Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 03:20 PM

Lake District folk - advice needed

Yo people

Neil, Woody & I have a lovely little cottage booked, right on Lake Coniston for a week over our first wedding anniversary/Woody's first birthday.

I'd like to know if there are any restaurants nearby that you would recommend for the evening of our anniversary. We like most things but seafood is a BIG favourite.

Alternatively, any good take aways as it might be nice to spend that evening in with Woody rather than go out and leave him on his own.

Pidge x
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Drunken Duck Inn
We went here for our anniversary a couple of years ago and it's lovely. However, it needs booking quite a bit in advance and is quite pricey, so is definitely a 'special occasion' place. We drove, and left Max in the car whilst we ate, and checked on him between courses (he was either asleep or eating a pigs ear )
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Chesters - Cafe by the river

Is lovely as well, much more relaxed, more of a cafe than a restaurant but serving fabulous food. We often go in for lunch when we're up that way. Has a lovely posh gallery/shop place attached as well.

Can eat outside if weather is nice, dogs allowed on terrace. Owned by the same company that own the Drunken Duck (above)
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 06:14 PM
When are you going Pidge?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Ooooo are you allowed to leave a dog in the property alone? Every one Ive been in you cant and there are very heavy penalties for nuisance and damage if you do.

Cant comment on restaurants in Coniston, but the Tower Bank Arms in Far Sawrey do great pub meals and you can take Woody too!!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Drunken Duck Inn
We went here for our anniversary a couple of years ago and it's lovely. However, it needs booking quite a bit in advance and is quite pricey, so is definitely a 'special occasion' place. We drove, and left Max in the car whilst we ate, and checked on him between courses (he was either asleep or eating a pigs ear )
Love it!

Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Chesters - Cafe by the river

Is lovely as well, much more relaxed, more of a cafe than a restaurant but serving fabulous food. We often go in for lunch when we're up that way. Has a lovely posh gallery/shop place attached as well.

Can eat outside if weather is nice, dogs allowed on terrace. Owned by the same company that own the Drunken Duck (above)
Even better!

Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
When are you going Pidge?
4-7 Sep, anniversary and Woody's first is Sat 5th Sept ;o)

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Ooooo are you allowed to leave a dog in the property alone? Every one Ive been in you cant and there are very heavy penalties for nuisance and damage if you do.

Cant comment on restaurants in Coniston, but the Tower Bank Arms in Far Sawrey do great pub meals and you can take Woody too!!
Oooooo, no. Which is why we have his travel crate. To be honest though, the whole point of booking the holiday is to spend time with him so I would rather find somewhere that we can take him or get a take away. It just needs to be special too as is our first.

Will have a look at the Tower Bank. Thanks.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 07:50 PM
We are going to stay at the Rothay Manor in August and the afternnon tea and cakes are supposed to be in the top 50 in the world! I will let you know whether it lives up to its reputation.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
We are going to stay at the Rothay Manor in August and the afternnon tea and cakes are supposed to be in the top 50 in the world! I will let you know whether it lives up to its reputation.
Ooo yes please. We could always have high tea instead and then struggle back to the cottage for a picnic by the lake. We have a private section of the lake as part of the proprty which will be perfect for picnics, swimming (skinny ;o) and mooring the kayaks, which reminds me, I must order Woody's life jacket!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Love it!

Even better!

4-7 Sep, anniversary and Woody's first is Sat 5th Sept ;o)

Oooooo, no. Which is why we have his travel crate. To be honest though, the whole point of booking the holiday is to spend time with him so I would rather find somewhere that we can take him or get a take away. It just needs to be special too as is our first.

Will have a look at the Tower Bank. Thanks.
Excellent. Its the pub seen in the Tales of Beatrix Potter, and the recent film "Miss Potter" Her farm "Hill Top Farm" is right behind it, nice for a visit.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Excellent. Its the pub seen in the Tales of Beatrix Potter, and the recent film "Miss Potter" Her farm "Hill Top Farm" is right behind it, nice for a visit.
OMG really? I LOVE Miss Potter!!! Had a look. Not much for food for us (seafood loving veggies) but looks worth a visit for sure so have added it to our list. thanks ;o)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >