Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
millies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2005, 11:09 PM

panting after given birth

millie gave birth at 4.30 this afternoon to one heathly girl , no more pups were born (no more there either , had xray to confirm ) all s well except this last hour millie has panted quite hard ,none stop ....(she only did mild gentle panting when in labour) she was given 2 shots or oxitosin at the vets ... is it normal to pant afterwards ..... cos millie had a singleton im busy trying to keep the pup warm ..is millie getting to hot ? if anyone is stillawake who can help that would be great

julie
Diane
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-05-2005, 12:37 AM
If this is her first litter Julie she could just be a little bit stressed being a new mum. Did the placenta come away?
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 02:03 AM
She may still be contracting from the oxitocin, but I am really not sure. Congratulations anyway!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 06:26 AM
I hope everything is okay now?
millies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-05-2005, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by Diane
If this is her first litter Julie she could just be a little bit stressed being a new mum. Did the placenta come away?

yes the placenta came away.... the vet threw it in the bin cos we were expecting another pup (which was never there, scans can be wrong ! ) which the vet said millie could eat the next one ....panting quiten down about 3am ... sky feed really well all night , millie very unsure and keeps trying to pick her up to move her ..... also millie is cleaning her , just not the bits that matter!! cos sky is the only pup , i think she feels frightned too and keep trying to hide under millie so it one long circle of watching where sky gos , then watching millie dont sit on her , or picks her up ...... well better get back to it ....

julie
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 08:20 AM
Hope everything's ok now

Congratulations on the pup, glad it went well in the end
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 08:20 AM
Sounds like she's doing fine! The panting is normal, just a reaction to all the pain she's been through. Plus she probably gets a bit warm when feeding, if she's anything like my girls, they insist on sitting on the heat pads, making them extra hot!

You're lucky that Millie took to her so well, poor Jasmine, once she had finished she sat in the furthest corner in the kitchen away from the whelping box......she was terrified of the pups.........lol. I had to sit with her all night, trying to convince her how lovely her babies were.

Just keep a weight chart for the pup, weigh her a couple of times a day for the first week, as long as she's gaining weight then it sounds like things are going well, and don't panic if she's lost a tiny bit over night, this is 'sometimes' normal first day.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 08:31 AM
panting is normal .....when her milk is coming in as her temp is higher
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 09:22 AM
.WELL DONE MILLIE X-JD panted alot for the first day or two-she wasn't used to the warmer temperature in the whelping box,we just encouraged her to keep nipping out in the fresh air for a wee and to drink lots.
Josefine
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Congrats Millies Mum!!!Cant wait to see pictures
Josefine panted quite a lot the morning after she had the pups,found out the room was way to warm.She was really uncomfortable with that,and calmed down after I turned the heat down.But it is difficult because the pups need the heat.....
Good luck with baby Sky!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >