Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ziizii
New Member!
Female 

21-06-2007, 09:02 PM

Back from our trip, found a great dog friendly hotel! AND a super caravan park

Hello all, Thankyou firstly to all of you who offered suggestions of places to stay with our two dogs in the Borton upon trent area.

Well we found a really great place and I will highly recommend ths hotel as it was not only a superb place to stay but the staff were extremely nice and the facilties were great, above all our dogs were treated alsmot an attraction and we had so many lovely comments.
The hotel is Boswroth Hall in Market Harborough.
Its a stately home and has be converetd to a hotel with I think 196 bedrooms.
It is elegant and yet is totally relaxing. The grounds are super and just across the road from the hotel are meadows and fields, all beautifully maintained and very good for dog walking.
We had great leisure facilties as well, indoor pool, steam/sauna rooms and even a hair and beauty salon !
We stayed in main part of Boasworth Hall , but I think they have build a new part ( I didnt get to go around the hotel as I was actually spending much of the time with my mum an dad as mum is suffering from a brain tumour and as Im in a disbaled and just recovering from surgery myself ad I hadnt seen them in quite a while)
Anyway, Our room was really big with tall ceilings and felt bright and spacious so the dogs had plenty of space and they were very happy in the room. With original huge sash windows the room was airey and cool but we always take a large fan with us in the warm weather in case it gets too hot for the dogs.( lovely bathroom with all complimenarty shower stuff, tea & coffe making failities, TV, room service and even complimentary fluffy bathrobes)

I actually got to put my "posh frock" and went down the lovely elegant stair case to the silver service dining room where we enjoyed a lovely meal looking over the terrace and immaculate gardens.( other times we enjoyed the carvery which put plenty of punds on us as did the hot uffet breakfast... there was everything ! )

The hotel was hosting a couple of weddings and a murder mystery weekend so it is poplar and yet we didnt hear a sound at night as you often get in some places.
...And what really impressed me was the cost it was very very good for what we had ( and we had DBB by the way)and it was yummy food ! ).... What sealed my approval rating was when we arrived they even halved price for the dogs to only £5.00 each per night which considering how lovely the place was I think was very good of them. Oh and they have disabled facilties so I was even more impressed! .... we are going back next month for my birthday and our wedding anniversay !

After 4 days at the hotel we went to North Wales for a week and stayed at Ogwen Bank in Gwynedd and just by the Snowdonia Mountain range. All I can say is .... fantastic I didnt realise how beautiful this country really is... who need Tropical detsinations when you have beautiful britain. We stayed in a hoseaons static caravan which was super. Ours looked over the river ogwen and the cascading waterfalls. The van was huge with 2 bedrooms. the park was set in forest/woodland and has a club house where we had the most amazing food. They have a french chef who cooked the most wonderful food and I loved evry minue of our stay in Ogwen Bank. In fact I really didnt want to come home.... oh and again it was so reasonable that I think its cheaper to stay away than be at home !... There were other dogs owners on site and everyone I saw were really good and cleared up mess, walked on leads, and when outside their vans we all had those stakes that go into the ground and you can tether the dogs on long leashes safely.
The nice thing about this place is that you can drive straight past it as we did for they have placed the caravans and lodges in such a way that it blends in with the trees and rivers and its not at all commercial like a holday park, its all been done so nicely and doesnt spoil the natural beauty of the surroundings. All all in all It was a great break and we choose the right places and I would highly recommend both.
As hubby and I inetnd to do more travelling from now on ( now all our kids have flow the nest ! ) I think I will look for more places to go and compile reports about each one, hopefully this may be useful to others, especailly those who may be disabled as well.:smt001
( Sorry for long post but I appreciated everyone's advise and thought I should let you know where I eventually went )
I have some piccys which I will upload now I have got the hand of it and will try and show you some of our Bella & Ozzie living it up on their hols !
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Thanks for this, have taken note although guess the hotel too expensive for us, the caravan park sounds ideal will look it up, thanks for posting this, really helpful x
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Sounds like a great holiday, and the price for the dogs was really reasonable.
I think future reports would be great especially as I am getting a second dog (golden retriever) soon and will probably need a place next year to take the dogs.
ziizii
New Member!
Female 

21-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Hi Pete, Check out th rates on the Brittania hotel web site, we got a dinner bed and breakfast package for £69.50 per night for 2 people ( not per erpson but £69.50 for 2 ie £34.75 each, when you consdier they allow £8.00 for breakfast and I think £14.oo for dinner that not bad really.) However the day rate does change so one day you can pay say £96.00 per night for two DBB ... also make sure you look for internet rate packages they are much cheaper.
Laterooms.com and hotel.,com are good sites to check out hotels as they list pet friendly on adcance search or click on teh facilties tab and generally they state pet friednly.
I also phoned hotels and asked directly and surprising most and I would say as high as 80% accepted dogs.
Most hotels keep certain rooms availablce fro pet owners so hopefully you will be able to find a good rate. I think maybe the rates will now go up but certainly when the school go back you should find some good deals. the caravan site has a web site http://www.ogwenbank.co.uk/
but we went through hoseasons...could b eaasier we just phoned through to bookings, asked where we could find a dog friendly place in wales, they suggested Ogwen bank and we were there the next week... cost for 1 week £345.oo ( Incl Dogs ) 2 bed 12ft static caravan seperate kicthen, large lounge, double bedroom, shower/toilet 2 bed with twin beds... all very nice and good enough for us and the dogs. ! happy hols ! ( One thing to mention... river is quite noisey as it runs stright from mountains and there is lots of waterfalls and rocks... on a sunny day you can let the dogs run into teh river, I even got a paddle as hubby managed to get my wheelchair down to the bank and it was simply wonderful !... oh and there's LOADS of sheep so dogs must be kept on leads when walking !
ziizii
New Member!
Female 

21-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Pam, the prices wer reasonable actully and I paid £20.oo to the caravan site for both dogs for the week. I am goign to try and set up a website and put all my info I gather on it and hopefully link to the hotels and places. I found it very stressful finding somewhere and was relieved when I did but then nervous what the places would be like and how the dogs would be but for my first trip as a disabled person with two large dogs and a husband in tow, I was very pleased !