View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2012, 07:16 AM
Recently tried one for Kiki's recently developed seperation issues, unfortunately haven't noticed a difference between when I leave her with it and when I don't - BUT hers is a homemade one as someone kindly sent me a Thundershirt to try but it turned out to be too big - she was right on the cusp between two sizes. So I made my own with some semi-stretchy fleece.
As said, Thundershirt do a money-back guarantee (believe it's with them direct but have heard of PAH taking it back and doing the refund themselves) so you can try it for 45 days and return it if you see no difference.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-02-2012, 08:23 AM
Teg is scared of thunder and fireworks. I've got the t-touch wrap for if I'm with him or I use one of my old t-shirts knotted for bed time. Teg loves having them on and makes a big difference to his reactions.
No experience of the thunder shirts though.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2012, 09:46 AM
I have a thundershirt for Oliver. It works great for his noise phobias. Not as well for his anxiety with people and other dogs, but he is a touch calmer at classes with it on.
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2012, 09:49 AM
I've just ordered one for Jake (frightened of thunder, fireworks, motorbikes etc).

Will see how it goes!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-02-2012, 10:02 AM
I know that some people on a canine epilepsy site say thundershirts can calm their dogs down, but that is only if they have signs the dog is going to seize? I have never had signs as when Pereg seizes they just happen so a thundershirt would be useless for her.

What I do find help are calming pills for when she is over-excited or frightened.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2012, 12:32 PM
If you decide to get one let me know probably can get one cheaper trade hun.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2012, 12:36 PM
I've tried a Ttouch wrap on Cain and not noticed any difference. He started to dislike wearing it and running away when I pulled it out so I stopped using it. However DAP works for him, where as it doesn't for many others. It's trial and error, the only way to know if it will work for your dog is to try it
Clicker trainer
New Member!
Female 

09-02-2012, 05:15 AM
Yes! I have not personally used the Thundershirt but I had a client order one for her dog. Neither of us saw any effect. However, once we added the Face Wrap we saw a dramatic reduction in her dog's anxious barking.

I recommend the Anxiety Wrap to my clients - and have used the product on my own dog. I am very pleased with the results. After applying the Anxiety Wrap I have consistently seen an immediate reduction in anxious behavior in every dog I have put it on.

I don't know if you're aware, but the Anxiety Wrap is the original patented pressure wrap designed for dogs - and cats - by Susan Sharpe, a certified professional dog trainer and T-touch practitioner.

The Anxiety Wrap targets acupressure points as well as applying maintained pressure. In fact, it provides more maintained pressure than any other imitation product on the market today.

Just recently a study was done at Tufts University by Dr. Nicholas Dodman that found the Anxiety Wrap to be effective in 89% of Thunderstorm-phobic dogs.

For the clients that I see as a professional dog trainer, I use the Anxiety Wrap as an adjunct in my overall behavior modification plan. I also recommend that my clients see a veterinarian for a medical examination and evaluation if I suspect their dog's condition could have an underlying medical cause. I think it's important to have veterinary involvement, especially in complicated cases since so many medical conditions are associated with behavioral problems.

I always recommend the Anxiety Wrap as part of a behavior modification plan. While the Anxiety Wrap will decrease anxiety, it does not teach the dog new behaviors or ways to respond to its environment, so I recommend you consult with a knowledgeable, reward-based trainer for assistance in evaluating and modifying your dog's behavior issues.

If you do not know of such a trainer or have access to one, one thing that is really a big bonus with the Anxiety Wrap is that you get free, professional advice and a behavior modification plan along with the purchase of the product if you fill out the online survey they send you. The advice is personalized by a certified professional trainer!

If your dog barks excessively and that is due to anxiety, you may find the Face Wrap useful. I have found this product as well to be quite magical in calming dogs that have anxious barking. It works almost immediately - they calm down and can focus.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your dog!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-02-2012, 05:49 AM
What is a "face wrap"?
Clicker trainer
New Member!
Female 

09-02-2012, 06:09 AM
A Face Wrap is a piece of elastic with a snap fastener that fits across the dog's muzzle and around his neck like a neck collar. The gentle pressure over the dog's muzzle exerts a calming effect. You can see a picture of one on the company website: www.anxietywrap.com.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >