Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-08-2010, 07:51 PM

Horrible puppy training experience :-(

i took Arthur to his puppy training today, we go once a week and he has been doing soo well. we had a different person teaching today and we were inside not outside and Arthur was a lot more exited than usual (just being a puppy really)

well he was barking and so we asked her what to do when he is doing it and so she came over took the lead, yanked it really hard to the side and yelled at him (he was soo scared, the look he gave me was awful!!! he carried on barking once she walked off and so i just got his attention on me)

throuout the lesson she used lead tugging and shouting to ge the dogs to listen (it diddnt work)
then the worst bit was teaching them down, Arthur does down with a treat really nicely and sometimes without if he is listening but he was very hyper. to get them to lie down she made them sit grabbed their shoulders and threw them to the floor and hold them there (all the puppies yelped when she did this)

sorry im just ranting now but i felt so awful for letting her do this to him, am i just being silly or was she really being horrible to them??? (the other trainers seemed much nicer and friendler and he seemed to enjoy their company, he was so scared at the end when she came over he was trying to hide behind us)

thanks for getting this far
steve78
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-08-2010, 07:55 PM
id have took the lead and yanked her down i never raise my voice to my dogs unless its really really called for a cal but assertive way is a better way of training more rewarding and can also make it fun for both you and your dog
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 07:59 PM
I think I might have walked out?

Why was it a different person ?

How do the other trainers operate? I would certainly speak to your usual trainer about this and say you do not want to attend if this is the methods used.

But I would not go back to this person ever!

There really is no need for this training style at all.

Do you have a number - perhaps ring and discuss this experience with them. Its not good.

This week spend time with Arthur being positive and rewarding all the good things again. If this person is there next time - talk to them and say you won't be staying as you do not want your dog trained in this out of date methods.

Just because someone is in charge doens't mean they are right and you have every right to stand up to them.

Good luck
lianne1983
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Ahh that sounds awful for you and your pup. If your usual trainer is there next week I'd complain about the person you've just had and say about the poor pups yelping
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-08-2010, 08:04 PM
thanks for your replies, we usually have two male trainers who work together with us. they are soo much ncer. for example if the dog pulls they say walk in the opposite direction and call them, make being around you exiting.

i think i am going to send an email and talk to our usual trainers next week and see what they say. i was not happy at the end and had to explain to my mum why it was bad and why im not letting anyone ever do that to him, including me!!!

going to do lots of positive things with him this week, build up the trust more. not scare or force him into doing things.

thanks
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 08:04 PM
That sounds really horrible, like something out of Barbara Woodhouse's era. Speak to the organiser of the class about this and get an assurance that this person will not be running the class again. If they won't give it then I would find another class.
steve78
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-08-2010, 08:08 PM
i was so lucky with lola when i got her she walked perfectly on the lead (got her @12weeks) she had already had a little experiance and as for obedient she does have her moments but all in all a brilliant dog for learning fast.i hope the woman never teaches dogs again
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-08-2010, 08:11 PM
he is very good when he is listening. he just gets over exited and so i have to remove him from the situation and then bring him back until he learns. it has worked and he now doesnt jump up on passers by, jump on next doors dog ect.. (all without yanking and yelling!!!)

i was apologising to him all the way home lol felt really bad. she has said she is away next week and so im confident about taking next week. will be walking out if this happens again though.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2010, 12:34 AM
I think I might have hit her if she did that to Lana. How dare she make your puppy and all the others scared.

Definitely have a word with the usual trainers, maybe they don't know what this one is like and wouldn't have left her in charge if they had known.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2010, 05:44 AM
I would be moving very swiftly in the OPPOSITE direction to this awful woman.

Can you find another class? If not, why not train your pup yourself?

x0x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >