Of course............

Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
only when clicker trained
...........Ta
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Right bid has been placed so we shall see how we get one Dead excited now!!!!!!

ETA - What do people use for bedding in the coop? We used to use straw as we had it for the horses but anything i use now will just be for the chucks. I use shredded paper for the rats nesting material would this be ok in the nesting boxes too?

Also where have people gone to get there ex battery hens?
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 08:43 AM
I use hay in the nest boxes (although it can harbour mites but I've never had a problem), and easi-bed, which is a horse bedding. I don't see why you can't use shredded paper.

Have a look on here http://www.bhwt.org.uk/

Good luck!!

Helen
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 08:48 AM
We got ours from fresh start for hens, they are based in Shrewsbury. I think they may have been all been taken this time but we pick them up on sat.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2012, 10:02 AM
I'm afraid to say, I think that coop will be a "pig in a poke ", for a start, you don't know what manner of pests will already be resident in it. The roof looks to be a haven for red mite, and believe me, once you have them, they are very difficult to get rid off, I know people to have taken a blow torch to the inside of the coop and still had red mites, the only methods proven to get rid of them are either Ficam W or old fashioned creosote. To cut down on the chance of red mite the roof should be made of Onduline.

Second, you don't know what quality the coop is, it could be made from flimsy thin T&G, which doesn't last long and tends to let water in ( shiplap is best ).

If you don't get the E bay one I'd advise to steer clear of ark's, as they are triangular the only area usable by the hens is the very middle, they won't be able to roost properly ( they must have a roost bar).
Personally I wouldn't touch most on E bay with a barge pole, they tend to be cheap imports and don't last very long.
Ventilation is also very important, even in the winter hens need good ventilation or they can succumb to respiratory disease.
If you want to do hen keeping cheaply then DIY would be my choice.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Here's an excellent guide on what to look for when buying a coop http://www.henhouses.co.uk/choices.html

I have one of these coops, I would buy this brand again, but I would go for one with a slide out floor.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Didnt win this so still on the hunt for a coop. A battle was won though which is the main thing!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3