Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2008, 07:07 PM

Hoki does need an op

After the x-rays, Vet said it was just arthritis. Short walks, no jumping around but allowed to go swimming and she's on metacam.

Anyway, took her swimming at the weekend - she was not right afterwards - hardly putting any weight on her leg and not much better by yesterday. The metacam seemed to be making no difference.

I'd said to OH that I was convinced that it was more than arthritis, (having had Kip with it, I knew what to expect), so bless him, he took her back to the Vets yesterday.

Vet has agreed that there is definitely something else wrong - there are things that the x-ray doesn't pick up, he thinks it may be the miniscus (something like that) which I think cushions the knee joint.

So, she's booked in for next Wednesday (vet wants a clear day at it so he doesn't have to worry about other surgery).

I know it sounds strange, but I am hoping he finds something - if it really is just the arthritis, its so bad that she won't have any real quality of life - won't be able to do any of the things she loves.

So fingers crossed for Wednesday.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Let's hope it's something that needs a small surgical procedure, followed by a little TLC and then a back to full strength Hoki.

Roxy has arthitis, and it will never improve, so I hope it's not this for your beloved Hoki.

Hugs honey xxx
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2008, 07:11 PM
So sorry to hear about Hoki`s problems, lets hope they find it is something that can be treated and all turns out well.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Meniscus is the cartilage between the bones as you say like a cushion. Humans have it removed very successfully, I presume they can do the same for dogs.
I hope the vet finds something he can repair. Everything crossed for Wednesday, I will be thinking of you.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

11-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Awwww Fiona, do hope that the news from the vet is what you hope for. Be thinking of you, Positive vibes for a good outcome and comforting cuddles to you andf Hoki and some for Stumpy so she does not feel left out,
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Hope it is something that can be helped. Keep us posted.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Awwwwww huge hugs to Hoki and yourself Fiona.I hope it's summit simple and she gets back on her feet quickly,xxxxxxxx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Let's hope it's something that needs a small surgical procedure, followed by a little TLC and then a back to full strength Hoki.

Roxy has arthitis, and it will never improve, so I hope it's not this for your beloved Hoki.

Hugs honey xxx
Thanks Vicki. Kip's arthritis was ok to manage - he was older anyway, but even if he went really daft he was only a bit stiff the next day and then ok again after that.
Hoki does have arthritis as well, but being on 3 legs for 3 days after a bit of swimming (and we didn't let her go daft) just has to be more than arthritis (at least I really hope).

Originally Posted by Katiecoos View Post
So sorry to hear about Hoki`s problems, lets hope they find it is something that can be treated and all turns out well.
Thank you

Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Meniscus is the cartilage between the bones as you say like a cushion. Humans have it removed very successfully, I presume they can do the same for dogs.
I hope the vet finds something he can repair. Everything crossed for Wednesday, I will be thinking of you.
Thanks for the info Nippy, I remember reading about it with her other knee, but some info goes in one ear and out the other.

Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
Awwww Fiona, do hope that the news from the vet is what you hope for. Be thinking of you, Positive vibes for a good outcome and comforting cuddles to you andf Hoki and some for Stumpy so she does not feel left out,
Thanks Eunice. Hoki definitley needs the hugs - with not being able to play and not being allowed treats, cuddles is all she lives for at the moment. She's even taken to waking me up in the middle of the night for a quick stroke- I know I should discourage her, but I feel so sorry for at the moment. And as you say, when Hoki has a cuddle, Stumpy always wants one too (though at least she doesn't seem to know about the middle of the night ones )

Originally Posted by elmac13 View Post
Hope it is something that can be helped. Keep us posted.
Thanks
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
After the x-rays, Vet said it was just arthritis. Short walks, no jumping around but allowed to go swimming and she's on metacam.

Anyway, took her swimming at the weekend - she was not right afterwards - hardly putting any weight on her leg and not much better by yesterday. The metacam seemed to be making no difference.

I'd said to OH that I was convinced that it was more than arthritis, (having had Kip with it, I knew what to expect), so bless him, he took her back to the Vets yesterday.

Vet has agreed that there is definitely something else wrong - there are things that the x-ray doesn't pick up, he thinks it may be the miniscus (something like that) which I think cushions the knee joint.

So, she's booked in for next Wednesday (vet wants a clear day at it so he doesn't have to worry about other surgery).

I know it sounds strange, but I am hoping he finds something - if it really is just the arthritis, its so bad that she won't have any real quality of life - won't be able to do any of the things she loves.

So fingers crossed for Wednesday.
Here's hoping that's all it is....((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))) HUN. KEEP US POSTED AND IF YOU NEED A CHAT.....OK
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Aww Hugs for Hoki, Fingers Crossed.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >