Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spankey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2013, 09:43 PM

Update on tumor in abdomen

Thanks everyone for all the replies on bigboy. I have never had such a heavy heart it hurts so much. I have done so much research visited 3 vet clinics and yesterday the animal hospital. Bigboy had blood work done x-rays and it shows he has a splenic tumor. From the X-ray Dr said didn't see where it had spread to any other organs but no guarantee it hasn't. His blood work was good except liver just in high range gallbladder high and little dehydrated. Platelets were low but nothing to bad so he recommended surgery but also explained all the risk and chance of being malignant and how serious the surgery is. I'm so lost on what to do he will soon be 12 and the thought of losing him is tearing my heart out. If I knew he would survive the surgery and I would have him with me I would not hesitate but as with any surgery there's no guarantee. Any advice on this surgery please let me know. Everyone has been such a big help to me in this forum thank y'all so much.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2013, 09:57 PM
so sorry,devastating situation.I wish I could offer advice on the surgery.Fingers crossed for Bigboy,whatever decision you make will be the right one,you obviously love him so much.((hugs))
spankey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2013, 12:29 AM
Thank-you so much and yes he is my baby. Cant imagine life without him so this is so hard.
Ginge2602
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2013, 07:06 AM
Sharing your pain! Agree with Lacey ... Whatever your decision will be right. Although in my experience, vets don't tend to operate on unless there is a fighting chance. Good luck xx
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-10-2013, 07:24 AM
I am so very sorry that your beloved Bigboy has been diagnosed as having a splenic tumour, and I can understand how you feel about losing him.

For me, I honestly do not think I would put a nearly 12 year-old dog through major surgery with the possibility of it not being guaranteed to be successful and with such a chance of losing him.

I think I know what I would do in such circumstances, but then again what I think now might not apply later on.

Whatever you decide please know that it will be for the best for Bigboy and not a selfish act on your part.

(((hugs))) xx
spankey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the advice and thoughts
Its the hardest decision I've ever had to make. I love him so much and I want the best for him.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Sharon(( hugs))my heart goes out to you. At some point it will come to us all,having to make the heartbreaking decision when we really want to keep our best friends with us forever.Your love for him will give you the strength to do what's right.You have all of us on here for support or if you just need to talk,I hope you can find a little comfort in that xxx
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2013, 09:01 PM
My heart goes out to you.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2013, 01:30 AM
Dear Spankey, keep strong! You have us all at your back. You are best placed to make decisions for your own beloved, even if they are hard ones. I've been there and believe me I know how hard it is, both to help a sick one, hopefully to health, and to make that last choice if and when you have to. I'm not the only one. Keep strong. You have many at your back, and many wishing you well.
spankey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-10-2013, 02:56 AM
I am very glad I joined this forum to have everyones support means alot. We go back to vet Monday to discuss the surgery further just wish I had more information on this surgery but I trust this Dr and really feel he has bigboy in his best interest. Thanks again everyone.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >