Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Have you never tried winkles, cockles or whelks X-Clo-X ? - delicious!!! I'm a bit like Hevvur I like meat and will try just about anything. Rabbit is a lovely meat, especially in a stew - also pigeon and game goes down well with me.
no i havent because they are fishy things and i dont eat fish (when i was younger i had a sickness bug and the last thing i ate was fish so i associated it with that) i did try scallops during the summer though and they were really nice, so im thinking about branching out and maybe trying prawns again
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 09:21 AM
I'm allergic to shellfish, so have never eaten lobster, crabs, scallops etc.. But am gutted, they always look so pretty...

I travel a lot and I have eated strange meats in every country I have visited.

I have eaten Kudu, Ostrich, Springbok and zebra while in africa, have eaten python in thailand, alligator in America, Kangaroo in Australia... Generally I believe game is safer than other meat in foreign countries as it is less likely to have been cruelly treated before being shot and brought to table, whereas you cant be as certain of chickens (particularly in Thailand!), pigs or cows.

I only draw the line at animals that have been deliberately inhumanely treated.

I would not eat beef from argentina, Pork from Denmark, caged chickens from anywhere but particualrly from Thailand (check your pies people, most is Thai chicken) or veal from france, nor would I eat Frois gras.

For this reason I would not eat dog. I have seen how cruelly they are treated prior to being killed and butchered. But if someone could show me the humane dog farm and bring me a humanely stunned and slaughtered dog... well I suppose I would be hypocritical not to try it.. But it would be with a thought to my loved dogs to be fair.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-10-2011, 10:13 AM
We are unlikely to ever farm dogs because they predominantly eat meat and that is expensive. The dogs eaten in se Asia are either wild or feral. The animals we traditionally eat graze and therefore we did not have to feed them - apart from pigs which would eat our sewage and garbage! That is probably why Jews and Muslims, which inhabit mostly hot countries, do not eat pork.

Shellfish eat sewage also.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 12:18 PM
never been a bit fan of meat have never eaten any meat other than your normal farmed cow/pig/chicken.

dont eat lamb. woulnd never even consider horse or dog
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 05:56 PM
I can totally see what he is saying and agree with him, however I would never eat dog or horse purely as I do see them as pets. I do struggle with pig as I think they are lovely but I also love bacon alot! I always try to buy responsibly and never buy Danish bacon. I do like meat but also could be veggie.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-10-2011, 03:10 AM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
never been a bit fan of meat have never eaten any meat other than your normal farmed cow/pig/chicken.

dont eat lamb. woulnd never even consider horse or dog
I would like to be a vegetarian, problem is I do not like vegetables much!

Actually, chances are that pig and chicken will have been reared worse than any other meat. Sheep live on the hills so apart from the slaughtering process lamb is ethical - as is horse. The most ethical way to eat meat is to shoot it in the head in its natural habitat.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
For this reason I would not eat dog. I have seen how cruelly they are treated prior to being killed and butchered. But if someone could show me the humane dog farm and bring me a humanely stunned and slaughtered dog... well I suppose I would be hypocritical not to try it. But it would be with a thought to my loved dogs to be fair.
Well, that could possibly be a way of solving the crisis of all the staffies that end up in rescue. They're going to euthanise a lot of them anyway, so it would the be the environmentally friendly thing to do. Straight from the kennels to Tesco's chillers! It could also be a handy revenue stream for the rescues... Maybe not.

Nope. I really don't fancy eating cat or dog no matter how humanely raised and slaughtered. I find it hard to think of eating what are my family members. It would be like eating my granny. I know they say pigs are more intelligent than dogs, but they don't fit into the family like a dog does. When was the last time you saw a guide pig or the police using a pig as crowd control? I'm a hypocrite thought as I have two rabbits that I adore, but would eat their brethren if I could abide the taste of it. Saying that, it would have to be wild rabbit, not farmed. Rabbit and hare the only game meats I don't like.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 10:20 AM
It's interesting that a couple of people have mentioned that pigs are not part of the family so it is different. There is the very fashionable (I hate to call an animal fashionable ) micro pig about at the moment, who does live in the house. Obviously I don't think pigs will ever be anywhere near as popular as dogs but I wonder if people will feel differently as they become more common as pets and more part of our familys?
spot
Dogsey Veteran

14-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
I'm allergic to shellfish, so have never eaten lobster, crabs, scallops etc.. But am gutted, they always look so pretty...

I travel a lot and I have eated strange meats in every country I have visited.

I have eaten Kudu, Ostrich, Springbok and zebra while in africa, have eaten python in thailand, alligator in America, Kangaroo in Australia... Generally I believe game is safer than other meat in foreign countries as it is less likely to have been cruelly treated before being shot and brought to table, whereas you cant be as certain of chickens (particularly in Thailand!), pigs or cows.

I only draw the line at animals that have been deliberately inhumanely treated.

I would not eat beef from argentina, Pork from Denmark, caged chickens from anywhere but particualrly from Thailand (check your pies people, most is Thai chicken) or veal from france, nor would I eat Frois gras.

For this reason I would not eat dog. I have seen how cruelly they are treated prior to being killed and butchered. But if someone could show me the humane dog farm and bring me a humanely stunned and slaughtered dog... well I suppose I would be hypocritical not to try it.. But it would be with a thought to my loved dogs to be fair.
Im sorry but how on earth can you say some of these statements and then say you have eaten snake? Having worked in Thailand I have seen how snakes are butchered -there is nothing humane about it.

As for eating dog - I can see certain arguements that dog is like any other meat but no I wouldnt eat it.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2011, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
It's interesting that a couple of people have mentioned that pigs are not part of the family so it is different. There is the very fashionable (I hate to call an animal fashionable ) micro pig about at the moment, who does live in the house. Obviously I don't think pigs will ever be anywhere near as popular as dogs but I wonder if people will feel differently as they become more common as pets and more part of our familys?
Actually, people always have kept animals for meat etc in pretty close proximity and managed to treat them well even though they were destined for the table. Pigs in particular were kept by the poorer section of society.
It`s only in the last 100 years that we have become largely divorced from personal knowledge of the food chain. During the last War many people kept a pig to supplement their rations.
I find this more normal than buying plastic wrapped sanitised and unrecognisable bits from the supermarket.
In times of famine people eat rats, cats and anything else.
It is the life of the creature that should concern us, not what happens to the carcass afterwards.
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >