Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Whitaker1579 View Post
I havent but he has, he just uses a normal whistle, but as I am planning on getting a BC for my self this year, which I am interested in doing some sheepdog trialing with I though that this would be the ideal time to learn to use a shepherds whistle.

The BC in question was sent away when he was roughly 6 or so months old to a sheepdog trainer for 8 months of intensive training, but when he came back he was well trained but also a bag of nerves, to the point were he just wants to hide in his bed So Im just trying to make him confident and happy at the minute.
Poor lad. It sounds as though he went to an old-fashioned trainer I hope you manage to build his confidence up - although I have seen in the past that nervous dogs are fine when actually working the sheep, and then nervous again when they come off.

Good luck with your quest.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 04:46 PM
This is a brilliantly funny yet factual advice on how to use a "Half Moon whistle"
Whitaker1579
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
This is a brilliantly funny yet factual advice on how to use a "Half Moon whistle"

That was brillient !

Avery body who has atempted to use the shepherds whistle should defo read this!
Whitaker1579
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-01-2009, 07:32 AM
I've done it! I've made my whistle whistle!
I feel so proud of myself!!!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2009, 11:37 AM
My ex bought me a shepherds whistle which he can actually use. He was astonished when I put it in my mouth for the first time, blew and a sound came out!

It is very tricky but I keep having a go and i'm getting there.
oldshep52
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-04-2009, 09:22 AM
It took me a long time but now all is fine. i eventually approached the shepherd doing a demo at a show and asked him for advice. He showed me, i went home picked up the whistle and off we went! Try this, put the whistle in your mouth so that the hole is covered. Put the tip of your tongue on the lower hole and gently move it away whilst "nreathing" across the whistle (if you see what I mean). keep the whistle loose in your mouth and try and move it around with your tongue. The metal whistles are, i find, much easier and can also be cleaned more easily (something I quite like to do as the whistle gets into all sorts of dubious places when I am leaning down). Good luck!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2