Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2005, 06:52 PM

Under Active Thyroid. (hypothyroidism)

Has anybody on dogweb got a dog with under active thyroid, it seems my Daisy my have this condition and is going to have some tests done.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2005, 07:08 PM
sorry to hear ...what signs did she have ?
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2005, 07:12 PM
She has gone off her food. She is quite fat even though eating less, she is very tired all the time ( I thought this was just old age) she never wants to go walking. She also looks depressed. The vet said all the signs seem to be there.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2005, 07:13 PM
best get the tests done and see.....i have known in the past of this condition but not sure what the long term medication involves .......
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-11-2005, 07:18 PM
Yes-my old Rottweiler had an underactive thyroid gland.

He was prescibed 'Soloxine' tablets and after 2 weeks-his weight started to drop and he started to run after balls again.Before the tablets-he was about 6-7 kgs overweight and very lethargic.

What your vet will likely do is prescibe Soloxine and after 6 weeks-take more blood samples to see if the dosage is right.It can be a bit hit or miss initially and they need to see how the dog responds to the dosage.If your dog is found to have an underactive thyroid,the tablets cost around £33 for 250 tablets and will need to be on them for rest of life.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2005, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the info.
Tirnanog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Yes - April had an underactive tgyroid for the last five years of her life - I also have the same condition PM me if I can help
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2005, 07:42 PM
Please ask for a FULL THYROID PANEL and not just the T4 test as this is not always conclusive. If positive you will see a marked improvement in her in a short space of time, its a fairly common problem in dogs dont worry.
Dawn,
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Unfortunately I am on going away on holiday tommorrow, these things always crop up at the wrong time, I asked the vet would she be alright for another week and she said yes she will be fine until I get back, but I am not happy about it, I wont be happy until she has had the tests and has been sorted out. I will tell my daughter who is looking after her, if there are any problems to get her to the vet.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2005, 08:33 PM
Potter has an under active thyroid. She is on Soloxine and has been for 3 years and is fine! No problems whatsoever!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >