View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2011, 06:25 PM

A question on the safety of half check collars & a hello!

Hiya first of all!

I have been AWOL! Life has been rather busy and i just had no time for online shenanigans. Dp had a hernia op and the boys both have tonsillitis and chest infections etc...i am rather tired!

The reason for my post is to find out the general consensus regarding the safety of half check collars when used in a training class.

I have NO issues with Delilah AT ALL, she walks well on her harness and she has a flat collar for her tag (i was considering a collar/harness connector just in case though) I am a die hard positive trainer and refuse to use any aids that i consider to be negative, cause pains, discomfort etc just like the majority of Dogsey folk

So i look forward to reading every one's opinions

BTW I have spoken to the trainer and she seemed to speak "my language" Of course the proof is in the pudding and i have taken on advice from other threads about checking out classes and only joining the right one for you and your dog.

I wonder if anyone in Kent has had experience of this trainer? She is based in Rochester - i don't like to mention her website though in case it is against the rules

Thanks in advance folks
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Safety in what way? I use half checks for my GSDs because they have heavy ruffs and need a collar that sits low. I`ve never had one break. But my dogs don`t pull.
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2011, 06:34 PM
In the way of not being a choke chain, I have never used one you see. What is the chain bit used for? Or is it just a comfort thing?

All questions that i suppose i should just call up and ask the trainer eh?
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2011, 06:47 PM
i use half check on my two rotties, for two reasons, one, if they pull backwards it wont slip over their head (not that they do lol) and two, if necessary and i need to give them an"oi, pay attention to me etc.." i will give a very quick check with the lead, all this does is cause the chain to make a clinking noise, it does NOT tighten around the neck anymore than a regular flat collar. when i get their attention, they get rewarded
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Much depends on how you fit them.

To use as a choke chain, the gap between the fabric part of the collar is set so that it is open (with the chain part bridging the gap) when the collar is at brought together (hope that makes sense). Fitting it this way, when the lead is taught the collar closes to the point that the 'choke' effect occurs.

However, when fitted so that the fabric part of the collar comes together causing the collar only to tighten to that of a regular flat collar then, of course, the choking effect can't happen
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Ah...
The chain bit isn`t meant to act as a choke. When you fit the collar the fabric bits should pull together no tighter than a normal flat collar. The point of it is that the pressure on the collar tightens it and stops the dog slipping out of it. So it`s useful as a loose collar they can`t slip out of.
Some people say the chain bit acts as a training aid but I don`t use it for that. I just use it cos it`s easy to slip on and doesn`t damage a GSD ruff.

You could look into a martingale collar (my shorthair wears one) if the chain thing puts you off. A martingale works the same but is all fabric.
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Oh fab! Thank you!

As i have never used one i was concerned about it's use but actually, it sounds like a handy thing to have in my plentiful dog accessory store (i think i have a bit of a lead addiction.... )
Delilah, for all of her angelic traits, is a budding escapologist...
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Tinglesnark View Post
Oh fab! Thank you!

As i have never used one i was concerned about it's use but actually, it sounds like a handy thing to have in my plentiful dog accessory store (i think i have a bit of a lead addiction.... )
Delilah, for all of her angelic traits, is a budding escapologist...
sounds ideal for her then
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 07:11 PM
My trainer also recommended a half check collar which I was dubious about at first...

After a while of talking to him and watching him with the other dogs in the class I agreed to get a soft martingale type collar from here:

http://www.collarsrus.co.uk/#/martingales-1/4524126032

which does everything the trainer wanted and doesn't feel as 'scary' to me.

The way my trainer uses the collar is that loose collar walking beside you is completely pressure free, the martingale bit is loose and the dog feels no pressure at all, then as they pull away, they feel the collar and can be reminded to move back to your side by use of positive methods as usual... He doesn't 'check' the dogs using the collar, and he always adjusts everyones collars for fit to make sure none are too tight. He says trust is a reward in itself and a dog that is walking beside you freely with no pressure is more rewarding and rewarded than one on a tight lead or tight collar...

Its an odd mix of different positive training methods mixed with some of the less extreme or controversial bits of the alpha dog CM thing... No rolling etc, but does define dogs by terms like assertive, submissive, dominant etc and refers to prey drives... but its working absolute wonders for Kismet... She doesn't pull any more, she trots happily alongside me watching where I'm going, she's much more calm and relaxed around other dogs and didn't even attack back when she was attacked recently..

So we're sticking with it for now
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2011, 09:36 PM
thanks for the advice folks! really helpful and relieving!