Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2007, 10:53 AM

Confused about house training....

Hi everyone,

Icon is about 4 and a half month old now, he was 99% housetrained, as he normally goes REALLY naughty when he needs a poo and so I take him straight outside and 99% of the time I can tell when he needs a wee. He goes on command and I always stay outside with him while he does his business as there is currently a hole in the fence and he has to be on a lead when in the garden.

I always praise him for going outside, and he has been dry through the night since about the 2nd week we had him (he's crate trained).

He hasn't done a poo in the house since about the 2nd week we've had him, but yesterday he did, with no warning not even any sniffing the floor, and the day before he also did, but that was because my OH was held up at work when she was supposed to be home an hour after I had left to go training and it wasn't until I was on my way back that I found out she hadn't been home and he'd been left for 3 hours, so that was understandable.

He's also started weeing inside again, he's being very very very naughty at the moment, which I'm guessing is puppy adolescence? Even at training class last night when he was the best behaved one there the week before he was a monster

My OH and I aren't getting on at all lately, she's like a black cloud walking through the door, and I've got a feeling this could be because of the atmosphere she creates when she comes home as he's a lot better for me on my own. Maybe he can sense she doesn't like us?

Any opinions welcomed!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Hi Lorna,

A lot of puppies take a back step just when you think you have it cracked - the weather will also play a part - colder/wet not as nice to venture out to do 'the business'.

the 'atmostphere' may play a part but as he is still v. young would think it is just a backward step and a bit of going back to basics will soon get things back on track. Extra praising when right etc.

All the best and sorry things with your OH aren't going well.
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2007, 11:14 AM
I think dogs do pick up a lot of the emotion in the home, so I guess that's possibly why Icon has taken a backwards step in his house breaking. We've recently had a few problems with Amber toileting in the house (she's three months old), but it's because of the addition of my Mum's dog, Sam. Now that things have pretty much settled down again, toilet habits are getting better.

I'm no expert on housebreaking - Amber is my first puppy of my own (I was nine when our JRT was a pup, so didn't have to worry about all the hard work ), but I've heard clicker training can be very effective. Every time Amber has been caught going indoors, we just put her outside for five minutes time out. Generally, we've found that during the five minutes she goes for a wee or a poo, so we then go out as soon as she does it, make a fuss of her and allow her back into the "pack".

I hope you crack the problem soon - it's so frustrating when they've seemed to catch on to garden=toilet and then decide that, actually, they'd rather pee in your slippers, thanks all the same
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2007, 11:25 AM
He is clicker trained, but tends to stop when I click him for going outside, he's usually very good....I'm glad its not just me who has had this set back!

Thanks guys x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Hi Lorna I agree with Rachel , puppies do have the occasional setback (just like small children who occasionally wet the bed) , clean the soiled area thoroughly with biological washing powder and ignore the incident completely. Also carry on taking Icon out at the appropriate times,after sleep/play/food/any excitement/and every couple of hours for older puppies.

I don't think you can take a puppy out too often, Millie is 5 months and I still take her out every two hours.

Dogs watch every tiny detail of our behaviour/facial expression/gestures/tone of voice, it is their language so yes if there is any tension in a house they do pick up on it very quickly also any change in routine can affect their behaviour.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
He is clicker trained, but tends to stop when I click him for going outside, he's usually very good....I'm glad its not just me who has had this set back!

Thanks guys x
I would perhaps not use clicker for the toilet training - I tend to say good wee wees (or whatever) your command is!

You certainly aren't alone in the step backwards! Up the praise again and I'm sure he will soon be back to being a good wee lad (excuse the pun!)

Many puppies aren't fully housetrained somewhere between 6m - year - it varies greatly from puppy to puppy - but you are doing everything right just keep it up
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2007, 11:46 AM
I think it's most likely the change in emotions but I also think his naughtiness is getting you down, you get down and he gets worse - it's a vicious circle.

The advice you've been given is fantastic - follow it, but as I've said to you already you need a routine - particularly a bed time routine!
He gets naughty in the evenings - he's not being malicious, he's tired. I've had the same thing with Takara, she still acts up when she's tired and she's 2!

Work out what time he starts getting silly and make his bedtime just before that. My dogs know that 9:30 is bedtime and Takara complains if she's not in bed by then (unless we're training or out).

I think if you can avoid that awkward 'over tired' time his behaviour will improve, Adel won't be so offended by his behaviour, the atmosphere will improve and you'll not be worried about her being wound up so your spirits will be higher. Housetraining will be easier when there's not a bad atmosphere.
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Some excellent advice here, and I agree with Lottie, Icon will be picking up from the emotions in the house, which is probably a little upsetting, but hopefully getting into a routine will help settle him, so that there are no more accidents. I really hope you can sort everything out soon hun, and if there is anything any of us lot can do, just ask

Take care, chin up
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for the advice, will let you know if there are any developments!