Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 07:19 AM

Horse riding lessons

I have always really liked and admired horses but was totally dog-mad (obsessed! ) from a very young age and so never took horse riding lessons like my sister or showed any real interest, as I was too busy walking all and sundry's dogs in the village where I grew up until I got my own

However, the older I have got, the more I wanted to learn to ride as a new hobby and so decided I wanted to start before I am 40 (which I am in 2 years ). So I started lessons and I am hooked! I absolutely love it!

I am not having formal lessons as such, but am going for weekly "instructional hacks" and it is such fun.

Here are a few pics from yesterday's ride. Unfortunately I haven't got the hang of riding and taking photos yet, so they are all stationary! Wills, my stepson, is also learning with me and so I got him to hold my lovely Highland mount while I took some shots. He always gets to ride the very safe and sturdy Pooh Bear, who is just a complete sweetheart.

Did anyone else learn to ride at a more mature age? How easy did you find it?

Some of the stables horses in the field.

My lovely Highland Garron, Piper, waiting for me

Wills getting a help onto Pooh Bear

I asked Wills to hold Piper for me when we had finished our ride, but poor Piper was sooo hungry he pulled Wills straight back into the stable for a munch of hay

Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 08:06 AM
Great photo's, Piper is lovely looking and Pooh Bear sounds like the horse I learnt to ride on, stubborn as a mule, but great for learning.
Not sure about the late riding experiences, I learnt to ride after I learnt to walk, haven't been on one in about a decade, but I do miss it terribly.
I could only imagine the aches and pains after riding for an hour, one thing about riding, it gives you muscle pains in muscles you never use to know existed.
I know of a few who were late horsey people, some were really good and had the knack of it, some well they enjoyed it but terrified everyone else
So much to learn about them and if you are keen that is the key and age has little to do with it (except the extent of the aches and pains )
Look forward to more piccies and updates
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Great photo's you will really enjoy it...stick with it.

I learnt at a very early age....on shire horses no less more like riding on a bed

I helped at stables from 13 (saturdays) and used to help my friend exercise hers up till about 4 years ago. I really miss it, would love to own one .... maybe one day (one can dream)
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Lovely photos and im so glad you're getting to learn now. I think its easier to learn when your young and kids seem fearless. I introduced my friend to riding though when she was 40 and now she loves it. She was lucky, she was quite the natural and is quite happy galloping across the fields on a 17.1hh irish hunter now!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2010, 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
Great photo's, Piper is lovely looking and Pooh Bear sounds like the horse I learnt to ride on, stubborn as a mule, but great for learning.
Not sure about the late riding experiences, I learnt to ride after I learnt to walk, haven't been on one in about a decade, but I do miss it terribly.
I could only imagine the aches and pains after riding for an hour, one thing about riding, it gives you muscle pains in muscles you never use to know existed.
I know of a few who were late horsey people, some were really good and had the knack of it, some well they enjoyed it but terrified everyone else
So much to learn about them and if you are keen that is the key and age has little to do with it (except the extent of the aches and pains )
Look forward to more piccies and updates
Thanks for your reply Emma I really wish I had now learned when I was younger as I am enjoying it so much, but better late than never

Another great thing about learning now (as opposed to when I was younger), is that I am in a position to have a horse of my own when I feel competent enough to get the best out of one.

I am going again next Saturday, so will get more pics.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2010, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
Lovely photos and im so glad you're getting to learn now. I think its easier to learn when your young and kids seem fearless. I introduced my friend to riding though when she was 40 and now she loves it. She was lucky, she was quite the natural and is quite happy galloping across the fields on a 17.1hh irish hunter now!
Hopefully I will be like your friend I think it helps that I am used to being around all kinds of animals on the farm, so don't have the fear of horses I have noticed in a few of the new riders. Ooh I LOVE Hunters - any pics?

I think you are right though, that it is definitely easier to learn when you are young (like with most things) but I would just like to get good enough to be a confident happy hacker
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Great photo's you will really enjoy it...stick with it.

I learnt at a very early age....on shire horses no less more like riding on a bed

I helped at stables from 13 (saturdays) and used to help my friend exercise hers up till about 4 years ago. I really miss it, would love to own one .... maybe one day (one can dream)
I am absolutely loving it and will definitely stick with it I went out and bought my own hat and boots yesterday.

I used to sit on a shire horse on my Gran's farm in Ireland, but don't remember much about him as I was so wee.

I hope you realise your dream and get one of your own Steph.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2010, 11:34 AM
I taught my mum to ride when she was 60. I used to teach riding and had many more mature pupils. It`s more about attitude than age what pace you learn at - the more tense you are, the longer it takes to learn. You should be fine as you understand animals.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I taught my mum to ride when she was 60. I used to teach riding and had many more mature pupils. It`s more about attitude than age what pace you learn at - the more tense you are, the longer it takes to learn. You should be fine as you understand animals.
Sorry Claire, I have only just seen your reply. Good on your mum - that takes some b*lls My instructor said it is all about building confidence and is definitely about attitude and a willingness to learn. I have surprised myself in how relaxed I feel, so hopefully should continue to learn relatively quickly (I am so impatient for my own horse )
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 01:21 PM
We went on another hour's hack yesterday and had a fabby time I can see how easy it is to get hooked!

I was on the mare I had my first lesson on, and she is so gentle and kind, I adore her. My sister came too, and we all took photos of each other on our horses but then my camera decided to have a flip-out and kept saying "read only" error when I tried to get the photos off onto the laptop This meant I had to format the memory card and lost all the photos I managed to find two photos of Black Mane which had got onto the camera memory, rather than the card, so here they are.

Hubby is coming down with us next week, so I will get him to get some piccies of us all saddled up and ready to go then.

We did lots of trotting and uphill/downhill riding, as well as some roadwork and the instructor said it won't be long before we can have a go at cantering. Very exciting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >