View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2008, 07:00 PM
ok say £65 for a cat, it may be neutered & mirco-chipped, but just say the person buying it is on benefits & could have had the neutered for free anyway & micro-chipping is only £12.50 in my new vets say the cat they buy from a advert is £25? and say they dont bother chippin it anyway?
i know rescues try and do the best thing for the animals though.
i also do not think that statment is true just because some people cant come up for a lump some say £450 for a pedigree cat doesnt mean they cant look after cats, millions of people on low wages or benefits can afford animals, some people just cant come up witha large lump some to buy them!!
some people might put away for vets bill or get insurance (life saver that is!)

also rescues have alot of restrictions, i know they need some thought. i phoned about 5 rescues i wanted a kitten or older cat i just wanted to give a cat a good home, i phoned the local cats protection & others places i finally got through to a lady who was fostering who sounded *shocked* at the fact i said he wouldnt be going out, as right now i live in a very large spacious apartment, i have 11years expereince of cats & will be home all day & night & the cat will be throughly spoiled!
the kitten she had was only 8weeks but had already been outside, so she just said no & she knew of no others that would let me have one!

all the places i phoned said the same thing, even thre older cats had bee out. i dont know is this is a idea but maybe keep the kittens indoors? that way flat owners can adopt, otherwise its making the market smaller for people to adopt so we go and buy from adverts! ive spoke to alot of flat owners who had the same thing being turned down and they end up buying cats.

some house owners with gardens keep their cats indoors anyway!!

i also feel very guilty that i paid £50 for my kitten who has gone to fund a terrible woman who has just her her 5th litter in 20weeks for sale yet she has no cats?!

where as i could have helped out a rescue!
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2008, 07:02 PM
I've just been reminded that my OH and I saw an advert for lurcher pups in the window of a local petshop the other day. The breeder was selling them for £150. Bearing in mind that lurchers are essentially cross breeds and a lot of cross-bred pups seem to be selling for a lot of money these days, and then as I said in my previous post, there's the cost of vaccs, microchip, neutering, etc, paying the money to a rescue is actually cheaper, and the rescue should also make an effort to try to match a dog to your lifestyle.

I think a lot of people discount rescues because of the necessity for homechecking, which some folks seem to disagree with , and that it takes a lot longer to go through the rescue's procedures. Ella was a private rehoming, and it was literally about 24 hours from me making the initial contact to bringing her home. This time round, because we're rescuing, it's been almost a month, and although we've passed our homecheck, he still isn't home.
sarah8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2008, 07:15 PM
I agree some rescues don't do themselves any favours but realise they have to do checks. And most of those checks are done by volunteers in their own time so delays are inevitable. However, if you are buying a pedigree or cross-breed for £150.00 you can be more or less certain that they won't be micro-chipped, vaccinated, behaviour tested, seen by a vet or would you be able to take it back if it develops problems or get further advice.

I think we can knock Rescue Homes for some of their conditions. I don't agree with them not giving a cat to someone who is offering them a spacious home because it will be kept indoors. I have an elderly cat who looks at me in disgust if I want her to go out to the garden.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2008, 07:21 PM
deleted have gone mad!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Maybe some people think that £150 - 200 is too much for a rescue and go to the puppy farmer down the road instead so they get "more or their money" - sad but true!!
That would be my worry and I'm sure there are plenty of people like that. It's tempting to say 'well if they think like that, they shouldn't have a dog', but don't forget for many this will be their first experience of owning a dog; sometimes I think it's not until you've experience owning a dog that you can really appreciate their 'worth'.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2008, 07:39 PM
I would say no, compared to what morons are charging for "designer" crossbreeds!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Difficult - I would say no - the charge needs to be that much to stop impulse-buying, and the rescues are only usually covering their costs.
Of my 4:
Laddie was £90 which just covered them neutering him.
Bran was a foster so free - but I pay food, vet bills etc. He was passported and transported from Greece then his home fell through so they would be well out of pocket.
Daisy was £125 - not neutered and only in a week but they had kennels full of big hard-to-home male GSD`s so that went towards their costs.
Shamus was £130 - he was flown over from Ireland and neutered so they must have lost a fair bit on him.

Now I`m retired I know I will have to save up if I have a chance to get another - but there`s nothing wrong with that. The Rescues have to ensure their animals go to homes where they`re valued and unfortunately, most people think Cheap means Worthless.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2008, 08:11 PM
I don't think so, it costs a lot to look after the dogs and I also think it can act as a deterent for people who want to go and get a cheap pedigree dog.....which unfortunately some people do want!
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2008, 08:14 PM
The place I work at our adoption fee includes a health check, vaccine and microchip, 6 weeks of FREE Pet Insurance, Identification Tag and a free bag of sample food to start the dog off.
All dogs are from £70.00 Puppies £100.00. we also provide neutering, at a much reduced rate, bitches were £55 think that has recently gone up to $6o and Males were £40 now I think its £45. the overheads are unbeleiveable running a rescue center, even with staff getting paid at the minimum rate. and remember a registered charity CANNOT make a profit, so if a charity charges a certain amount, this amount MUST be required to cover the running costs of that center.

mo
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Seriously, I would say no.

Rescues often take in dogs who are in need of a lot of vetirinary care. They provide shelter and food for them, as well as cover the costs of neutering and spaying. Then there is the behavioural side where the dogs are tested to see if they are suitable for rehoming and what types of homes they would need. Plus many other things like admin and cleaning out the kennels etc plus many other things I haven't mentioned.
Page 2 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »