Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 09:36 PM

Hamster taming?????

Any handy hints for eprsuading him to be picked up etc please???
Ta all!!!
Axxxxxxxxxx
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 09:39 PM
The only thing I can suggest is stroke him and try and hand feed him whilst he's still in the cage. He's gonna be a bit skitish at the moment as everything is new to him.

Don't forget that hamsters are very short sighted and rely mainly on smell. Once he's familiar with his surroundings, he may be a bit easier to handle.

The other thing is to try and pick him up in one scoop.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks Wolfie.
My son has been hand feeding him in the cage, and he lets him stroke him if he's preoccupied with something else. He's only nipped about 6 times but flew at him today (literally).
He doesn't like his hand being on the bottom floor of his cage....
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 09:45 PM
It will take time. The same could well happen if your son puts his hand over the top of him too. As they can't see very well, they consider it a threat to them.

It took us a few weeks before we could handle Marmite without the aid of a gardening glove (One of the really thick one's) At first she used to go mad as soon as we put our hands anywhere near her. Over time, she used to nip coz she wasn't sure what our hands were and thought she'd see if they were a food source
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2007, 09:49 PM
I used to have a hamster, ages ago. I think we left her in her cage for a couple of days then began putting out hands in the cage, not trying to touch her but just there. Then once she was ok with the hand being in the cage, we placed some food in our hand and let her take it. Once she was ok with this and not showing signs of nervousness, we would gently stroke her. Our hamster was tame not long after we got her so it wasn't long before we could pick her up.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 09:49 PM
How long before you picked her up???
He's been pretty good so far I think, just not sure how to advance it onto picking him up...should we leave even trying for a bit?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks Tee...he's happy to be stroked if he's doing something else...just not sure what the next step is and when we should push things on....
He'll take food from our hands now...well, from our fingers at least...
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
How long before you picked her up???
He's been pretty good so far I think, just not sure how to advance it onto picking him up...should we leave even trying for a bit?
It took about two weeks, and that was only with a glove on Marmite is a bit of a feisty one, so it probably took longer than normal.

Another thing I've just remembered is that we used to open the cage door and put our hand flat beside the door. She used to eventually venture out (with the occasional nip) onto our hand.

She'll still try it on, but it's no where near as bad as she was.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Sounds like the nips are going to continue then and he'll just have to live with it???
I like the door idea..can't use it though as the 'door' is in the ceiling!!!!!!!!! Wish I could though as that is a good one!!!
Just wondering how I can get the hamster to voluntarily walk onto his hand???? Hmmmmmmmmm.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Sounds like the nips are going to continue then and he'll just have to live with it???
I like the door idea..can't use it though as the 'door' is in the ceiling!!!!!!!!! Wish I could though as that is a good one!!!
Just wondering how I can get the hamster to voluntarily walk onto his hand???? Hmmmmmmmmm.
Food It worked for Marmite
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >