Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-10-2011, 07:58 PM

Taming feral kittens, anyone?

We've had a lot of cats over the years, and quite a few have been to an extent semi feral as kittens, not entirely, but still quite fiesty. I was curious as to if anyone onboard had experience of taming totally feral kittens?
Scenario? Whilst innocently purchasing duck eggs from one of the small farms we buy various things from (and go to be totally soppy and coo over all the livestock despite the fact one should know better!) the subject of cats was raised as said chap we buy from was asking if I had aquired any more "pampered 'ouse pets" to my extensive brood, and I stated how we'd lost the old moggy girl and our longhaired tom was a mere lodger now, he mentioned how all of their own cats were fixed but that a little black cat who had turned up a few weeks ago on the farm and he had found her dead in one of the barns yesterday (large wound, looks like she'd been hit by a car..which is very possible as the trail of specks of blood lead to the main road near the farm) but nearby too her he'd found two kittens (unspecified sex or colour) hidden in some hay, how he'd thought she may of been pregnant but could never get close enough to find out. Needless to say, some severely scratched arms later and he managed to catch the kittens, he estimates them to be about three weeks tops as apparently are very small, both are currently residing in a pen in his study apparently (didn't have time to look as was already getting dark and had to get home), and said how he's promised one too his son for his children, but if I wanted I could have the other.
I said no more cats after one choosing to up sticks and return occasionally, and my dear old lady passing over, but I do have a remaining rather moping ginger tom who could possibly do with a playmate, and the kitten is an "in need" case, and my old tortie girl herself WAS a kitten in similar circumstances (mum was a ragdoll, belonging to a lady who owned stables, escaped in call and got mated by some feral toms, kittens turfed out on the yard to fend for self when old enough, we took in) so it's almost like fate/kismet striking, and i'm not fussed what colour or sex the kitten is as it would just need a good home. So as you can see i'm quite sold on the matter. I'm just really looking for any input on the practicalities of taming a feral kitten, I'm hoping its just a case of slowly slowly catch a kitty, as they are only around 3 weeks..and although never having human contact I do wonder if it would be easy enough to do with time. Any advice or experience?
Haven't comitted yet, am going back at the end of the week anyway as they sell very nice spuds, maybe I'll bring a small spitting ball of fluff home as by seeing the farmer's arms I dread to think what these kits are like!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 08:04 PM
your brave.. but u may just be ok if they are 3 weeks of age

i would pen him/her for now,defo no free run as it will get somewhere u wont be able to get it out from.

it will be slowly slowly gaining of trust and dont underestimate the temper or claws of a feral kitty...they iz scary

on the upside....should be a good ratter

eta..re 'catching' i would get a 'cat or fox trap' local vets may have one if not the local cpl branch should do.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
your brave.. but u may just be ok if they are 3 weeks of age

i would pen him/her for now,defo no free run as it will get somewhere u wont be able to get it out from.

it will be slowly slowly gaining of trust and dont underestimate the temper or claws of a feral kitty...they iz scary

on the upside....should be a good ratter

eta..re 'catching' i would get a 'cat or fox trap' local vets may have one if not the local cpl branch should do.
I agree with Layla.

I wish I could ask my Aunt for extra tips. (don't know when but..) 3-5 years ago a cat came onto her garden in search of food, so she fed her, as she looked incredibly skinny.. that skinny cat ended up with 6 kittens in her shed (which she had put a cat flap in for her to shelter in) and can you imagine the RSPCA having to catch those at 8 weeks of age and the mother as well. She got the cat home after the RSPCA had spayed her, (kittens were rehomed) and over the 3 - 5 years, Sugar (feral cat) started to come inside the house, sit on the furniture and even allowed fusses off my Aunt and my Nan. My aunt also took in Cheeky Charlie - not sure if he was a feral or someone who had thrown him out/passed away but he is as friendly as. When my aunt died she left strict instructions and 10K to the cats care and welfare and visiting my nan the other week, it's clear the cats miss my Aunt..

Anyway - sorry for waffling, but food is really the best way IMO to trust.. 3 weeks shouldn't be too difficult, they haven't had too long in the wild.. Just take it steady.. and good luck - keep us posted..
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Hmnn I feel if I decide to take on of these hissbags on I may need lots of treats and some very thick gloves, will have a few days to ponder!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Late Lamented Kat was a rescued feral kitten, probably between 3-4 weeks old. I had gone to friends for Sabbath lunch and one of the grandchildren turned up in the afternoon just as I was leaving, with a tiny bundle of white, grey and black fluff that had been just sitting in the middle of the road.

Amid screams of "get it out of here" I said I would take it home, so put it [turned out to be a female] in my pocket and went home. Gave her half a sardine mashed in some milk and she was never any problem, but I was probably lucky with her because she was so very young.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 08:27 PM
oopsie double post
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Hmnn I feel if I decide to take on of these hissbags on I may need lots of treats and some very thick gloves, will have a few days to ponder!
you will!! honestly truly feral kittens are just that..feral!(ive had a fair few dealings with ferals).....they can also go from 'im hungry i really am your best friend' to a tazi devil in seconds(after they are not hungry anymore)...and dont get your eyes anywhere near them!

you really wont know how they turn out til later,some will grow into fairly well adjusted cats....others stay wild...like my grandads cat speedy he chose to live outside in his wooden box(and he was got from a kitten) and it was always the mantra 'dont go near speedy' as i was growing up.
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2011, 09:07 PM
One of our cats we found as a 4/5 weeks old he was skin and bones found in the middle of nowhere (no near by houses). We kept him shut in until he was old enough. He was a little terror lept out at you from hiding places and sank his claws and teeth in your legs and attacked the dogs but over time he has become much better and you can fuss him with out him trying to bite etc, just got him used to being stroked and handled, although he still has his wild streak and is a bit of a local thug goes in a neighbours house hisses, growls and leaps at her scratching her legs and arms
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Late Lamented Kat was a rescued feral kitten, probably between 3-4 weeks old. I had gone to friends for Sabbath lunch and one of the grandchildren turned up in the afternoon just as I was leaving, with a tiny bundle of white, grey and black fluff that had been just sitting in the middle of the road.

Amid screams of "get it out of here" I said I would take it home, so put it [turned out to be a female] in my pocket and went home. Gave her half a sardine mashed in some milk and she was never any problem, but I was probably lucky with her because she was so very young.
also i think that was a stray kitten rather than a feral...a feral kitten wouldnt be swayed by one meal and put it a pocket that easily.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-10-2011, 09:19 PM
There are no pet cats here - the only cats are feral ones. Kat was all skin and bone under the fluff and was probably starving.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >