Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 08:13 AM

What Colour New Born Pups?

There are so many new litters arriving or just having been born it got me to thinking about the colours of pups and what they look like when they are newborn.

In the English Setters they are all born completely white with maybe a black eye patch, black on their ears or, if you are unlucky, a black patch on the body. With these pups you know that they are going to be either blue beltons or tricolours. The tricolour however takes weeks to materialise, you can usually tell because the blue beltons also have little blue freckles on their feet and around both sides of their muzzles, so if your pup seems to be lacking in freckles in those places it will more than likely become a tricolour.

The orange beltons stay white for ages, as the pups get a bit older, say from about 4 weeks, the orange beltons tend to take on a more creamy colour whereas the blues and tri's tend to keep to a whiter white.

Because of this, unless you have mated an orange belton to another orange and you know therefore that you will only have orange belton pups, it is so difficult to register the pups as you're not sure exactly what colour they are going to be.

My last litter weren't registered until they were 6 weeks old as I was convinced Bradley was going to be a tri (like his daddy), but he fooled me, suddenly his freckles appeared on his feet and confirmed that he was a blue belton.

I just wondered how many other breeds are like this, or indeed, how many breeds that come in all sorts of colours are born exactly as they will be for life.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Was so so easy with Max's litter because they all had their markings already.

Dallys are born all white (i think?), but then I think we pretty much know they are going to be spotty just a question of black and white or liver and white :smt017
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Blue roan cockers are black & white born, but have black pads, black & white are obviously B&W but have pink pads, orange roan/o&w are born orange & white and again with the colour pads like blue's.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 10:13 AM
You gotta laughm when I saw my sisters dog, I thought she'd got a different one It went from this

To this

I really didn't think it was the same dog
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 10:13 AM
I was talking to a lady who I think breeds Bernese Mountain Dogs, I say thinks as she had a pup and her dad, and she was saying that their noses and pads on the bottom of their feet are pink when their born, but as they grow they turn black, don't know if thats in general or just for the pup, but the impression I got was it was in general!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Mummy2Max View Post
Dallys are born all white (i think?)
Not quite!

When dallies are born and are wet you can see their spots on their skin, only when the fur dries do they look all white because you have to wait for the spots to come through the hair.

You can generally tell what colour they are straight away I think

Also - as far as I know, you can see the patch on the fur or patched dalmatians straight away.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 10:23 AM
In poodles blacks are black and whites are whites, silvers are black and blues are black (both clearing later) browns are brown but usually fade out to varying degrees, same with apricots. Creams not sure of, silver beige born brown clearing later. Reds should stay red. My first poodle was born brown and was registered brown then developed her cream points at about 3-4 weeksish!
Becky
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Not quite!

When dallies are born and are wet you can see their spots on their skin, only when the fur dries do they look all white because you have to wait for the spots to come through the hair.

You can generally tell what colour they are even if it's just by looking at their noses I think.

Also - as far as I know, you can see the patch on the fur or patched dalmatians straight away.
thats my theory out the window then
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 10:28 AM
As CC said roan cockers are born white with black or chocolate or orange patches and you can tell they are roan by their feet. the solids are all born the colour they will stay although the shade of the colour may change as the pup grows. With the black and tans, the tan can sometimes be very dull in a pup but can chance to almost orange as they grow. the chocolates can also change to either a minky pale choccy or a really deep dark chocolate or stay like gracie a nice mid "milk chococlate".
Sometimes solid blacks can be born with small white flash on their chest or neck these tend to fade as the pup grows as well.
Cayley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-06-2007, 10:31 AM
In cockers, you should be able to tell instantly whether it is 'and tan' by looking under the tail as there will be an area of tan .
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »