Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2005, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
I think that many people who change their country of residence tend to feel that they do not really 'belong' anywhere.
I know the feeling SB
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2005, 08:54 AM
Indeed it can A big problem is that we tend to view the past through those rose-tinted specs - and the reality can be a let-down. We have UK relatives who are doing the NZ tour in August & visiting us here on their way back. I am sure they will love NZ. They are skiiers, so should enjoy their winter holiday there.

Once again agree ...Do you write a Dear Abbie column?

Had that very discussion last night with OH...the whole fear set in - would the memories become a let down when turned to reality - then got frightened that maybe it wasn't as good as I remembered

Oh I do hope your friends love NZ, hope they are skiing in Wanaka or Queenstown - that place is paradise. My OH loves it down there - we've got loads of video footage to make a grown man cry....in pain - no more please!!

maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2005, 08:56 AM
Tut's where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

xi
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-06-2005, 09:06 AM
I will let you know where they went and how they enjoyed it M/c. Will try not to overdo it & bring on the old 'wish I was there' feelings

I don't do 'Dear Abbie' very well , - much more experienced with dog behaviour than with all those incredibly complex human emotions & bewildering behaviours
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2005, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by maplecottage
Tut's where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

xi
I'm from Colombia I left when I was 5, but I went back there a few years ago and stayed for a year... still got lots of family inc my dad there, and friends inc ex bf so sometimes the place feels more like home than here
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-06-2005, 09:58 AM
Maplecottage,

A few years ago I lived with two Italian men. When they moved in the had only just left Italy. One of the was the head guy around his town. Everyone knew and respected him. The other was half hippy

Anyway the first one got a job in a Italian restaurant as a waiter. But however hard he tried he couldn't get the hang of english. He got so depressed about this he started getting homesick. We didn't really notice anything to begin with but one day he started to explain to me that him boss was going to kill him and put him in the bolognese. He stopped going to work and then started to think I was trying to poison him. That's when we realised he had acute homesickness. So we literally sent him back to Italy. It took him a year to recover but is now married and has a child.

It just goes to show how strong the need to be 'home' is.

By the way... Would it help if we all posted in a New Zealand accent?

Graeme
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-06-2005, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Graeme
By the way... Would it help if we all posted in a New Zealand accent?

Graeme
It may do - so long as no-one needs to use the word 'six'
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by tuti
I'm from Colombia I left when I was 5, but I went back there a few years ago and stayed for a year... still got lots of family inc my dad there, and friends inc ex bf so sometimes the place feels more like home than here
That's tough Tuti..

Really glad you are doing some travelling though - take good advantage of it while you can
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2005, 02:29 PM
It may do - so long as no-one needs to use the word 'six'
He he, yeah just tried that!
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Maplecottage
Watch the Lions tour on Sky. NZ looks sooooooooooooooooo cold now! Will that either help ypou be glad you're here or help you feel as if you are back home?
And if you're going to write, do it with a rid pin at tin to tin (sorry, we have Kiwi friends and, as ever, it's so nice to poke gentle fun at counrty-specific speech patterns. They don't mind, hope you don't.)
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7