Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2008, 11:01 AM

Do I need a shrink?????

It all started when I reversed into Dave's car on the driveway this morning. Now it wasn't completely my fault!!! 1. Because it's normally NOT there behind the spot where I park, it's normally in the car port. 2. I already have to manouvre into the driveway looking at the post on my left, plus the wing of his other car on my right, plus I've got the house wall on my left as I reverse around all of that! I'm sooooo used to it, and I usually just end up where I want, but this morning I was too far away from the house wall and more concerned about taking his wing off with my right front wing, so I thought I'd just go back further to come forward again, and I DID look in my mirror, but because the back window of the beemer is so huuuuge, that's all I could see, so it looked like nothing was there!!??? Well, that's my excuse anyway!!!

This got him having a little "chat" with me about how he thinks I ought to go to the quack and get some "calm you down" pills!!!! No way!!! I said if my driving has got THAT bad, then how come I've never hit anything (apart from a wheelbarrow I reversed into years ago, the new post in the carport last week and now the back end of his beemer )out on the roads then or had an accident in 40 years?????!!! Take it outta that!!! Then he said he's noticed when he's been out with me recently that I don't concentrate enough on what I'm doing, I'm chatting away (as yer do!) and not concentrating enough like I should??? Not that I've had any mishaps or anything, but he's noticed the difference in my driving, and everything else, all through lack of concentration. For instance, I might put something on the stove, get waylaid (maybe on Dogsey!) and forget about the stove!!

Personally, I think the reason for my current state of mind, is the fact that for a whole year now, nothing has been in it's place, with all the upheavel going on around me, and I'm the type of person who likes everything in it's place, and I think that my brain has sort of shut off this department or maybe it's had meltdown, coz I can only cope with things that are routine, and anything out of the norm, makes me make stupid mistakes! I know what's going on in my head and I'm sure it's for the reason I've stated, my brain just can't cope with any more of the "can't find this, it's not where it normally is, so much to do, so many phone calls, so many places to go, etc. etc. " Now that he's actually said it, I can see what he means, and I need to slow down and concentrate more! That's it, it's my concentration that's gone totally haywire! Now I think I need to see a shrink (psychiatrist) he might sort me out, but I certainly don't want any pills from a doctor to slow me down or make me all happy or anything like that, I need to be "me" not put in a zombie state, or a drunk state or suchlike. I'm sure a shrink could put my yin and yan back in my head don't you? Maybe I can do it myself by just trying to think more before taking actions. He said there's nothing wrong with my reactions they're as quick as they always were and that's probably why I haven't written the car off yet! I dunno I'm happy with the way I am, but perhaps it might be a good idea to get someone to help me, coz I have been a bit stressed for 18 months, and It's bound to affect me in some way even though I think it hasn't! Lol! I'm a headcase then!!!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Well you definatley sound stressed and it's not surprising with the year you've had, you probably need a holiday.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Aitch, darling, it's not a shrink you need......

You need your life to get back to normal. It's not been that since your mum became ill, and your life got turned upside down (bless her).

What with that, all the building work you've had done, losing dear Princess Cassie etc. etc. it's no wonder you're mind doesn't concentrate. It's got too much in it! It'll start leaking out of your ears soon!

My recommendation is a bit of meditation. At least once a day, go to a quiet room, no radio or TV on, and sit quietly with your eyes closed for about 10-15 minutes. It helps, it really does.

When driving, consciously "think" about everything you do. Don't chat to your passenger, and try to think ahead all the time.

HTH honey - getting old's a bitch!

x0x
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Aitch, darling, it's not a shrink you need......

You need your life to get back to normal. It's not been that since your mum became ill, and your life got turned upside down (bless her).

What with that, all the building work you've had done, losing dear Princess Cassie etc. etc. it's no wonder you're mind doesn't concentrate. It's got too much in it! It'll start leaking out of your ears soon!

My recommendation is a bit of meditation. At least once a day, go to a quiet room, no radio or TV on, and sit quietly with your eyes closed for about 10-15 minutes. It helps, it really does.

When driving, consciously "think" about everything you do. Don't chat to your passenger, and try to think ahead all the time.

HTH honey - getting old's a bitch!

x0x
Couldn't have said it better myself. Take heed of all the above Aitch and I'm sure you'll be fine xxxxx
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2008, 11:25 AM
certainly sounds like stress to me, too much going on all at once. Hopefully now your mum is getting settled you can start to get a bit of normality back or at least routine. The advice of going into a room with no sounds is excellent, you just need time to relax and switch off.... and go to your " Happy Place"

Zeita sends big snowy licks

Mel x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Awwww thanks guys, especially your great advice Vicki I knew you'd come up trumps! So I'm not going mad then??? Quite honestly, I don't think most people would have been able to cope with the amount of stress I have had over the past 18 months, ever since Mum arrived on our doorstep!! There's been:

She broke her ankle after only one week, so I had to do everything for her when her leg was in plaster for 6 weeks!

We bought just about every warden assisted flat in Worthing prior to the ankle breakage, and she then changed her mind and said she wanted to live with us!

We then searched high and low for another property to accommodate all of us, our specific needs and two dogs!

We had estate agents round most days with prospective buyers for her, so I had to keep the place more than clean and tidy for that, plus still caring for mum and house hunting!

We bought a place, maybe more, then changed our minds!

I had to go over to Mallorca to sign over the deeds coz I sold her apartment via the internet coz she needed the money for us to move into a bigger place. So I did all that

Then we decided there was no place like home, so decided to extend upstairs and out where we lived.

Builders started in March last year since when there's been nothing but upheavel, mess, total chaos both upstairs and down, finding a secure place to put the dogs every day. Bought a caravan for them and Mum. Builders every day for 4 months!

Mum fell over again and damaged her HIP this time and couldn't move, so back in bed again for 6 weeks!!

Lost my beloved angel Cassie

Sorted the whole house out with plasterers, painters, furniture, carpet, stairlift, etc. etc.
Still looking after Mum and trying to get over Cassie

Had the whole front garden dragged out and replaced.

Just as Mum is back to normal, she falls over AGAIN, but this time ends up in Hospital!

Had the back driveway dragged out and replaced and the old garage knocked down.

Meanwhile I'm visiting the hopspital every single afternoon when I'm very tired, tired of cleaning up mess. Making numerous phone calls to try and get Mum into a nice place to recouperate.

Bootroom revamped, new walls, new plastering, new electrics, new lino, new units that took 4 weeks in all!

Searching high and low visiting suitable homes at a reasonable price for Mum. Found one, moved her there, so now visiting THERE every day

When you think a human being has been through all of the above in 18 months NON-STOP I would have thought it's more than any brain can cope with!!

Now where's that padded room where I can go and do what Vicki has suggested and stare at the ceiling for 15 minutes!!! Heaven!!!

I'll get there I suppose, but I really don't think I could take any more of this upheavel in my life!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Hopefully, there'll be no more upheaval, Aitch, otherwise, you'll just have to come up to Croydon and be "Shiba'd".

x0x0x0x0x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Now there's a thought!!!!! When I get 5 mins hey Vicki!!!! Thanks for the offer though.xxxx
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Followed by a visit to Redcar to be Cassie'd!!!
See, when you write it down like that Aitch, it's no wonder you're knackered!
Big wags and licks from your Cyber Cass xxxx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2008, 12:49 PM
THINK IT'S ALL BEEN SAID HUN.............ALSO ONCE YOU GET THE CHANCE A GOOD RESTFUL HOLIDAY MAYBE IN ORDER
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >