Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Grease on a stick, and totally fab!

Thanks for the tips A - I'll def use chicken (Len's big weakness) to distract him when I put it on. At the mo he's just letting me, but I see what you're saying, so best to bribe him.

By the sounds of it, he seems to be coping pretty well. I'm very chuffed with him - now all I have to do is get him to have a wee whilst it's on and, preferably, when we're out walking.....

we never had the wee problem...he wasn't allowed anyway!!!
Chicken ...he'll love that gentle leader!!!!
One other warning note...if he lies down at any point watch him like a hawk as they try to 'rub' it off on the ground...he may also try this on peoples legs!!!!! Fun and frolics with a 7 stone mutt!!!!
Glad it's working and you enjoyed your McD's...I have the veggie melts...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
II find this is what they are objecting to.. more the tightness around their muzzle..

they will still get that with the CC but its distributed around to the back of the head .. does that make sense??
great thanks - will invest in one first and go from there me thinks! thanks Louise!
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 01:45 PM
glad its working vicki
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Glad its working persevere with it,Max was always trying to get his off in the beginning,but when he associated it with going for walks he woud eventually slip his head and nose straigh in with no problems,and we could all enjoy walk time.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1 View Post
we never had the wee problem...he wasn't allowed anyway!!!
Chicken ...he'll love that gentle leader!!!!
One other warning note...if he lies down at any point watch him like a hawk as they try to 'rub' it off on the ground...he may also try this on peoples legs!!!!! Fun and frolics with a 7 stone mutt!!!!
Glad it's working and you enjoyed your McD's...I have the veggie melts...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
We've just been for a long walk, and as Len's used to being on an extending lead, and I've swapped him to a "normal" lead, he's finding the fact that he can't have a wander on the grass a bit of a bummer. Can I use the GL with the extending lead A?
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 02:50 PM
You can use an extending lead just be careful that no quick jerks happen, can damage the spine....

when using the halti on new dogs, it is like putting clothing on, it's a different feeling, and so if you leave it on them overnight they get used to the feel, before the first walk.

Your dog is soooo pretty, I might consider the shiba one day, good size too!
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 03:02 PM
LOL Glad other people repiled before me as I had no clue what that loop was ... forgot there was the extra bit ... we chopped it off!!
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 04:12 PM
hi i tried a gentle leader on gemma for a while ,but she really hated it ,and i had to agree !! so we tried a GEN-CON
only needed it for a short time and its great fits all dogs any size and NO clips or adjustments needed ,if you interested i'll try to get a picture for you .
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 05:25 PM
we were told not to use an extendable V but it's different as we can't do lead walks on an extendable with him anyway (unless in the park)...
So I'm not sure...I think it could be hard to use on that sort of a lead, plus, if you are training him not to pull...a flexi lead isn't great for that...as they learn to pull into it to an extent, to be able to go furthur...
hmmmm
how about investing in a slightly longer lead than the one you have now? Would that work?
Axxxxxx
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Hi Vicki - glad you are able to enjoy your walks more now.

I have just bought a canny collar and would recommend it to anyone. We tried the Halti but Harley spent all his time with his leg over the lead trying to get it off and it also seemed to pinch his lips a lot ( a soft mouthed, loose lipped GR).

As the lead is behind his head with the canny collar he can't get his leg over ( )

I haven't tried the gentle leader but are really glad you have found it so good - utterly different walking a dog that's not pulling your arms off isn't it.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >