Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Sounds great.

We could pop in for tea at weekends !
that'd be nice Phil Whereabouts in Perthshire are you?
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Phil's wife. Karen here!

Glen Lyon from what my family tell me recently has a real community feel, the majority of people up there are incomers nowadays but seem to support eachother well (I know they do things like get together and arrange bulk Asda deliveries etc).
The Glen is quite remote but on the other hand I think it means the community up there are more supportive of eachother, plus Aberfeldy isn't that far away for basic shopping, doctors etc.
I'd move up there like a shot if I had the chance!
There's a wee (and I do mean wee!) primary school which I think gets a lot of local support. (if a job came up there I'd be very tempted!!!)

We're about an hour from Aberfeldy but my family are in Fearnan and Keltneyburn so we go up that way quite often for visits at weekends and Phil heads up Glen Lyon any chance he gets with his camera!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the information Karen. I have been speaking to a couple of people up there and they say the very same thing as you - about the community spirit, and how many are now incomers to the area in any event, so there won't be the same possibility of some hostility as might otherwise be the case.

It sounds (and looks, from Phil's pics) absolutely gorgeous. We are going up after lambing time to speak to the estate manager about the job on offer, and also to have a look at the location and the houses on offer as well (of which there are two).

Thanks again. Inside information is always welcome and invaluable.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 08:11 AM
Does anyone know of a website where you can find out the local amenities for an area?

I now know about the primary school in Glen Lyon, thanks to Karen However, I would also like to know if there are any small local shops, the post office etc, that kind of thing.

We are planning on going up in a couple of weeks to have a look around
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Does anyone know of a website where you can find out the local amenities for an area?

I now know about the primary school in Glen Lyon, thanks to Karen However, I would also like to know if there are any small local shops, the post office etc, that kind of thing.

We are planning on going up in a couple of weeks to have a look around
one way would be to check out the houses for sale in the area - not that you are looking to buy, but the agents usually give a description of the area in terms of schools, shops etc.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 10:47 AM
We went walking around Glen Lyon last September (we stay very near Karen/Phil's parents/inlaws I think). I remember it being absolutely gorgeous.

The Bridge of Balgie has a post office, gallery and tea room, but I think you'd have to head into Kenmore/Aberfeldy for more substantial shopping etc.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
one way would be to check out the houses for sale in the area - not that you are looking to buy, but the agents usually give a description of the area in terms of schools, shops etc.
Not sure there will be many for sale (I believe there are only about 100 people in the whole of the 25 mile glen!), but will certainly have a look, thanks Fiona.

Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
We went walking around Glen Lyon last September (we stay very near Karen/Phil's parents/inlaws I think). I remember it being absolutely gorgeous.
The Bridge of Balgie has a post office, gallery and tea room, but I think you'd have to head into Kenmore/Aberfeldy for more substantial shopping etc.
Thanks Iso. Will definitely have to have a good run around in the pick-up while we are up. Do you have any photos of your walk in Glen Lyon?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Up Ben Lawers, heading towards Glen Lyon - looking back towards Loch Tay

Ben Lawers in the mist

On the Meggernie Estate in Glen Lyon (can't remember the hill's name!)

Will look for some more at home (these are just what I've put in Photobucket)
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Glen lyon is a wonderful, wonderful place thats were we watched eagles teaching their young to fly. ive only driven through the glen twice but it is outstanding,the few locals we did speak to were very friendly.
jeanette
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Absolutely beautiful pics Iso, thanks.

Thanks Jeanette - sounds bloomin' brilliant!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >