Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-04-2010, 11:19 AM

2nd TV debate on Sky (and BBC) News 8PM Tonight

This is the discussion thread for the 2nd TV debate - that will be on tonight at 8PM on Sky news

(Thread will be opened once the debate has finished)

Edit: Here's the results after the debate:

Poll Results after the debate:

Guardian/ICM:
Clegg win on 33%, with Cameron and Brown tied on 29%.

Angus Reid:
Clegg win with 33%, Cameron on 32% and Brown on 23%.

YouGov/Sun:
Cameron win with 36%, 32% for Clegg and 29% for Brown.

ComRes/ITV:
Clegg win with 33%, Brown and Cameron tied on 30%

MailOnline:
Clegg win with 46%, Cameron on 41%, Brown on 14%

Sky poll of polls:
Cameron and Clegg tied on 33%, Brown on 27%
You can watch a summary of the debate here
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Another good debate, although I don't know why they covered some of the same questions as last week!

What I found really funny is how David Cameron and Gordon Brown tried to be a bit more like Nick from last week

Nick Cleggs closing speech was the best again, and I feel pretty much the same as last week - that he's the only one who has a plan that makes sense, Cameron just wants to get in and Gordon has his heart in the right place but is lacking direction.

Looking forward to next weeks now!

Edit: Found this on the Guardian's website which pretty much sums up how I feel:

1) This has not been a game-changer, in the way that last week's debate was.

2) Clegg has not crashed. In fact, he's been pretty good. (According to the Guardian tracker, he's winning.) His opening statement was very good, and he concluded with a powerful statement about the way politics can change. If anyone thought the Lib Dem bandwagon was going to be stopped tonight, they were wrong.

3) Cameron wanted a win. I don't think he's had one. Labour will come out saying the fact that he did not dominate meant that he was the loser tonight. I don't think that's fair - he held his own very well - but he did not dominate the debate like a prime minister-in-waiting. At times it seemed as if the real choice was between Clegg and Brown Also, for the second week, he failed to mention his big society them.

4) Brown was better than last week. His answers sounded much more natural. The ITV focus group viewers did not seem to like his forceful tone - the worm turned south when Brown went on the offensive - but I thought these moments work. Perish the thought, but perhaps the worm can be wrong.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Clegg's consistent performance seems to have gone down well:

Early polls published straight after the debate suggested the result was much closer.

A ComRes/ITV News survey suggested Mr Clegg was again judged the strongest performer. 36 per cent of those asked said he had won the debate - David Cameron and Gordon Brown both finished on 30 per cent.

An online survey carried out on the Channel 4 News website during the debate also suggested Mr Clegg was judged the winner.

He was backed by 52 per cent, with Mr Brown on 31 per cent and mr Cameron on 17 per cent.
http://www.channel4.com/news/article...debate/3622777
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 10:50 PM
It was verry interesting.

I got the impression that certain people were hoping that Clegg's views on Europe would lower his popularity a bit. Doesn't seem to have worked, and I'm not surprized, imo he put his views across verry well. He's even managing to convince me, a little, and thats saying something.

I also think that B did a much better job of it than last week. As for David, whilst I wouldn't say he was the loser, I do think he came off as slightly weaker, although he fought his corner.

I found Clegg's idea ref illegal imigrants to be quite interesting, if nothing else, it shows he's got the capacity to think outside the box a little. A good thing to have imo.

Will be interesting to see what happens next week.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-04-2010, 11:12 PM
From what I've been reading on the web, I think many others echo your views Tazer.

What made me laugh is how the mail tried to pass-off a win to Cameron, but they've changed their headline now LOL, and then someone said this in the comments:

Clegg has won in 4 out of 5 polls (all except yougov) and was considered the most honest (43% to Cameron's 29%). Voting intention after poll Lib Dem 36% Con 35%. I'm a lifelong Conservative voter but I'm switching to the Lib Dems this time. Cameron isn't up to the task, I'm afraid.
Again, I think people really are shifting towards Nick Clegg - I'm not surprised, it really does seem like he's the only genuine one out of him and DC.

Poll Results after the debate:

Guardian/ICM:
Clegg win on 33%, with Cameron and Brown tied on 29%.

Angus Reid:
Clegg win with 33%, Cameron on 32% and Brown on 23%.

YouGov/Sun:
Cameron win with 36%, 32% for Clegg and 29% for Brown.

ComRes/ITV:
Clegg win with 33%, Brown and Cameron tied on 30%

MailOnline:
Clegg win with 46%, Cameron on 41%, Brown on 14%

Sky poll of polls:
Cameron and Clegg tied on 33%, Brown on 27%
Azz
Administrator
Male 

23-04-2010, 11:36 AM
If anyone missed it but doesn't want to watch the full 90 minutes, you can watch a 15 minute summary here