Female 

17-07-2013, 06:47 AM
How are you feeling today, boys?
(Hope you got enough sleepy, Jenny!)
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2013, 07:18 AM
Thanks again ladies for your messages. The boys had a restful night and didn't ask to go out at all which is a real result. Rucksack moved a round a lot from settee, to rug, to bed etc .... so normal behaviour, but Flash is still my concern as he fell asleep on the tiles under the table and remained there all night .... even when I was giving him water with the syringe. He's still like ragdoll-like and I haven't seen his tail up in 2 days now. Maybe his insides are still sore They've both been outside for a wee and Rucksack has had his first proper small meal after his tablets and Rucksack is now drinking out of a bowl. Flash had to have his tablets placed behind his tongue and has probably had about 3 weeny scraps of cod ... under sufferance. I'll see how he goes for the next few hours and decide whether to speak to the vet again.

Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Do you know how they got this? I heard you mention ingested something. You mean like poo or something... or was it more like rotten food?

Just asking because I've never heard of this. Everytime I see a lot of blood in dogs poo, I always think parvo... which, of course means a vet trip - FAST!

Anyway, again sending vibes and hoping poor Flash is feeling more springy soon
Yes they've had Haemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE) which if not caught and treated early can kill within 24 hours. Apparently there are many causes but I am sure that in this case it started from Flash eating something disgusting while we were out for a walk last Saturday. What started off as a run of the mill upset tummy with Flash, it suddenly escalated into something far worse and he haemorrhaged from his back end (not diarrhoea streaked with blood - far worse) and started vomiting blood. Rucksack then got it (but not as badly as Flash) about 4 hours later.
I'm hoping that Flash is just taking longer to 'bounce-back' as his treatment wasn't as instant as Rucksacks (as for Rucksack I already had the meds with me).

Thanks again ladies.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-07-2013, 07:30 AM
Very glad to hear that Rucksack is recovering from the nasties - everything still crossed for poor little Flash - sending more "get well quick" {{{vibes}}} to him.

(((hugs))) xxx
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Hi It will take a while,some dogs like humans behave differently when they are ill. But its a really good sign that they may have turned the corner, and soon they will be up to high jinks again.But do not neglect yourself, when the lake algae happened I slept with both dogs not really sleeping a sort of cat nap and drank copious cups of coffee,by the time they had recovered I felt like death warmed up and they were totally unaware of how ill they had been Gemini54
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2013, 07:59 AM
Glad to hear Rucksack seems to be a lot better, but sorry to hear Flash is still so lethargic. Let's hope today brings some improvement for the poor little man.xxxxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-07-2013, 08:06 AM
Good news about Rucksack sorry to hear Flash is still suffering more gentle cuddles.

Do you think Flash ate fox pooh or food a fox had been near a friend of ours his cocker spaniel ate food left out by the neighbours for the foxes and was really ill. The vet told him foxes urinate over the food they can't manage and go back for it its meant to be a deterrent to other animals.
It wasn't for Poppy and Ollie always had to be leashed before we reached a certain point on the park or he would leg off after it too.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2013, 08:40 AM
I'm so glad that Rucksack is doing a lot better - I hope that Flash recovers soon. Please give them both a gentle hug from me and have one yourself - you must be feeling terrible.
xxx
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2013, 08:50 AM
So sorry jenny that this is taking such a time. Really pleased that rucksack seems to be recovered but poor little flash do hope he starts to show some solid signs of improvement soon. cuddles from me all round and a big lick for both from Amber. God bless.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
I have just got back from the vet where Flash has been diagnosed with Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE) having haemorrhaged while straining in the garden. An hour before he had also been very sick. The vet was fantastic and immediately gave him 15mg codeine as his insides were in spasm as I arrived there. He was given an injection of antibiotics and then a thorough check over. When putting the tip of his finger up his anus more blood came out. He is not dehydrated and therefore he didn't think it would be in his interest to keep him in which would just put more stress on his heart murmur and I assured him that I won't leave him alone and will keep him hydrated. He doesn't want him drinking cold water or eating ice and would rather I syringed small amounts of tepid water into his mouth every hour.
However, he told me that he will pass more blood and could sick blood up (he did on the way home) but was more concerned about his lethargy and depression. Bless him he just lay on his side and let the vet do anything (very unlike Flash). He is expecting him to feel a lot better by the morning but if he passes a lot of blood or sicks up blood again to take him straight in at 8 or during the night if it is acute. No food at all until we see how he is in the morning.

He had an upset tummy on Saturday evening which I treated with Canikur and Antepsin. He is a dreadful scavenger so a day of an upset tummy is not unusual. TSunday morning he stopped drinking so I kept him hydrated with syringing water into his mouth. He had quite a lot more diarrhoea during the day but better than yesterday. He seemed to perk up quite a bit mid afternoon but then went down hill frighteningly quickly. He is now lying on the cold tiles in the kitchen and hasn't moved since we got back from the vets - he is so still that I keep checking he's still breathing ...... he's not a happy little dog

***Rucksack has now gone down with it having just passed a load of blood on the kitchen floor. Phoned the vet and he's to share Flash's antibiotics. Think I'm in for a worrying night!!
Jenny I read today that he is much better and I hope Rucksack doesn't go down with this horrible thing, at least you have a good vet where you are.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Jenny I read today that he is much better and I hope Rucksack doesn't go down with this horrible thing, at least you have a good vet where you are.
Hi Harvey, thanks Harvey it was lovely to see you name appear Rucksack has had it but is on the mend

I took Rucksack out for a 5 minute stroll along the road this morning and Flash cried when we left ... some animation from him was a welcome sign. I put Flash on a lead and walked him down a couple of houses and his tail was up and he was a different dog. He has also this morning had a drink from a bowl which I am delighted at and had a small amount of soaked kibble .... as mine eat Orijen the vet thought it better not to give Flash chicken and rice, so he's been having cooked cod and soaked kibble.

They are both definitely on the mend - the only thing is our kitchen stinks as now they are accepting a little food and their insides are having to work again the gas smell is appalling
Page 8 of 11 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >