Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Carla0305 View Post
What do you think is the ideal number of dogs?

Does 1 mean you have a closer bond?

2 make good company for each other?

3 a crowd or a pack?
There really isn't a universal one size fits all answer to this though It is down to the individual owners personal opinion.

IMO I don't like the thought of only one dog on it's own and I don't think it gives you a closer bond at all. I like a minimum of 2 dogs. If they were big dogs then I would limit it to just the 2 but if they were small dogs then I would like at least 3 possibly 4 and upwards.

As long as you have the time to ensure that all the dogs have enough love and attention and enough money to provide for them then your own opinion dictates the ideal.

In short I do not believe there is an ideal number of dogs
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Personally I don't want more than 2 dogs, but thats only because I like bigger breeds (GSD size) which take up more room. As I can't have a bigger car yet, this is also a limiting factor as to how many dogs I can realistically have. OH and I also like to go away on short breaks, and many places don't allow more than 2 dogs.

But atleast if I had 2 dogs they would have eachother for company.

If I had JRT's for instant, then maybe I could up my number to maximum of 4.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 11:44 AM
For me 2 hounds are ideal , they are big dogs so pratically they can fit in the car and the house comfortably. I could fit in a couple more really but OH is not keen and tbh would prefer to wait anyway , my two take a lot of time to care for properly and with work too its just right for our circumstances at the moment , will have a houseful of hounds when I win the lottery and give up work !
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 11:49 AM
OH said to me the more dogs you have the more poo you have to pick up.... Yes 2 dogs is more than enough!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 12:22 PM
One less than what I have sometimes!

One dog is certainly a lot easier and cheaper than two!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Carla0305 View Post
No one ever had difficulty having 3? 2 vs 1 or anything like that?
No, never. Dogs are social animals and like a crowd, as a rule.

Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-02-2011, 12:55 PM
I don't think there is a universal ideal number of dogs, it depends on so many other factors in your life and over the years I've had a variety of combinations from singletons to the current 5 of my own and 2 fosters. I've never found it affects the bond I have with them regardless of numbers but I have all the time in the world to spend with them. I don't find the current crew any more difficult than a single dog but they've all had time invested in them so they walk well on lead, have fab recall and are pretty chilled at home. I have a vehicle big enough to transport them all and the finances to support them. That said, I don't take them with me everywhere I go, 7 dogs in tow when visiting friends and relatives would be a no go but then again when I had just the one he stayed home alone at such times too although he did come to work with me. We do take them all on holiday once a year upto Scotland though and they all go in kennels when we go abroad and that bill is eye watering.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 01:00 PM
We have always had up to and including 4...mainly 3 for years. Currently we have 2 and I do admit I feel like something is missing so we are hopefully going to foster.
It's personal choice...and what you can afford....
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 01:01 PM
For me I think it would be no more than two. I currently have one dog and would like a second someday (hopefully in the next year or two). I worry sometimes though about my current girl adapting to living with a second dog, though she's been fine when my parent's dog stays with us.
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Three here:

Though it can be a bit of a tight fit at times

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >