View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 06:54 AM
TBH, I love to eat meat (wish I didn't), but I could well see me turning veggie if I had to raise it myself (totally hypocritical, I know).

I'm way too soft to raise an animal only to kill and eat it.

I'm not condemning those that do - you are far more 'honest' than I am
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
TBH, I love to eat meat (wish I didn't), but I could well see me turning veggie if I had to raise it myself (totally hypocritical, I know).

I'm way too soft to raise an animal only to kill and eat it.

I'm not condemning those that do - you are far more 'honest' than I am
I am exactly the same. I enjoy eating meat, but could never kill anything myself, and wouldn't even enjoy eating an animal I had raised myself or known. Total hypocrite I know.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 12:08 PM
i know exactly what you mean luke! my friends think im weird because of how "country" i am. since growing up a bit ive come back to my roots, (farmers wife through and through me! just need to find the farmer! )

my dream is to have a house, with land and have sheep, beef stock pigs chickens etc.. id love vegetable patches etc, but unless i find a farmer to marry (or huntsmen will do ) then its looking like a dream..

i dont have a big enough space where i live to grow veg or have other animals, but i always look at the typical farm houses, i know thats where im meant to be living!

for now, i try and stick to my roots by getting meat from local butchers (i.e all my pork comes from a friend whos a pig farmer) eggs and veg from local farms etc. that and rabbiting and hunting, plus messing at friends farm lambing, foaling or whatever, make me think im still the country girl

i will get there eventually. im not the type of person who can live in a town and buy everything in, it would be my dream lifestyle to raise and do everything myself, and i will have it! (going off to look for the rich young farmers now )
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i know exactly what you mean luke! my friends think im weird because of how "country" i am. since growing up a bit ive come back to my roots, (farmers wife through and through me! just need to find the farmer! )

my dream is to have a house, with land and have sheep, beef stock pigs chickens etc.. id love vegetable patches etc, but unless i find a farmer to marry (or huntsmen will do ) then its looking like a dream..

i dont have a big enough space where i live to grow veg or have other animals, but i always look at the typical farm houses, i know thats where im meant to be living!

for now, i try and stick to my roots by getting meat from local butchers (i.e all my pork comes from a friend whos a pig farmer) eggs and veg from local farms etc. that and rabbiting and hunting, plus messing at friends farm lambing, foaling or whatever, make me think im still the country girl

i will get there eventually. im not the type of person who can live in a town and buy everything in, it would be my dream lifestyle to raise and do everything myself, and i will have it! (going off to look for the rich young farmers now )
I'll sell you my OH Clo!!!!!
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Plenty of young farmers my way Clo!

I would know I went out with a few
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I'll sell you my OH Clo!!!!!

Originally Posted by spockky boy View Post
Plenty of young farmers my way Clo!

I would know I went out with a few
send some my way!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 04:28 PM
I would love to keep chickens and quails, but birds scare me. And sheep eyes scare me, pigs scare me, cows - too big for my garden..

I keep rabbits as pets and the OH would kill me if I suggested putting the pets in the pot..
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 06:17 PM
I eat what I shoot! Rabbit, pheasant & pidgeon are quite often on my menu! I keep chickens for eggs, but am considering getting more chickens and start to grow them for the pot. We almost achieved it in Scotland, we had 8 hens and they all hatched a brood, we had about 50 chickens in the end and the plan was to eat the majority of them, until they started the mysteriously disappear!! It doesn't bother me at all having to kill something to eat it! I'd love to keep pigs etc I have enough land that I could split for various stock, but I wouldn't know where to start with getting relevant paperwork and things sorted!

I get all my other meat from a local butcher but at the moment, I buy my veg from the supermarket, the local veggie shop's produce doesn't seem to last in the fridge that long!

I have got a space that looks to have been a veggie patch before now, so my Dad & Grandad are going to come up and help me get it up and running because I have no idea where to start! I've started my growing campaign with corriander on the kitchen window sill!

My little sisters (11 & 4) love coming to my house and collecting the eggs from the chickens, then they have egg & soldiers and we make lots of cakes!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
I eat what I shoot! Rabbit, pheasant & pidgeon are quite often on my menu! I keep chickens for eggs, but am considering getting more chickens and start to grow them for the pot. We almost achieved it in Scotland, we had 8 hens and they all hatched a brood, we had about 50 chickens in the end and the plan was to eat the majority of them, until they started the mysteriously disappear!! It doesn't bother me at all having to kill something to eat it! I'd love to keep pigs etc I have enough land that I could split for various stock, but I wouldn't know where to start with getting relevant paperwork and things sorted!

I get all my other meat from a local butcher but at the moment, I buy my veg from the supermarket, the local veggie shop's produce doesn't seem to last in the fridge that long!

I have got a space that looks to have been a veggie patch before now, so my Dad & Grandad are going to come up and help me get it up and running because I have no idea where to start! I've started my growing campaign with corriander on the kitchen window sill!

My little sisters (11 & 4) love coming to my house and collecting the eggs from the chickens, then they have egg & soldiers and we make lots of cakes!
Sounds like my perfect life..pfft jealous much I want to start going out on the local shoots mœe, I'd live to learn to shoot myself, but I don't know if I would trust me with a gun I love the idea of taking the dogs out to retrieve the food, still haven't tried pigeon though!

I'd love to grow vegetables but like you have no idea where to start! I did have a bell pepper plant but it didn't grow very uh and the bugs got the small peppers it did produce
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3