View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Think i'm going to have to give the OH a kick up the rear then as he tends to let the dogs get away with things. He'll tell them to do something 4 or 5 times and if they dont, he gives up.

It's far more difficult taking a dog on that's already been moulded in some way and I certainly will be cautious. I didnt take my eye off Jed and Flynn when we first got Flynn as Jed wouldnt have anything to do with him and was grumpy all the time. They didnt get left alone together until after several months so I will be taking things slow and watching very carefully.

From my experiences with Joseph so far, I saw nothing that worried me concerning other dogs and people so I couldnt really see any reason to leave him locked away in a kennel. If i'd have seen one thing that I wasnt sure about then I would have taken my name off his reserve.

I guess only time will tell if we're going to have problems between him and Flynn but I feel I owe it to him to try and incorporate him into the family. It could be beneficial to Flynn to have a bigger dog in the house, might teach him to reign himself in sometimes.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I'm really pleased that you have decided to take Joseph home with you Leanne.

The two bits of advice that I will offer you are.

1, Take things slowly in the beginning. That's not to say that you don't let him know what his parameters are, i.e.: where he can go and what he can and can't do, but more to do with his interaction with Flynn. Just remember that he has come into Flynns home, so he might feel abit put out at first.

2, Remember that dobes are very intelligent dogs and that you really need to be consistence with your commands. You can not let him do something today and then say NO tomorrow.

But above all make sure that he gets to know very quickly that every member of your family is his boss, because believe me when I say that if you give him an inch he will want to take the whole mile, and as soon as he finds the weak leader in your family, that person will have hell to pay as he will run rings around them. Discipline and Consistencies are the key words when keeping dobes.

Good luck with the rest of your lives together.
Glad it went well Can't wait to meet him, really excited!

I don't think Leanne will have a problem with the above, its her oh that can be the soft touch
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Maybe you should leave Joseph at home and take your husband to training classes instead.
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Things seem to be going in the right direction,just keep Joseph in line and Like Bob M said 'everythingisgoingbealright'.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3