Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2012, 10:41 PM

Anyone got a dog rucksack?

In my church we're encouraged to be prepared for any eventuality or natural disaster. We're supposed to have a 72 hour kit (in case of having to leave your home in an emergency) which has your survival needs covered for 3 days. We also need a years supply of food in case you have to stay in your home for an extended period.
Anyway...I'm still working on both and on Friday we had an activity at church about the 72 hour kit. I realised that I don't have a kit for Axel!
We won't have the space or abilities to carry Axel's dry food or anything like that...so I'd like to get a dog rucksack, similar to this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dog-Saddle...ht_1198wt_1270

Anyone on here have one for their Greyhounds/Lurchers? I'd have to get Axel used to wearing it without any weight first and gradually add dry food until he's comfortable carry 3 days worth (He won't be overloaded). Does anyone use them for hikes? Can you recommend a comfortable brand? I know comfort isn't the biggest thing on your mind in an emergency situation - but I'd like to try!

Thanks in advance for any help for this random request!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Hiya,

I have one of these for my dogs. I started off with them empty to get them used to it as you have said and then add things in. I've taken them on walks and put things like treats, balls, poo bags etc. The only think I'd suggest really is to make such it's reasonably well adjusted in terms of having equal weight on both sides.

I can get these VERY cheaply from the warehouse I go to. If you do decide to buy one, le tme know and I'll get it for you. if it doesn't work out or you change your mind, let me have it back adn I can use it for my lot.

Also, not many of them have any padding on the back portion. I use what is left of a small fleecy type blanket I used to have adn I put it under the rucksack on the dog's back to make it more comfy for them. They haven't complained yet.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Are you serious? A year's supply of food in your home? My elderly Mum would be all right (though this is not something we are taught at our church) as she went throough rationing and consequently has cupboards and freezers choc-a-bloc. We would just go round and stay with her

I got a Trixie rucksack once for Cherry (she hated it) and had to send it back as the pockets fell to bits after wearing it a few times and I hadn't put anything heavy in it They were very good and sent me another one though.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2012, 09:09 AM
I once looked after a Doberman who had one of these
http://www.muddypaws.co.uk/muddy-paw.../prod_294.html

It fitted really nicely and was padded in just the right places. (His owner had a Pub and he used to wear it down to the bank when she did the change run.....saved her carrying it back!)

I got stopped a couple of times when he had it on asking about it - mainly by people who had tried other brands and they had not had any success with them.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2012, 09:33 AM
I first tried mine when Yiannis decided to go through a stage of pullin gon lead and nothing I tried made any difference. Apparently (or so I was told - not sure how true it is exactly) the dog has to concentrate on wearing the rucksack so doesn't concentrate on pulling.

I did have to coax him into moving his feet to go anywhere though but it made life so much easier. Also, I used to walk round to the local dog training class I attended with him. He had the pleasure of carrying his own water (although a tub of it is always provided), treats, spare leads, toys and his own first aid kit.

It worked and now he doesn't pull at all, whether he wears it or not.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Are you sure he needs it? Dogs are perfectly well able to live `off the land` as it were. I`m sure he could scavenge to survive. And he can scent water and fend off attacks so I think it would be more a case of him helping you survive rather than the other way round.
I would have thought an encumbrance like that would lessen his chances tbh. Especially if he were separated from you.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2012, 09:46 AM
I don't use mine for any sort of impending disaster but because I'm lazy (or can be) and Yiannis can carry his own stuff.

Just out of interest, what sort of event would require a year's supply of food etc and are you expecting it to happen anytime soon?
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Are you serious? A year's supply of food in your home? My elderly Mum would be all right (though this is not something we are taught at our church) as she went throough rationing and consequently has cupboards and freezers choc-a-bloc. We would just go round and stay with her

I got a Trixie rucksack once for Cherry (she hated it) and had to send it back as the pockets fell to bits after wearing it a few times and I hadn't put anything heavy in it They were very good and sent me another one though.
I may be wrong (and I frequently am ), but I'm guessing LDS? A friend of mine is LDS and has the same set up in her pantry.

As for the packs, I looked at them recently as I thought it may be good for Ranger, but hubby isn't keen. He's worried about them getting caught on bushes and branches and such when he takes him on his long walks
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm LDS, yes
A years supply could be for anything -we're not expecting anything soon! It's just about being prepared. Think about the riots last August, some people in London had to leave their home in an emergency and this pack would be useful.
I don't know if he'd be any good at fending off attacks, and he would be good at getting food like rabbits if needed, but we don't know how it'll pan out and I'm just looking into as many possibilities as possible