Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SibeLuver03
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-12-2004, 02:07 AM

My Kieron sure stinks, any advice?

Well, as some of you know, I have two Siberian huskies. One of them, a 2.5 year old spayed bitch, Kieron, has really started to stink in the last two or three weeks. Siberian huskies are generally an odor-free breed, meaning they don't usually have the classic doggy smell. But Kieron does, but Houdini doesn't.

Kieron has never ever smelt like this before, she has always been a fair smelling girl. Like I said, Houdini doesn't stink at all. The smell smells like mud, in a way. My first concern was her anal glands, but she doesn't smell fishy or pooey. She just smells like dirt and mud. So I gave her a bath. She really stunk up the bathroom, which is normal, but she didn't smell any better after the bath. In fact, I think she smelled even worse.

So I thought a bit and wonder if maybe her stink is related to her blowing her coat? Currently she is heavily blowing and shedding her coat. A husky will blow its coat twice a year, so this is Kieron's fifth shed. She has never stunk like this before.

I just don't know what to do about the smell. She has been bathed, brushed, and her anal glands have been checked.

So what do you all think? Do you think it could just be her shedding coat retaining odors and I should just keep on trugging and brushing her every day and just hope that the smell goes away once she finished blowing her coat?

Thought I might add something I just now thought of. Could the stink have anything to do with the straw in her doghouse? It is fresh, but my mom suggested maybe it has something to do with it. Houdini's doghouse has the same fresh straw, but he doesn't smell like Kieron does.

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer! I appreciate it!

-Tara
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-12-2004, 04:35 AM
Has her diet changed at all, or might she have been scavenging?

Have you had a really good look at her skin? Some skin conditions cause odour.

I assume you have thoroughly checked ears, mouth, throat.

Try changing the straw. It would seem an unlikely cause as the other dog is not affected, but by doing so you will have eliminated or confirmed the possibilty that she is reacting to something in the bedding.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I am sure someone with a coated breed will be along soon.

P.S. A yeasty odour is associated with thyroid problems, Might be prudent to get that checked with your vet.
http://ctct.essortment.com/hypothryoidismi_rmef.htm