Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
[/B]

Pigs may be clever, social creatures, but we don't actually live with them in the house and have pigs sleep on the bed with us (not many of us do as far as I know ) Silly Hugh
Does Victoria Beckham not have one of those miniature pet pigs that cost a fortune and are really clingy?

Also, as I think has been mentioned animals reared for food tend not to be carnivores. I think the meat from a carnivore is not very palatable - although I have never tried it, but if I were starving ......... I know they do eat dogs in some countries, so perhaps it is a culture thing - who knows - if the recession gets bad enough we can all eat our dogs.

I don't get worked up about eating horses, or any other herbivore - even rats, reptiles and insects seem OK as a food source, but something about a dog tells me no thank you.
Rats eat meat. That is if there is no electric wiring to eat!
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 11:35 AM
I suppose it is a bit hypocritical really and we have a lot of double standards about many things. As long as Victoria's little piggy makes her happy, then I suppose its alright - just don't want a clingy piggy in my bed.
If we did get around to farming puppies for food, I wonder what they would be fed on to fatten them up ready for the table. I have always thought what animals are fed on makes a difference to how they taste, but maybe not.
DexNjj
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Furthermore, why don't we eat horses? They're herbivores ... I guess it's really a cultural thing as far as what is considered food and what is not. I think that people would eat less meat if they had to see it raised themselves.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by DexNjj View Post
Furthermore, why don't we eat horses? They're herbivores ... I guess it's really a cultural thing as far as what is considered food and what is not. I think that people would eat less meat if they had to see it raised themselves.
I am sure you are right DexNjj. Maybe it would also make us think if we saw what we eat being slaughtered. I believe that when something is killed so we can eat, we should utilise as much of that animal as we can - all parts should be used and there should not be anything wasted.
Dolce
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2011, 11:59 AM
i am a meat eater so i get whats he says in principle, but would i choose to eat it, probably not.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 12:31 PM
i dont have a problem with it...

i wouldnt eat dog, i think they have been man's companion (particulalry in this country anyway) for too long, and i could never imagine eating one of my pets, even though chinese cresteds were bred just for that, food! i cant imagine asbo in a cooking pot however

but i think it is true, meat is meat, and as long as it is ethically reared and killed humanely they i dont see the problem, we breed cows/pigs/sheep for this, what if years and years ago people decided to keep pigs as pets, and bred dogs for food?
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 12:33 PM
I am another who agrees with him completely.

I have never understood why meat eaters will eat one sort of an animal and not another. A dog is no more important than a cow, so why not eat them? I actually find it quite hypocritical.

So I am proud to be a veggie as I don't think we have the right to kill and eat any animal, regardless of what it is
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 12:43 PM
as i dont think anything would make me eat a puppy, no matter how comman place it may become (god help us if it ever does) but my step mum is tai and when she first came over here she thought my dad who has 4 yorkies was farming them to eat - my dad nearly dropped dead
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
as i dont think anything would make me eat a puppy, no matter how comman place it may become (god help us if it ever does) but my step mum is tai and when she first came over here she thought my dad who has 4 yorkies was farming them to eat - my dad nearly dropped dead
i know i shouldnt but that made me

thats the point though, they are an animal and yes we have emotional ties to them, but if we didnt, they would most probably get eaten like any other animal that gets farmed for food.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 01:02 PM
... not enough meat on a yorkie!
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »