Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 03:41 PM

Raw and variety...?

I'm getting a food order delivered tonight, normally I order one food for a month but this time I thought I would give a little more variety over the month as I dont have the option in between....

So, anyway, he had lamb for a month (offal was lambs liver)

then chicken (which he has gone off ) chicken liver and lamb liver and pig pancreas and pigs kidney for offal

so this month he was getting pheasant, turkey and lamb but there is no pheasant, so he is getting lamb and some turkey over the month (and lambs liver and kidney from the butchers).

Is that enough variety? or do some of you think he could do with more variety more often?

And whats the variations most people like to feed?
Next order if there is no pheasant he will give me venison, so he should still get something different.....

Just curious to see what people think....
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 03:50 PM
I would say feed as much variety as you can get your hands on, as long as it all agrees with the dog! Remember to introduce new meats slowly and don't introduce a bunch at a time, otherwise you may upset his tum and have trouble spotting a pattern between a new meat and signs of an intolerance.
Mine get chicken, beef, pork, lamb and fish regularly, rabbit at least twice a month (whole), and meats like turkey and venison as and when (got a big stash of venison at the mo so the dogs are in luck).
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 04:01 PM
He did really well on lamb, even though he was so active at the time. He looked great on it and so I think he needs the red meat and calories in his diet but I realise that he needs variety too (but beef is a no go!) So I'm thinking each month, keep lamb as a 'staple' of sorts and just make sure that he has a 'new' meat in that month too (which will be turkey this month) Cant seem to get lambs tripe anywhere though! I'll just have to keep an eye out for stuff..just seems that he is stuck with lamb and pig for offal...
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Have you tried asking around butchers? Those that prepare the meat themselves rather than getting it all pre-cut may be better. Offal makes up a pretty small proportion of the diet though so I wouldn't worry too much.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 04:40 PM
I think so many people shop online and at supermarkets now that mostly its lamb, beef and chicken here, but I think I should ask about lungs from the lamb....after seeing it on here.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Jakes gets chicken, beef, pork, lamb and fish. He also occasionally gets rabbit, but thats more a treat coz its expensive where i get it.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 08:46 PM
no such joy at the butchers then, the lungs are already out and sent to a factory for haggis and other products before the lamb gets there! oh well....on the up side he said he will keep some lamb bones aside for me to pick up tommorow.

I was just told tonight that the cost of rabbit is high because there isnt enough and some of the whole rabbits are tiny, hence price per weight will probably go up. To do with last winter and now this one is early too, apparently.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Jakes gets chicken, beef, pork, lamb and fish. He also occasionally gets rabbit, but thats more a treat coz its expensive where i get it.
have you not tried the prize choice mince blocks. they do one called rabbit dinner, and its 83p a block from PAH or cheaper from the suppliers. tried mine on it the other night and they loved it just a thought..
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2010, 08:38 AM
so far mine have...

turkey
chicken (although they are not so keen)
beef
lamb
tripe
rabbit
tuna now and again

i normally add a bit of pasta or some vegetable to it to bulk it up a bit, dont see anything wrong with a bit of pasta for them.

i tried them on chicken wings but they werent really interested so i dont know what to feed bone wise...

im slowly adding more to their diet because i think the variation is good for them... im going to add heart kidney and liver at some point, the supplier ive found does bags of it frozen quite cheap too, also im going to try turkey necks or wings as they prefer turkey to chicken... and i also want to try some different fish maybe sardines. they do get an egg once a week but they wont eat that raw so they get it scrambled. sometimes add a bit of cheese as a treat for them, as well as yumega plus and a bit of garlic once a day.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
have you not tried the prize choice mince blocks. they do one called rabbit dinner, and its 83p a block from PAH or cheaper from the suppliers. tried mine on it the other night and they loved it just a thought..
Thanks I used to feed those blocks when I first started him on raw, but they can be hard to get coz I don’t drive, so always had to rely on my parents running over to PAH. Although, the price has gone up 3p! I am going to PAH today to get fish stuff, so may get some for Jake… I have to clean the bathroom for my mum, so I can get a run he does love those blocks though.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >