Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2012, 10:03 AM

Csj billy No mates

Hi everyone..

Me and Bentley have recently moved in with my boyfriend, he lives in the countryside and the garden backs onto a field of sheep and where we go for walks now it's all country fields/woods and I'm mega paranoid about fleas and ticks!!!

I frontline Bentley every 8 weeks but my vet said its ok to do every month so i might start doing that but have been looking at csj Billy no mates too just for extra protection. Is it ok to use them both together??

How effective do people find the billy no mates...... silly question but does it make the dog smell????

I havent ordered any yet but am thinking about it because it says on the website to use from easter onwards so thats about now so if its any good i will order some later.

Is the liquid or the powder better?? and last question... sorry.. Bentley has 3 other supplements everyday too.. my vet is always saying to many supplements are bad so should i stop them if i use Billy no mates?????

is direct from csj cheapest place??

So sorry for all questions, thank you very much.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Thre are several things you can give dogs to try and repel fleas some are topical some you can feed.

Some are "natural" and others are synthetics designed to kill parasites.

Some options are garlic, deterrant shampoos, brewers yeast, calendula oil

http://www.dorwest.com/catalogue/res...x?search=fleas

http://www.hiltonherbs.com/categories/general-health/17

Also look here

http://www.bada-uk.org/petsproblems/...prevention.php

Be aware that CSJ contains NEEM which is a natural contraceptive if you are considing breeding your bitch.
Lulusmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Have used Billy No Mates in past and I found no problems with my five but have a friend who has used it and she went back to frontline because it didn't have the desired effect. Strange thing is she lives in town with lovely parks and I live rural with woodland and fields? Why dont you try it for a few months and see how you go.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Think I used frontline once when the boy was little but thats only as I thought it was the right thing to do (he didnt have any at the time!). Never used it since and hes never had fleas nor ticks and we are fairly rural when it comes to sheep/woods etc off the beaten track when it comes to exercising.

Hes had the occasional compliment of Hedgehog fleas during hedgehog season but they are easily spotted and despatched maybe we are just lucky with his short coat (sorry not sure what breed bentley is!)

appreciate there is the worry about lymes disease with ticks though
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Thre are several things you can give dogs to try and repel fleas some are topical some you can feed.

Some are "natural" and others are synthetics designed to kill parasites.

Some options are garlic, deterrant shampoos, brewers yeast, calendula oil

http://www.dorwest.com/catalogue/res...x?search=fleas

http://www.hiltonherbs.com/categories/general-health/17

Also look here

http://www.bada-uk.org/petsproblems/...prevention.php

Be aware that CSJ contains NEEM which is a natural contraceptive if you are considing breeding your bitch.
Thank you for your help and reply. Bentley is a boy though I wont be having puppies from him!!

Originally Posted by Lulusmum View Post
Have used Billy No Mates in past and I found no problems with my five but have a friend who has used it and she went back to frontline because it didn't have the desired effect. Strange thing is she lives in town with lovely parks and I live rural with woodland and fields? Why dont you try it for a few months and see how you go.
Hi thank you for your reply. I was thinking of using it aswell as frontline... mega paranoid i know!! but I know frontline isnt always fully effective so dont want to rely on that alone and dont want to fully rely on Billy no mates either so I thought I would try a mix of both and hope that does the trick!

Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
Think I used frontline once when the boy was little but thats only as I thought it was the right thing to do (he didnt have any at the time!). Never used it since and hes never had fleas nor ticks and we are fairly rural when it comes to sheep/woods etc off the beaten track when it comes to exercising.

Hes had the occasional compliment of Hedgehog fleas during hedgehog season but they are easily spotted and despatched maybe we are just lucky with his short coat (sorry not sure what breed bentley is!)

appreciate there is the worry about lymes disease with ticks though
Thank you for your reply. Bentley is a westie so white and very easy to see if he has fleas but thing is he has skin conditions so I dont want to really risk him getting them at all because they will just make his skin worse and I dont want to risk them getting in the house either because we have carpets.

I think i will order some just to try, Im sure it wont harm to give it a whirl!

thank you everyone for your replies.
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2012, 06:04 PM
If you email CSJ and explain what else your dog is taking they should be able to advise you. They are really good at helping and getting back to you.

I've recently bought some Billy no mates for my lot, I can't tell you whether it works as we've only had it a few weeks, it doesn't make them smell but it smells like lime pickle!

I bought mine from a local supplier (powder) as that was all they have and it cost £11.99. I mix the powder with their food as I don't think they'd lick it up dry.

There are a lot of people on here who use it with good results.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 06:09 PM
I feed Jimmi the herb powder mix, and have found it very effective indeed. No smell from him at all, other than the normal obnoxious doggyness from time to time!
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Thank you very much for your replies ... i will email them now and see if it would be ok to take with his other supplements, they are just fish oil, a joint care tablet and probiotic powder so not vet medication so hopefully it will be ok but best to double check.

I have ordered a bottle of the liquid because i think it will be easier than the powder but if it isnt suitable for him then I will have to resell it on.

How much does a dog need everyday?? Bentley is 7 kg and my boyfriends dog who will be having it too is 18 kg.

Thanks xxxx
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by BentleyBoo View Post
Thank you very much for your replies ... i will email them now and see if it would be ok to take with his other supplements, they are just fish oil, a joint care tablet and probiotic powder so not vet medication so hopefully it will be ok but best to double check.

I have ordered a bottle of the liquid because i think it will be easier than the powder but if it isnt suitable for him then I will have to resell it on.

How much does a dog need everyday?? Bentley is 7 kg and my boyfriends dog who will be having it too is 18 kg.

Thanks xxxx
I don't know about the liquid, but it will have the recommended dosage on the bottle or packaging so don't worry. Jimmi is roughly the same weight as your little dog, and he has a level scoop of herb mix every day.........a tub lasts him quite a long time;