Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Ollie has got more confident as he has got older and he will tolerate certain behaviours from some dogs but not others, I tend to let him tell them off now and if the owner still ignores their dogs behaviour I tell them Ollie has had enough and I would hate for him to hurt them as he is so big it usually does he trick.
Bless Ollie.
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
But if the dog is a pup surely thats good experience for it to learn the pecking order, whatever , can't see the problem with a younger dog wanting to have a bit of fun ! I suppose the woman should have stepped in when she saw your dog was getting peeved but he did it instead - thats natural i would have thought ?
At 10 months he is more adolescent than pup! Cosmo is confident...but still a little wary at points of other dogs and for him to tell this dog off, lets just say he was pushed. I don't want him being pushed to those limits...I don't think it is fair. The owner was leaning against a tree watching and laughing and occassionally saying the dogs name firmly...but the dog ignored her.
It wasn't a major incident...but still one that should never have happened.
Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
I wish owners would step in before things reach that stage. Dale would simply roll over every time until he was almost 2. Now he'll stand his ground and gives a bit of a growly snap. When he started it worried me, but he's still friendly and never looks like fighting, just wont put up with so much. Growing up I assume.
We met a dog at the weekend that was determined to chase and mount him. I warned the owner that it would end in trouble but she just laughed and said 'Oh He needs to be told off.'' We ended up walking on a different path to get away from them but he still found his way back to annoy Dale again.
That's reassuring...Cosmo was the same he would just give up and this is the first time he's really stood his ground (although he thought about it at the weekend)...I wonder too if it is him growing up and gaining a bit of mature confidence????
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2009, 08:20 AM
It's a fine line isn't it.

On the whole I think dogs should be allowed to get on with things - if Cosmo had had enough, imo it was right that he showed the other dog this - providing that his reactions are always proportional to what the other dog is doing.

But say Cosmo had been less confident and had been stressed by the other dog, I would've stepped in and either had a world with the owner to remove theirs or I would've 'shooed' the other dog off.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Hiya Hun....think yourself blessed (IMO) that he just said ...shooooooo off nitwit.

You read Shona's reply about Bruce and he is only 14 months old he is ''Boss'' with other dogs hun if they behave like that one you met.

It's me who's having to read ''other peoples dogs'' as I know if they push Bruce he'd wade in.....so I have to call Bruce and keep him in my sight/range and tell him ''steady'' luckily this works, but I dread to think how he'd react if my conscentration was else where I think it would be more than ''shooooooo''

ps...have to say bruce doesn't really go up to other dogs now, he's too focused on us to be bothered....I wish other people would get more control over thiers.LOL LOL
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
It's a fine line isn't it.

On the whole I think dogs should be allowed to get on with things - if Cosmo had had enough, imo it was right that he showed the other dog this - providing that his reactions are always proportional to what the other dog is doing.

But say Cosmo had been less confident and had been stressed by the other dog, I would've stepped in and either had a world with the owner to remove theirs or I would've 'shooed' the other dog off.
We were keeping a close eye on it...but I just think that the owner should also have been doing that!
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Hiya Hun....think yourself blessed (IMO) that he just said ...shooooooo off nitwit.

You read Shona's reply about Bruce and he is only 14 months old he is ''Boss'' with other dogs hun if they behave like that one you met.

It's me who's having to read ''other peoples dogs'' as I know if they push Bruce he'd wade in.....so I have to call Bruce and keep him in my sight/range and tell him ''steady'' luckily this works, but I dread to think how he'd react if my conscentration was else where I think it would be more than ''shooooooo''
Ta. I was happy enough with Cosmo's reaction...as it was just enough to see the dog off and in fairness the dog did listen (in the end)....I just think the other owner should have been wtaching her dog more? I was quite pleased with Cosmo really!

It's great that you watch Bruce...shame this owner didn't!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
We were keeping a close eye on it...but I just think that the owner should also have been doing that!

Ta. I was happy enough with Cosmo's reaction...as it was just enough to see the dog off and in fairness the dog did listen (in the end)....I just think the other owner should have been wtaching her dog more? I was quite pleased with Cosmo really!

I think thats the real point hun, others don't they just stand and smile. At one time I used to say (when dogs tried mounting him etc) can you call your dog please, because he will not tolerate that....and get stupid replies.

So I changed it round thinking right...I'll get Bruce to me and call ''steady'' he now knows that word is a ''NO don't you dare'' so he's more relaxed.

Although we do meet some where thier dog still insists, then Pat usually says....call your dog mate (in a firm voice) That usually gets a response
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I think thats the real point hun, others don't they just stand and smile. At one time I used to say (when dogs tried mounting him etc) can you call your dog please, because he will not tolerate that....and get stupid replies.

So I changed it round thinking right...I'll get Bruce to me and call ''steady'' he now knows that word is a ''NO don't you dare'' so he's more relaxed.

Although we do meet some where thier dog still insists, then Pat usually says....call your dog mate (in a firm voice) That usually gets a response
I bet it does!!!
There was a dog not too long ago that decided to hump Cosmo and the owner was telling em he did it with every dog balh di blah...as though it was fine. Cosmo wasn't too happy and was trying to get to me...so I eyeballed the man and said 'get him off NOW ...he did! I was amazed! Wouldn't have been so brave if OH hadn't been the other side of the fence though!!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2009, 09:56 AM
I bet it does!!!
There was a dog not too long ago that decided to hump Cosmo and the owner was telling em he did it with every dog balh di blah...as though it was fine. Cosmo wasn't too happy and was trying to get to me...so I eyeballed the man and said 'get him off NOW ...he did! I was amazed! Wouldn't have been so brave if OH hadn't been the other side of the fence though!!!
that reminds me when we were up Sutton park, a guy with a boxer came to us talking, all seemed well at first, then I was watching his Boxer and could see it leaning on and over Bruces shoulders, I turned to him and said....is your dog neutered? he replied God NO he loves his oats too much..........

I looked over and nodded to Pat who said.....''can you call him, otherwise his plums maybe in a fruitbowl....If our dog turns..........theres Bruce all teeth bared standing rigid.

We called Bruce and I said ''Steady'' and started to say our goodbyes and see Ya!!.......the guy just smiled and said....I wish I could stop him but he done it since he was 6 months...he;s 8 now
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2009, 09:57 AM
It's madness isn't it? It's not like it's rocket science is it?!!!!! GRrrrrrrrrrrr
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2009, 04:47 PM

Why didn't you ask this woman to remove her dog? You know your dog and could tell Cosmo was getting annoyed, from what you've said she obviously had no idea how much it was winding Cosmo up, she does sound like a bit of a numpty!

I know it's annoying that you should have to but to be honest if you want to stop this happening too often you are going to have to get used to intervening because I am sure that many dog owners won't even have seen the problem.

J
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
Why didn't you ask this woman to remove her dog? You know your dog and could tell Cosmo was getting annoyed, from what you've said she obviously had no idea how much it was winding Cosmo up, she does sound like a bit of a numpty!

I know it's annoying that you should have to but to be honest if you want to stop this happening too often you are going to have to get used to intervening because I am sure that many dog owners won't even have seen the problem.

J
I generally do intervene, or my oH does....on this occassion, we were waiting for the owner to be more forceful in her commands....in the end we left her to it. We have intervened on many occassions over the years with different dogs, this post was made because i was annoyed that another owner would use my soft mutt to take her dog down a peg or two and think that was okay...the point ti I don't think that is okay at all. My dog doesn't need to be used as a teaching exercise as he didn't learn great things from it.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >