Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2011, 08:14 PM

My knee brace and story

Didn't know whether to put this here or in computer and techno bit

Just to catch up.....five years ago I was walking the dogs and had a really nasty fall over some farm machinery it was dark and didn't see it. I hurt my right knee. Went to local hospital, they said just a strained something....
After lots of problems with my knee i was eventually referred for more x-rays, scans ect...it was found I had just one ligament holding my knee together
I ended having some break-through surgery and having my knee reconstructed with hamstring from my left knee

The surgery wasn't a complete success, and I have had to adapt to not doing a lot of things I used to be able to do.... it's then you realize how much your knee means to you....

I have now got a brace which has been custom made for me in California, USA, at a cost of just under £1000 I did ask if I could go for a fitting but the NHS didn't think it was necessary.... My brace has made a huge difference to my life and I can do some of the things I used to be able too, but horse riding, motorbike riding are still not possible.

Just a couple pics of my Robocop "dead or alive, you are coming with me".... brace

I have to wear it all the time, it is most likely I will have to have more surgery in a couple years, or I will have to wear this brace for maybe the rest of my life, without it my knee will just collapse

BUT!!! I am now able to show my dogs!!!!

xxxx

ps my apologies for the lilly white legs