Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2009, 03:43 PM

Carraige dog /road dog?

Does anyone know exactly what a road dog is?

Having had a look at the British Carriage Dog society website it seems that Dalmatians (does it always need to be Dalmatians?) accompany ridden horses on endurance rides?

I drive one of my horses, but to be honest I am not really a driver, I just do it as she likes it, I do however do endurance rides and sometimes take my dogs with me, which they love, so this could be something I could really get into.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2009, 05:16 PM
A link for anyone who doesn't know what it is

http://www.carriagedog.org/index.php?title=Home
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2009, 06:36 PM
My first BC Tara was a briliant Horse dog, she could have defintally competed!

Edited: Ohhh i see its Dally only
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Yea that's my only issue with it.

My lad Sam would be a great road dog, he was following me tonight whilst I was riding
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Have you gone off the idea of having a heavy-coated dog then?
There are no guarantees:you may well get a breed that `should` be able to perform in a certain way, but it may turn out to have a certain temperament or character that makes it un-typical. Or things can occur that make it impossible for your dog to perform in a particular sport.
Getting a pup with a view to doing endurance rides seems a little unrealistic. Getting a pup because you like the breed and then seeing what his capabilities and aptitudes are, and exploring his talents together would be more rewarding, IMO.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2009, 07:49 AM
No I haven't gone off the idea of a heavy coated dog, that is the sort of dog I prefer, I have not really looked into Dalmatians because of the fact they are short coated, but because of finding this I will look into them.

I am doing research into this sport, it's fairly new and at the moment hasn't got a lot on people competing (possibly due to the fact you need to have a Dalmatian and a horse) if opened up to more breeds then it may well be more popular (collies for example I am sure would excel at it.)
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2009, 12:13 PM
i got Tara my first BC to be a "horse" dog, to come to the yard with me & accompany me on rides etc....two years later got rid of the horse & TOTALLY obsessed with dog Obedience!!!!
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Oh I could never give up my horses, I really think the horses and dogs compliment each other.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-09-2009, 09:29 AM
My dobe loves coming out hacking with us. Luckily my friends land opens onto farmers fields leading to a bridleway so no road work which i wouldnt do with him whilst i was in the saddle plus less stress on his joints.

He likes to be in front (and pretend the horses are chasing him, hes a bit nuts!)

we got him as we loved Dobes and had had them before and at the time was going to show him, he wasnt a big fan of it so we now do agility and cani x
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
Oh I could never give up my horses, I really think the horses and dogs compliment each other.

Lol I always said that!!!!!