Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 02:44 AM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
But sadly they are still breeding them, my point is that cross breeds in the main bring a healthy balance to the dog world, i agree designer dog breeds are not maybe the best idea but no worse than some pedigree breeders.
By the way my point was not just about the programme 'pedigree dogs exposed' but my experience over a lifetime of talking to and being around some very unscrupulous breeders.
It is up to the breeder to breed responsibility and health test before breeding their dog of choice. I don't see how cross breeding is bringing a healthy balance, there is the possibility of getting the worst traits of both dogs in a pup, and no standard of the cross.
As you say seeing 'unscrupulous' breeders, they arent just pedigree they are cross breeders too, so really it is about ethics, not the breed or the cross.
This day and age there is a breed to do pretty much anything, to cross is to make more, and go with trends and inflate prices, just on another thread I was having a joke about Maltipoo's but they turned out to be real and the price was a joke and it got worse.

my point is quite simply that having diversity is a good though and a good mutt will always be as good if not better than a pedigree, my insurance charges me more for my 2 pedigree dogs but less for my crossbreed when i asked why they said themselves due to the higher rate of illness in pedigrees, not really an argument as such but a lot of recognised breeds serve no real purpose at all and have been hideously bred to the freaks we see today so it would appear these breeders over the years have not had a clue how to develop a real breed.
Strange how threads develop and lose the initial thrust, for me cross breeds are as important as pedigree dogs which in reality are designer dogs.
Diversity is good, I could not list all the established breeds, I call that good diversity.
Unfortunately insurance like any other covers for the worst case scenario just like cars, some brand of cars, increase the insurance price and really it is the same person sitting in the seat, it is just that it can be known to be in more accidents or stolen.
Designer dogs become fashionable due to the hype, everyone wants one, yet shelters are getting full of them, here there was a huge thing about Maltese/Shih tuz's supposedly great pets and improvement on the individual breeds, but since they don't shed hair and require extra grooming they are too 'high maintenance' for some people who wanted them. The fad is diminishing the prices are now lower and a lot of unwanted dogs.
I get diversity yet you can get diversity in gene pools of any breed today, just depends on how much you want to pay to ensure you are having the best interests at the core of why you want to breed.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-07-2010, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I wonder why you have a pedigree then if they are that bad, I've only ever had 2 cross breeds all my others have been pure bred and there is no difference in health. As to insurance charging more have you ever thought that people who have cross breeds may be less likely t have insurance and therefore the overall risk is lower. Most pedigree pups when purchased come with some sort of insurance which probably puts it at the forefront of the purchasers minds.
As to pedigrees not serving any purpose, firstly many of the jobs that dogs used to do are no longer legal and secondly, why do they need a 'purpose' surely just being a fantastic companion is all that is needed for a dog these days.
I don't think any dogs are 'hideous freaks' and quite frankly I find that sort of language quite offensive and said with some venom and showing your clear hatred for pure bred dogs. I love all dogs, I don't agree with how or why some of them have been bred but it isn't the dogs fault.
Becky
I hate no dog and i find your attitude very offensive in using such terminology, i do not see the point in some dogs but never hatred, i am me and that is how i see it, good luck to people that have these type of dogs if it is what floats their boat then good for them. I need my dogs to walk, run, sniff, hunt and sadly some dogs are so hideously bred that they can no longer serve this basic function and for me that is as bad as any animal cruelty, at long last the Kennel Club have been forced to reign in the extreme examples of poorly thought out breeding.
All my mongrel dogs are and were insured and i see as many mongrels in the vets as pedigree dogs so where are the stats concerning the lack of insurance for mongrels, can you provide the data.
In a few generations now that people have woken up then maybe we will be back to where we should be with dogs that are fit for purpose ie being dogs both pure bred and cross breed.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 07:15 AM
You refered to some dogs as hideous freaks not me, that is language full of hatred and venom. If someone called you a hideous freak I'm pretty certain you wouldn't think that they liked you!!!!
Becky
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by rubylover View Post
Curious, what was the reason for the flattening of the muzzle in the King Charles Spaniels, by crossbreeding to shorter faced Eastern breeds, (as was done in the late 1800s)? Looks and fashion are all I can come up with.

What was the reason, besides for hobby and fashion, for the development of the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel breed (a monetary prize offered for a dog that most looked like painted images of the longer muzzled King Charles of the past)?

. . . the Pekingese, the Japanese Chin (Spaniel), the Pug, the Brussels Griffon (Griffon Bruxellois)? . . .

All of these breeds have common (shared) ancestry in the late 1800s and early 1900s due to crossbreeding. Was that crossbreeding for a working purpose then, and not about developing or changing their look?

. . . as well as sucked in and tricked by the dozens of BYB's that are churning out purebred dogs.

Where I live, where 90% are unregistered and we do not have the same purebred traditions as Europe does, it is the influx of BYBs and commercial breeders selling higher priced papered purebreds to the delight of the registries that is the bigger problem. The cast-offs from this system of breeding (ex-breeding dogs) also puts a higher strain on rescues.

Foolish dog buyers have been around forever. Unscrupulous breeders will use whatever they can, and registry papers and "purebred value" are as well a marketing ploy, especially when buyers believe they can then make money off of their new purebred's pups come a few years.

So, what to do about it? Certainly blanket assertions chastising one group as unscrupulous when unscrupulous in the other are easily found isn't going to help. People hear this and know how foolish it is. All it serves is devisiveness and nothing is accomplished.

There has to be dog buying educational topics that leave out classifying by 'what' is bred - such as about finding breeders that health screen, that back up their pups for life, that research health in their lines - that would serve better.

I saw my first English Bulldog in person just two weeks ago. I'm sure I was just as aghast as the OP was at seeing a "Cockerdor", but I would have thought it nervy of me to come on a forum and post my dismay that someone actually supported that dogs breeding. I would expect a similar reaction as this thread got if I did so.

Ruby
Ruby, of course certain breeds we have now had to begin somewhere and many of them did so for a reason. There is no reason at all behind the latest influx other than silly names and silly prices.

This is a public forum. A place to discuss things that you find interesting for whatever reason. I choose the 'Cockerdor' as it was the first time I'd met one. If you check my posts you will see that I have commented on the crossing of certain breeds before.

I'm curious as to why people are so keen to buy dogs of this type and in particular first time dog owners seem to be ultra keen to grab themselves a 'designer' dog.

I have 2 friends with 'poos' and I have spoken to both of them at length about puppy farms, the dangers of breeding 2 unknown dogs, the huge amount of grooming needed to care properly for these dogs etc.

Both people have said they wouldn't buy another. They would go to rescue. Both were unaware of so many issues and were not told by either breeder about how high maintenance their dog would be.

I posted this thread wanting and expecting reactions and opinions from people. I fully except the 'working' dogs that are bred for the reasons they are, suit many of the people on here but that is not what is the case with the dog I met.

We are all entitled to our opinions and have the right to air them.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
You refered to some dogs as hideous freaks not me, that is language full of hatred and venom. If someone called you a hideous freak I'm pretty certain you wouldn't think that they liked you!!!!
Becky
as i said i do not like dogs i consider to be hideous freaks and the sooner they have that aspect of them bred out the better and it is happening so thank God for that, where you get the term hate from i do not know, the term hate is a very strong one and almost makes it sound like i would shoot them on site, i hate the chavvy culture we live in but i am not about to go postal about it.
Some dogs to me are hideous freaks but they are here and deserve the same protection, care and love they get from their owners as dogs that i consider to be non hideous freaks, i conisider those cats that have no fur and big bulging eyes to be hideous freaks but i do not hate them or wish them any harm.
I have no idea where you stand on life and i really have no wish to find out but to infer venom and hatred to my post says more about you than it does me.
By the way to all those on here that have hideous freaks as dogs please accept my apologies, you see the beauty as i do not i am afraid but i do not hate your dog and if i see you in the street please allow me to say hello and educate me on the breed you have as i am very willing to learn.
I think i will leave this thread now as i am not too keen on personal motives and i will carry on learning about all dogs.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 08:32 AM
as i said i do not like dogs i consider to be hideous freaks and the sooner they have that aspect of them bred out the better and it is happening so thank God for that, where you get the term hate from i do not know, the term hate is a very strong one and almost makes it sound like i would shoot them on site, i hate the chavvy culture we live in but i am not about to go postal about it.
Some dogs to me are hideous freaks but they are here and deserve the same protection, care and love they get from their owners as dogs that i consider to be non hideous freaks, i conisider those cats that have no fur and big bulging eyes to be hideous freaks but i do not hate them or wish them any harm.
I have no idea where you stand on life and i really have no wish to find out but to infer venom and hatred to my post says more about you than it does me.
By the way to all those on here that have hideous freaks as dogs please accept my apologies, you see the beauty as i do not i am afraid but i do not hate your dog and if i see you in the street please allow me to say hello and educate me on the breed you have as i am very willing to learn.
I think i will leave this thread now as i am not too keen on personal motives and i will carry on learning about all dogs.
I understand what Mahooli means, and to show you it is not a personal attack

Hideous means
grossly offensive to decency or morality OR Frightful, shocking, or offensive to the eyes; dreadful to behold; as, a hideous monster; hideous looks; Distressing or offensive to the ear; exciting terror or dismay; as, a hideous noise; Hateful; shocking
gotten from
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...o&ved=0CBQQkAE

Freak means
freak, monster, monstrosity, lusus naturae (a person or animal that is markedly unusual or deformed)
gotten from
http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=freak
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 11:15 AM
I've got no issue with dogs being crossed as part of a well thought out breeding program to improve the health and or genetic diversity of a breed.

I've got no problem with dogs being crossed by those who need a good dog to work, and are trying to improve on what they've got.

Tbh, if they health test their dogs, and do all the other things responsible breeders should do, than I can live with them being bred as pets like most other pure breeds are. I might not think it is necessary, and I certainly wouldn't do it myself, but I can live with it.

What I don't like, is people breeding dogs for money, because they're in fassion, or because you know, they'll look nice, and every bitch should have a litter.

I don't like people trying to pass them off as some new breed, when they've got no intention of creating a breed from the cross.

I don't like it when they lie to people and say they won't shed, no, a poodle won't shed, a lab x poodle most likely will, and quite a lot.

Or when they claim the dogs will have a certain temperament, and will be healthier than the parent breeds, when they've got no idea just what combination of trates the pups could inherrit, and when they could infact, double up on health issues from the parent breeds.

As for price...thats a tough one, people will pay what they personally think is reasonable, or whatever amount to get what they want. I wouldn't pay £750 for a pup from unhealth tested parents end of, pure breed or not, and you certainly wouldn't find me paying £1800 for a dog who wil never breathe normally, and whose dam gdam etc couldn't even give birth naturally, but people do, and that is their choice, and until people refuse to pay the price, or the fad dies, than nothing will change. Unless regulations are brought in to limit how much breeders can charge for their pups.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Lilypup is right about people not being warned about the high maintainence of certain breeds, particularly poodle crosses. I have never had to dematt or do a complete shave off on a poodle, but have done loads of poodle crosses. That tells me the 'breeders' are not giving the owners information. They only care about the money.

As for insurance, I couldn't tell you whether there are as many crossbreeds as pedigrees in my vets as I never need to go there with my extremely healthy purebred dogs My friend, on the other hand is there constantly with her mongel, which has bi lateral hip dysplacia, a skin condition and constantly suffers from ear infections. To say crossbreeds are healthier is both blinkered and naive.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-07-2010, 12:14 PM
I don't have a problem with deliberate crossbreeds. I think as long as the dog is ethically bred (which the majority or purebreds aren't either) its fine.

On the subject of there being no need for it. Historically breeds were crossed for working purposes (colliesxspringer as all round farm dog). Nowadays most dogs are pets so have no purpose other than to give their owners pleasure. If a crossbreed does that for someone as well/better than a puebred whats the problem?

I personnaly would have a crossbreed. I think they are healthier (the health insurance premioums are lower) and if I saw a dog that was a combo of two breeds I liked I wouldn't hesitate to have one.

Adam
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
I don't have a problem with deliberate crossbreeds. I think as long as the dog is ethically bred (which the majority or purebreds aren't either) its fine.
what proof do you have of this? I'ld like to see it? Also could you provide me with info of a decent, ethical cross breeder as im yet to see one that is. Thanks.

On the subject of there being no need for it. Historically breeds were crossed for working purposes (colliesxspringer as all round farm dog). Nowadays most dogs are pets so have no purpose other than to give their owners pleasure. If a crossbreed does that for someone as well/better than a puebred whats the problem?
Most breeds were created hundreds of years ago, for reasons. Ok they may not still be used for them reasons, but they were bred for a purpose.
No one can know if a cross breed dog will fit the life style of some one - Becasuse funny enough you cant tell how a cross breed will come out. Maybe 8 in the litter all different sizes, colours, coat texture, tempermants yada yada

I personnaly would have a crossbreed. I think they are healthier (the health insurance premioums are lower) and if I saw a dog that was a combo of two breeds I liked I wouldn't hesitate to have one.
They are healthier on what grouds? Because there are more insured pedigree dogs? more history and info on the health of pedigree dogs? because there are known health issues?
Cross breeds are not healthier and when breeding them you are likely to double up on problems or create more.
You are the perfect cross breed buyer, you believe all the rubbish that comes out the breeders mouths

I to would consider having a cross breed, would be from a rescue though, hell would i ever line the pockets of a complete and utter idiot.
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 17 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »