Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 09:25 AM

Puppy Checklist?

Well it's only 2 weeks until Monty comes home and although I think I'm organized I'm probably not!

I've been to the shops this weekend and bought bed, bowls, toys, clicker, lead and collar. The food was delivered last week, my dad is collecting old newspapers in his pub and bringing a huge old fire guard to use as a puppy pen. The other half has been busy sorting the garden all weekend, we've shortlisted a couple of vets.

I've also been researching puppy classes. So what have I missed?!? There must be something!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Puppy treats?
A puppy nylabone/kong for chewing on?
Carpet cleaner and bio-washing powder for cleaning up puppy accidents?
Poo bags (value nappy bags from supermarkets are good and cheap)?

Something to secure him with in the car - a harness, dog guard, crate?

Erm, can't think of anything you will need for as soon as Monty comes home, unless you are going to crate-train him, then you will obviously need a crate!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Got the treats and the kong. Getting the carpet cleaner next time I go to Tesco so will also get the nappy bags as I hadn't thought of those!

Haven't made my mind up about the crate thing yet but will probably end up getting one for the car if nothing else.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Got the treats and the kong. Getting the carpet cleaner next time I go to Tesco so will also get the nappy bags as I hadn't thought of those!

Haven't made my mind up about the crate thing yet but will probably end up getting one for the car if nothing else.
Tesco value nappy bags are great - very cheap, but loads in a pack. Even with 2 fully grown Boxers, 3 or 4 packs can last us ages!

When our boys were little, we used car harnesses (but they grow out of them really fast!), but now we've got a dog guard and they just sit in the boot.

Re the crate - we crate trained our Max, and partially trained Murphy (cos he wanted to sleep with Max, not in the crate). I'm glad we did, as it means that when we go camping or on holiday, the boys will happily sleep in a crate.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Kitchen roll to wipe up accidents.
A tag and collar
A bed...vet bed is great for pups
Insurance
food and water bowls
toys
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 01:43 PM
just done the tags on my lunch break!

Still got to do insurance but was leaving that til the pup arrives or should I sort it in advance?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Best to sort it in advance so pup is covered form the minute you leave the breeders home.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Some books?

Gwen Bailey The Perfect Puppy

Any by Ian Dunbar http://www.training-dogs.com/ian-dunbar.html

Good luck
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-12-2008, 11:59 PM
Hi Esme don't forget to take a clean dog towel when you go to collect your puppy, ask the breeder to rub it on the bitch so you can take her smell away with the puppy, it will be comforting for it. Also take a cuddly toy with you.

Cuddly toys are great sibling substitutes I buy baby safe ones from the charity shops and wash them making sure the eyes are safe (I usually remove them and sew some on with wool ). They usually cost 50p, much less than the pet shop toys. Chloe has a Springer puppy and two teddies which she loves. (Also make sure they are not filled with any kind of beans).

I would also get a copy of 'The Fast Track Puppy Survival Kit' by Lyn Fleet and Helen Roberts, both members of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers (whose members use kind, fair and effective methods). It only costs £4 , I think a copy should be given to every new puppy owner .
We have had four puppies between us in my family/friends recently and I gave each person a copy to get them off to a good start
...get it here...
http://www.dog-games.co.uk/newshop/p...en+Roberts.htm

The methods used are the same as those of Ian Dunbar mentioned by Anne in the post above.
Nicedog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-12-2008, 01:08 AM
Just hope you can give Anders Hallgrens shaping method a try.
It's so easy - you can do most of it from your favourite chair.
To sit; treat in your hand - raise your hand - command sit & give the treat when your dog is seated..
Lay down; treat in your hand - lower your hand in front of the dog giving the command.
Recall; stand upright - treat in your hand - call the dog sweetly and give him the treat when he comes to you..
This is all things you can teach your dog without leaving your house.
If your dog don't respond to recall outdoors - I just recommend to run away from him. And I am sure he will respond to this in the right way..
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >