View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shamster
New Member!
Male 

17-03-2009, 09:15 AM

Hi to Everyone (looking for the right breed for me )

Hello! Just joined this forum as I am looking for a dog to live with my girlfriend and I. I want to find the perfect match in terms of breed for our circumstances and thought that you guys might be able to help?

I live in a 2 bed ground floor flat (small garden). I work from home 3 days a week but for the other 2 days I usually leave home at 6:30am and do not get back until 6:30pm. I am looking for a dog which is happy to be on its own for that kind of period of time. I know this is not ideal but I guess many people have this problem?

In terms of exercise this is not a problem. I would quite happily go for a walk either in the morning, evening or both depending on the dog.

I have looked after dogs in the past. My family had 2 labradors and ages ago we had a german pointer. I guess it would be best to look for a smaller type of dog for our accomadation.

Any suggestions, tips etc are highley appreciated.
Cheers

Sam
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Hi sam,
Welcome to Dogsey. I wouldn't think about a puppy if your going to be out for 12 hours or more.you will have no house left and the pup would need quite a lot of attention during its first 6 months or so. Having said that, all dogs need lots of attention
Maybe you could think about a rescue? An older dog, perhaps about 18 months to 2 years? that way you get the best of both worlds.
Living in a ground floor flat is not a problem, I know of people who live in smaller accomodation than you with 2 dogs or more. As long as the dog gets lots of exercise it will be fine.
If I were you I would go and have a look around the local resuce centres and check out all the breeds there. Talk to the rescue people they will be more than happy to advise you.
Good luck in your search
Elaine xx
Yellow Belly
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-03-2009, 10:52 AM
A young (12 months +) Whippet or a Schnauzer are meant to be ok to be left alone. You need a breed that is fairly 'thick'. Intelligent breeds tend to get destructive when left alone. Whippets/Greyhounds do not need that much excersise as you think, a quick sprint then they sleep all day.
I also think that 2 dogs are easier than 1 if you having them as pets and keep each other occupied. but some people say 2 are worse and harder to train because they bond with each other rather than you, but I do not agree.
If you get a cross watch what the cross is a Whippet/Collie cross (Lurcher) would not be suitable because of the collie
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2009, 10:52 AM

I would echo what Elaine has said - a pup doesn;t sound ideal for your situation. I would also maybe look into hiring someone to come and walk or spend some time with teh dog during teh period you are at work. Lots of dogs would have problems with house training over that period of time.

Good luck with your search.
Netpon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Definately look at getting an older dog. !2 hours is too long to leave ANY dog in my opinion so I would suggest hiring a dog walker for the days you work away
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by Yellow Belly View Post
A young (12 months +) Whippet or a Schnauzer are meant to be ok to be left alone. You need a breed that is fairly 'thick'. Intelligent breeds tend to get destructive when left alone. Whippets/Greyhounds do not need that much excersise as you think, a quick sprint then they sleep all day.
I also think that 2 dogs are easier than 1 if you having them as pets and keep each other occupied. but some people say 2 are worse and harder to train because they bond with each other rather than you, but I do not agree.
If you get a cross watch what the cross is a Whippet/Collie cross (Lurcher) would not be suitable because of the collie
Sorry but I have to disagree with you comment that Schnauzers are thick and OK to be left for 12 hours. NO DOG should be left alone for twelve hours. I would suggest you see if your budget allows you to use a dog walker or dog creche. Dogs are social creatures and can become distressed and bored if left alone for long periods. Two dogs can be company for each other but they can also be partners in crime. You are best to leave a 12 month gap between aquiring dogs, so that your dog bonds with you first and his canine pal second. If you can afford a sitter for your dog, look at dogs which have been bred to be sedate companions. I would avoid terriers, gundogs and pastoral dogs as they tend to get fed up easily. Good luck in your search, and hope your circumstances allow you to get a dog. I would echo what others have said though, and look for a young adults dog that's past all the toilet training and teething stage.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi! Welcome to Dogsey

Sorry, in my opinion, leaving a dog, young or old, small or large breed for 12 hours, is a definite NO GO!!!!

If you can't arrange a pet sitter/walker to break up the days on those that you are out for 12 hours, then I'd seriously think about whether you should get any dog at all at this time.
shamster
New Member!
Male 

17-03-2009, 11:19 AM
thanks for all of your responses, 12 hours is a proper worst case scenario. It would probably best roughly 10 hours as my girlfriend leaves a little later than me in the morning.

Getting a dog walker on those days sounds like a good idea actually. I am the worrier out of my partner and I and understand leaving a pet for that length of time is far from ideal deep down. Getting a dog walker on those days is a good idea.

Does anyone know roughly what the cost of this would be roughly?

Thanks

Sam
Yellow Belly
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Sorry but I have to disagree with you comment that Schnauzers are thick and OK to be left for 12 hours. NO DOG should be left alone for twelve hours. I would suggest you see if your budget allows you to use a dog walker or dog creche. Dogs are social creatures and can become distressed and bored if left alone for long periods. Two dogs can be company for each other but they can also be partners in crime. You are best to leave a 12 month gap between aquiring dogs, so that your dog bonds with you first and his canine pal second. If you can afford a sitter for your dog, look at dogs which have been bred to be sedate companions. I would avoid terriers, gundogs and pastoral dogs as they tend to get fed up easily. Good luck in your search, and hope your circumstances allow you to get a dog. I would echo what others have said though, and look for a young adults dog that's past all the toilet training and teething stage.
Sorry I did not meant to imply that Schnauzers or Whippets are thick, both Schnauzers and whippets are meant to be fairly non-descructive that makes more suitable to be left alone.
I also agree that 12 hours is way to long to leave a dog alone whatever the breed!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by Yellow Belly View Post
Sorry I did not meant to imply that Schnauzers or Whippets are thick, both Schnauzers and whippets are meant to be fairly non-descructive that makes more suitable to be left alone.
I also agree that 12 hours is way to long to leave a dog alone whatever the breed!
Sorry I'm a little narky today . Will try not be such a stresshead. Just having a rubbish day
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >