View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-10-2012, 09:20 PM
I have moved towns since my original post, in this town the only aggressive small ones are 1 yorkie and 1 chihuahua - the other aggressive dogs are all medium to large xbreeds, I have met some delightful small dogs here in particular the Cavs and a sweet tiny fluffy dog not sure of breed I thought it was a puppy Shi Tzu but apparently its a year old
MaggieH
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-10-2012, 04:57 AM
I know there are many aggressive small dogs but most of the ones I personally know are very sweet. My miniature dachshund will bark an alert but he lives for attention, it only takes a little while. My youngest daughter's Pomeranian Chihuahua is an obnoxious little barker but nice to all animals and people. My middle daughter's Yorkie is good natured. My oldest daughter's Maltese/Yorkie and Miniature Dachshund have wonderful personalities as well. Of course of of these dogs have been extensively socialized.
Harry21
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-10-2012, 02:05 PM
I used to get the odd person where lived before rudely ask me wheere im going or if ill move elsewhere so they can bring there terrier through. This may be be on a pavement in a public place whilst the owner makes no effort at all to stop their dogs barking! There seems to be a lot of people who have completely given up trying to stop their dogs constant yapping. My dog's no angel but i atleast try and stop my dog barking at others.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by Harry21 View Post
I used to get the odd person where lived before rudely ask me wheere im going or if ill move elsewhere so they can bring there terrier through. This may be be on a pavement in a public place whilst the owner makes no effort at all to stop their dogs barking! There seems to be a lot of people who have completely given up trying to stop their dogs constant yapping. My dog's no angel but i atleast try and stop my dog barking at others.
Easier said than done when they are scared, how do you break habits formed before you got the dog and made worse by neutering.

Yes I have given up we just learned to live with him now. As I said previously we keep people and animals safe if they respect our space. I think it's probably easier for the person to move for me to pass rather than me to have to sit on Duncan TBH.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I call them death wish dogs ..
We call them Ben fodder!!

Seriously, big, medium, small, an aggressive dog is just that ... aggressive ... and because it is small enough to fit in your handbag, does NOT make it a) cute b) safe or c)incapable of being trained because of its size.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 01:27 PM
I could make it more likely to be fear aggresive though as everything must look huge to some of the smaller dogs. We were told by the trainers we went to fear aggresion is the hardest type to stop.
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2012, 08:14 PM
It is interesting reading through here that many people who have well behaved small dogs also have at least one bigger dog and tend to treat them the same.

I think TV and Celebrities with their 'handbag dogs' have alot to answer for. so now getting people who may not have wanted a dog before wanting something like a chihuahua cos they can carry it about with them!

The smallest breed we have had was a Corgi cross many years ago before designer crossbreeds and handbag dogs existed. I'm glad I experience of a small dog that personality wise was not not much different to the bigger dogs that have been in my life.

I'm downsizing for my next breed but I will expect him/her to behave just as I expect my larger collie to! As a wheelchair user my dogs' obedience is essential regardless of their size!
Harry21
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Easier said than done when they are scared, how do you break habits formed before you got the dog and made worse by neutering.

Yes I have given up we just learned to live with him now. As I said previously we keep people and animals safe if they respect our space. I think it's probably easier for the person to move for me to pass rather than me to have to sit on Duncan TBH.
Hello, i was referring to the rude dog owners i have encountered on walks. I don't see how someone can rudely request someone to leave an area (field in some cases) just to make it easier for someone who can't be bothered to stop their dog kicking off / barking non stop.

My dog gets excited when we see another dog out and about. That being said I have never rudely requested someone to leave a public place.

I understand it can be very difficult to break habbits.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 03:27 AM
Sorry I misunderstood I thought you meant you stood your ground and refused to let a fear aggressive dog pass - has happened to me on more than one occasion where it would have been easy for person to walk away while I exited a field but they deliberately walked directly toward me.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 08:33 AM
Personally I don't think size has a lot to do with it(as in omg that dogs so much bigger than me,my tupac thinks he is tiny lol!),imo its breed,temp and how they are 'brought up'
Met 3 chi's on the same walk the other day,two the uual kerfuffle with the owners doing nowt and glaring at me like I was in the wrong trying to share the space...the 3rd not only the teeniest one I have ever seen but one hooge difference, sociable lovely and could hold her own....the difference being the owner had normally had much much larger dogs
Page 8 of 10 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 >