Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
If its a springer/Lab cross it shoud NOT be killing anything with that breeding, its very bad of a gundog, id be horrified if he were mine.
If it`s stray crossbreed the breeding is only guesswork. And any dog can and will kill IMHO. I have rescue gundogs who had no early training and they didn`t have a clue apart from an instinct to hunt when I got them.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
If its a springer/Lab cross it shoud NOT be killing anything with that breeding, its very bad of a gundog, id be horrified if he were mine.
This is a picture of Freddie who we believe is an ESS x Lab:

I have had 3 Springers before Freddie and they were all very busy little dogs and very occasionally they would catch something small and unfortunately kill it. Perhaps only once or twice in a lifetime. So whilst I understand you may be horrified, it is a basic instinct which does have to be overcome with training. I have seen a number of Springers in rescue looking for homes because they have killed sheep.

Freddie's recall is about 80% reliable due to his love of Primula cheese and ham spread. The other 20% is a concern, particularly after yesterday which is why I am considering a muzzle. My 9 month old GSP who I have had from a pup has the most reliable recall I have ever seen. Unfortunately I have been unable to achieve that with Freddie because his hunt drive has been allowed to develop with out any moulding or training. He has a limited interest in treats once out and about and absolutely no interest in toys.

Since we have had him he has had 2 hours exercise per day without incident, so it would not be fair to say he is "allowed to kill wildlife". As has already been suggested, it is likely he got "lucky" yesterday. It is a good indicator of potential problems with livestock, particularly sheep and lambs which I have taken right on board, even though he has previously shown no interest through a fence.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 01:22 PM
I think this is an unfortunate incident..... however, I'm a realist and realise that some dogs will kill given the opportunity - one of my dear departed Shibas caught and killed a grey squirrel whilst I watched in horror.... there was nothing I could do.

I am sure you will do whatever you have to, to prevent this happening again.

I sincerely hope that this unfortunate occurrence does not affect the pleasure your dog will give you in the future.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
But it`s NOT a cute cuddly family pet - it`s an animal! And a predator at that. Dogs weren`t designed to open tins or have an account at Sainsburies, they were made to kill or scavenge their food. The fact that we train or breed in limiting behaviours doesn`t alter their basic nature.
You have a dog that is bred for hunting. If you don`t want him to obey his every instinct to have to train him. Displacement activities are good - using the prey drive to focus the dog on a ball or teaching him to use his wonderful scenting skill in tracking.
Why not join a training club and let your dog develop other skills and activities?
I fully intend to concentrate on Freddie's training. I have spent a lot of time already but, how can I put this ...............he's not the fizziest drink in the fridge. We have now established a reasonable sit/stay after 5 months of perseverance. I have tried really hard to get him interested in a ball but failed, miserably. Perhaps I'll get a gundog dummy and give that a try.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I think this is an unfortunate incident..... however, I'm a realist and realise that some dogs will kill given the opportunity - one of my dear departed Shibas caught and killed a grey squirrel whilst I watched in horror.... there was nothing I could do.

I am sure you will do whatever you have to, to prevent this happening again.

I sincerely hope that this unfortunate occurrence does not affect the pleasure your dog will give you in the future.

Thank you Vicki.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Matt and Vikki View Post
Are you certain he killed it?

The reason I ask is is my two came out of the tall grass last year carrying a deer between them, now they were in sight the whole time and their was no rucuss or anything, when I examined the deer, it looked like it had died overnight while trying to give birth. It was very fresh but no longer warm. Deer are normally too fast and alert for most pet dogs.

Certainly on lead near livestock is a must, and I would get down to a good gundog training class to teach whistle stops and recall. It could be a lifesaver if you dog takes off after something towards a road etc.
I would like to think it was already dead, but he was covered in blood which makes it seem likely he was responsible.

We are fortunate in that we can avoid most livestock, wherever we can't he will be on the lead.
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Hi Maxine, your boy is lovely, I notice you say he came from Ireland as a stray, unfortunately, since having moved to Ireland, I have noticed with sadness, the amount of stray and dumped dogs, they are surrendered to the pounds in their hundreds weekly, even pets are left to wander the streets as a lot of folk here dont think dogs should be in the house, and scraps are a commonplace meal here too, bread and gravy in most cases (I live in the west, very rural). Kinda makes you wonder if Freddie had to fend for himself at some stage.
Sometimes, knowing your dog has killed, can alter your perception of them, try not to let it, hopefully the deer was already dead, good luck with the training
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
This is why every dog I have ever owned has to have fantastic recall and is taught never to chase any other animal. I will not allow them to get close enough to rabbits etc. without recalling them. They are never allowed far enough away from me that I don't have control. Of course all dogs love to chase and hunt but it has to be in an acceptable form, such as ball chasing, fake furry critter chasing etc.
Until yesterday his activities were simply zig zagging back and forth at very high speed with his nose on the ground following scents. I had no illusions, that he was hunting but because he doesn't ever bother other people or other dogs or horses or cyclist or joggers have not been too concerned. I didn't think he would ever catch, let alone harm a deer. We don't even see that many rabbits. This was a horrible incident which means we will do more work on his recall and keep him under much closer control.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by sutty View Post
Hi Maxine, your boy is lovely, I notice you say he came from Ireland as a stray, unfortunately, since having moved to Ireland, I have noticed with sadness, the amount of stray and dumped dogs, they are surrendered to the pounds in their hundreds weekly, even pets are left to wander the streets as a lot of folk here dont think dogs should be in the house, and scraps are a commonplace meal here too, bread and gravy in most cases (I live in the west, very rural). Kinda makes you wonder if Freddie had to fend for himself at some stage.
Sometimes, knowing your dog has killed, can alter your perception of them, try not to let it, hopefully the deer was already dead, good luck with the training
Hi Sutty, thank you for that.

Freddie has had a very traumatic time. He has obviously been severely beaten and has scars and fear of traffic consistent with being run over. Whilst I need to prevent a re-occurence of this, I don't want to over react. I still love him dearly and don't blame him for what happened.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 02:24 PM
Freddie is lovely - his face looks very GSP to me?

I would probably not muzzle him just yet, but work on his recall training (as you are going to do) and I would also ensure he isn't out of sight on walks.

The deer may well already have been dead, may have been ill but whatever the circumstances, it is obviously not something you want happening again. Equally, I would be very wary of Freddie around any livestock and keep him on a lead.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >