View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SBT
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-03-2007, 05:17 PM
At the start of this debate I was of the opinion that the pit bull was not dangerous it is it's upbringing, but have an open mind about it as I have never owned a pit bull and have only met a few when I have been out walking my dog, and now I believe even more so that it's the pit bulls upbringing because I have see absolutely nothing to make me think otherwise, most of the posts that people have written in the defence of the breed make a lot more sense to me than those against, in fact I feel sad about the way these dogs have been treated, and are being treated.

Owner not the breed
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Hayley SBT View Post
So minihaha im a bit confused, are you supporting the facts that pitbull are more dangerous than any other breed?
It is not a matter of they are more dangerous, that is too simplistic, but that given certain circumstances ( mentioned in my previous posts and those of others ) some of the breed have the potential to be more dangerous than some other breeds, not because they bite more but because the damage they cause in an attack is often much worse/has a higher fatality rate than that caused by other breeds.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 06:28 PM
I do not believe that media coverage constitutes justification for labelling a breed dangerous.
Neither do I, but the sheer amount of stories constituting attacks by these dogs proves that the severity of the attacks makes the headlines, after all, a headling of "Border Collies nips heel of child" is hardly going to make huge headlines is it? but "Pit Bull kills baby" is ever likely to.

When all said and done, this breed should NOT be in existence in this country any longer. Given the reasons they were bought here and for a large proportion the reasons they were bred here, I think they consitute enough "publicity" to warrent the breed being unsuitable as a pet.
Dawn.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Hi Dawn

This is very much a guess but I'd imagine it's often because the dogs have been kept under duress/stress/have had access to drugs/have been used for fighting/associate being "out" with high adrenalin type situations.

This is only a guess but if we suggest most APBT who do harm, serious harm, are kept by dibious people then it would make sense.

I remember one of the attacks some years back, I think it might even have been the one which led to the DDA although I can't be sure - the dog savaged a child in a play ground.

The dog was owned by a man who fought it, and who trained it exactly there in the playground - who gave it drugs and who was on drugs and dealt them himself. It was thought the dog was on drugs at the time of the attack if I remember well enough.

I'd guess this situation is fairly similar worldwide unfortunately

I doubt that most of these dogs who "snap" ever have any real training, guidance, vet care, kindness, and are exposed even by passive smoking to drugs and all sorts of stress

Just my view...

Wys
x
Thanks Wys, to a degree I agree, but I dont think (if we are supposed to believe how nice they all are) that all the Pit Bulls that escape and attack belong to bad folk, we usually hear the dog had shown no signs of bad temper previously, further enforcing the fact that they do turn for no reason.
Dawn.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
It is not a matter of they are more dangerous, that is too simplistic, but that given certain circumstances ( mentioned in my previous posts and those of others ) some of the breed have the potential to be more dangerous than some other breeds, not because they bite more but because the damage they cause in an attack is often much worse/has a higher fatality rate than that caused by other breeds.
But dont you think a Bull Mastiff or Neo Mastiff could do the same damage if not worse? A Malamute is big and very powerful dogs Minihaha, as are Akita, Great Danes and Even Giant Snchuers (i do not know how to spell this) I groomed one of these dogs, beautiful animal, very friendly but when it want to move it did and with power, I also cleaned its teeth and the jaws on that dog could have killed me!

I think you have been led to believe that these dogs are monsters when infact they are not!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-03-2007, 09:03 PM
But dont you think a Bull Mastiff or Neo Mastiff could do the same damage if not worse? A Malamute is big and very powerful dogs Minihaha, as are Akita, Great Danes and Even Giant Snchuers (i do not know how to spell this) I groomed one of these dogs, beautiful animal, very friendly but when it want to move it did and with power, I also cleaned its teeth and the jaws on that dog could have killed me!
!
Read the title of the thread Hayley Pit Bulls - Are they dangerous ..we are not discussing other breeds this thread is about Pit Bulls!
kristian
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-03-2007, 09:08 PM
i think it's sad that the breed has practically been wiped out because of humans! soon it will be another breed i've no doubt, and we all know what breed will be next? then after that another and another! fair play to humans they kill dogs,wildlife, other humans! I hope heaven is a better place
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 09:09 PM

I think you have been led to believe that these dogs are monsters when infact they are not!
Possibly Hayley, although I personally doubt it, however, we are not seeing the severity nor frequency of attacks by these breeds.
dawn.
kristian
Dogsey Senior
Male 

SBT
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Read the title of the thread Hayley Pit Bulls - Are they dangerous ..we are not discussing other breeds this thread is about Pit Bulls!
If you have nothing to compare the Pit Bull with then if we were to ask the same question (Are they dangerous)about another breed then the answer would be yes to all breeds
Page 11 of 132 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 61 111 > Last »