Our sister sites
Our sister sites
paw-paw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-07-2008, 09:50 AM

looking for a car ramp, MK area

HI!

I am looking for a car ramp for my large dog, because he has arthritis and cannot jump in the car anymore so I have to lift him which is not really practical.
Now, my car isn't high - it is accent.

I would like the ramp to be steady when the dog walks on it, preferably wide and foldable. It could be new or second hand and of course I would like it to be as cheap as possible (but safe and steady!)...
Any idea where I could find a ramp like that?
I am currently staying in MK but am prepared to drive a bit.

THX!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

31-07-2008, 10:08 AM
Have you thought about calling in to your local vets and asking if you could put a card up in the surgery - I'm sure they wouldn't mind -- you might find someone who could make one for you perhaps.

How long are you staying in MK ?
paw-paw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-07-2008, 10:39 AM
THX for the idea, will try it.
We are staying in MK until the end of August and then we are going to Wales
I arrived here two days ago, so I don't have any vet chosen yet...I will have to check them out.
We are still adjusting to British kind of life - like driving on the "wrong" side of the road I am sure we will like it here tho
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi Paw-Paw

Advertising in the vets is a good idea, you could also try advertising in local petshops, who may also stock the ramps.

Not sure how heavy your dog is but you may be resticted because some ramps only hold up to 40 kg, from what I remember, the Pets At Home ramps are for smaller dogs.

If you have a look online a lot of companies will deliver ramps to you and they are often quite good prices. They also seem to have a range of wood, aluminium and other metals and do folding, telescopic etc.

We rushed into buying Max's, we always knew he might need one when he was older but he pulled a muscle in his back a few months ago and we had to get one for him that day as he goes in the car daily. Ours was £65, it folds in half and the top is hard plastic with raised bobbles for grip. It is bulky and not easy to fold and Dave had to put baton on it because Max couldn't grip it properly. We only used it for a few days and I really wish I'd had more time to get a better one.

Ironically I'm in Milton Keynes this Saturday as I'm meeting up with a friend from London. I could sell you mine but seen as though I'm not overly impressed with it that would be a bit mean!!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Here's some to get you started:

Barjo are excellent, we've had 2 sets of dog guards from them:

https://www.barjo.co.uk/ramps/

Don't know these 2 but maybe someone on here has some feedback on these sites?

Http://www.kingstown.net/ramp/index.htm

http://www.dogcagestore.com/sa_webap...g_Ramps/72.htm
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Not sure of the quality, but there was a large dog-ramp in the argos sale.. might be worth a look? I think it had RSPCA branding on it?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Argos do one, which would be quick and easy to purchase? It's in their dog section and it looks fine for your purpose?
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

31-07-2008, 01:34 PM
And there is an Argos in MK so easy for you to pick up.

You could try PAH Companion Care Vets in Rooksley, they have a large advertising board at the back of the store and you might find one for sale on there.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

31-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by paw-paw View Post
We are still adjusting to British kind of life - like driving on the "wrong" side of the road
Don't worry Nadja I've been driving on the 'wrong side' for nearly four years - you'll soon get used to it

Hope you get a ramp OK seems like some good advice above, I used to shop for some items at Argus.

Hope you'll update all your Dogsey friends when you get settled into unniversity.