Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Then one can only assume that the "cruelty" is over exaggerated, as Im sure the RSPCA would be the first to get theis dreadful sport banned if they thought there was cause.
What have I told you about assuming? Its very dangerous and yet again you have assumed wrongly.

The industry is self regulated and as such deal with all breaches of the law internally, which is why the RSPCA do not intervene - they simply report a situation to the GBGB. The RSPCA responded to the recent consultation on the welfare of greyhounds and like 12,000 other respondents, they wanted independent regulation - which would effectively lift the wall of protection the government presently afford the industry.

No they dont breed, they still kill though and claim not to, much like people who claim so much cruelty goes on, when in fact it doesnt.
PETA have openly provided those figures and do not claim - as you wrongly state - they do not destroy healthy dogs. I think you must be assuming yet again because the industry hide the numbers of destroyed dogs - so does everyone else.

Didnt look at it.
Why not?
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Didn't ya know, its ok to kill as long as you don't breed
Your flippant attitude and lack of concern towards 1000's of dogs being destroyed - regardless by whom and for what reason shows your lack of compassion for animals - shame on you!
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Gotcha!
And not surprisingly but also your flippant attitude and lack of concern towards 1000's of dogs being destroyed - regardless by whom and for what reason shows your lack of compassion for animals - shame on you!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Your flippant attitude and lack of concern towards 1000's of dogs being destroyed - regardless by whom and for what reason shows your lack of compassion for animals - shame on you!
Ooh I think that I got a bit told off there. Tbh I'm a lot more concerened for Galgos then I am for the Greyhounds of the UK.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Bet your principles dont stop you taking your dogs to the vet though does it!!!!!!

What exactly does my distaste for healthy greyhounds - deemed surplus to requirements - being used for dissection and research by the racing/gambling industry, have to do with me taking my dogs to a vet?

You like those exclamation marks don't you?
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Conciddering, Jodi seems to have such a dislike of healthy grey's being pts for research, I found her response to the peta links, to be well, somewhat reactionless. So, its ok, for peta to kill 97% of the animals they were suposed to be rescuing in 1 year, and dumping some of the corpses, in bins, cos they didn't breed them... and yet, it is others who are having their ethics questioned.

There is somewhat of an irony surrounding peta, or hipocracy, as on the 1 hand, they condemn me as cruel cos I ware leather, and eat meat, and say I am keeping my guide dog as a slave, but on the other hand, as mentioned, they are quite happy to dispose of inocent animals, with verry little thought, do as I say, not as I do, seems to be their motto.

I'll stop now, as like the lionman, I could rant about peta all day.
Take it up with PETA - this topic is about commercial greyhound racing and not the ethics of a campaigning group which I know very little about or can answer for.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
1 See unlike Chaz I do not accept it or understand it - I want it wiped out!
Fare point, I think we all would like to see cruelty wiped out.

2 Yes in my tender years (yeah right) I have met a few but those few still do not stand up against those that dont - Seaham being a case - pretty much everyone knew it was going on but did not blow the whistle, and nothing was done until it came to the publics attention and then it was a big panic to be seen to be doing something, whilst really doing nothing at all. Unfortunately very few take their dogs home – why was the RGT set up for? So no unlike Chaz I again do not accept that all is wonderful and rosy apart from one or two trainers at the most or that a certain amount of cruelty is understandable. However, what she sees as a good dog owner/trainer of course may differ to a lot of peoples.
No, it isn't all roses, the people I've met and spoken to personally, do seem to care deeply about the wellfare of the dogs in their care, but I'd bet you've met far more people in the industry than me. Maybe, if I'd had your experiences, I'd be a bit more anti, however, saying that, I'm neither completely pro or anti, somewhere in between.

3 Again this thread is about greyhound racing - just because it goes on elsewhere does not mean that us anti's do not campaign against any other form of cruelty or should just sit back and accept it and ‘understand’ it – sorry but I could never understand cruelty or those that perpetrate it.
Nobody should just sit back and except it, apathy gets us nowhere.

4 No you havent! But again its a moot point - we should all be campaigning against all forms of cruelty but as this is about commercial greyhound racing, why do some keep bringing it up?
Yes, people should be campaigning, and I'll admit, that I certainly don't do enough in that area, for the things I feel pasionate about. They mention it, to add context, but yes, I see your point.

Thank you - like Nav it is nice to be respected for my beliefs and not just ridiculed as being just out of school, believing everything I read in the press and being unable to do my own research, investigations despite me saying how involved I have been.
Your welcome. Again, you've probably had more experience in this field than I have.

I agree I have always said there are a few good ones in the industry - just not enough and many not strong enough to take a stand against the bad and that the fines etc are no where near enough to stop it - hence me wanting the commercial side of it taken away.
Like I've said already, the ones I've met, seemed to care about their dogs, and I mean really care. It is a great shame that some people feel that they can't speak out, though, cowards get little sympathy from me, and tbh, I don't think our animal cruelty punishments are harsh enough in this country, but conciddering the state of the justice system, and the overcrowding in prisons, I don't see it changing any time soon.

Or that all veggies hug trees!!?!?!? :lol
Lol if I saw anyone hugging a tree, I'd think they were drunk or high, not vegie.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Its called a "blinkered" view tazer.
Its called sticking to the topic and not being drawn into a debate on another issue - tactics which are consistently used after failed attempts to defend this exploitative industry .
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
That's what you and I would call it.

I'd put money on us, being corrected sometime soon.
You're right! Here it is again...........
Its called sticking to the topic and not being drawn into a debate on another issue - tactics which are consistently used after failed attempts to defend this exploitative industry .
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Ooh I think that I got a bit told off there. Tbh I'm a lot more concerened for Galgos then I am for the Greyhounds of the UK.
I suspect its because you have a vested interest in greyhound racing, unlike the galgos of Spain.
Page 103 of 157 « First < 3 53 93 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 113 153 > Last »