which is what Loki has just had it is really important to make sure they are safe and yes Carl sleeps afterwards. Incidently they usually have a headache when they wake up. Can you give Loki half a paracetamol or something? Poor baby But you did everything right
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 05:23 PM
So sorry to hear this, Rosey.......

Hugs to you both x0x
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Aw poor baby. I'm so sorry to hear she is fitting again. It must be devastating and so so hard for you. I hope she recovers from this episode quickly and that it doesn't last long.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

09-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Aw many thanks to you all for your encouraging and thoughtful responses. Unfortunately, she took another one at 4.50 pm. I held her head inside her crate - it is the safest place for her to be when she is fitting. It only last 30 or 40 seconds. I never gave her another rectal Diazepam this time, too soon after the last one. I had heard that ElaineB, that they take headaches - I keep the light out and the tv off.

Loki's fits are the grand mal ones.

Her phenobarb was increased to 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening last time she had them (she had 24 in total). She still gets one Potassium Bromide in the morning and I give her the milk thistle as well to counteract any damage to her liver.

Will keep you all updated.

Many many thanks for your support and words, they all mean a lot to me - and to Loki.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Someone will always be here for you Rose, no matter what time of day or night. Take care.xxxxxxxx
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »