Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-07-2010, 06:33 PM

Wag dog food - peoples opinions

We are presently feeding Arden Grange, but are having problems getting it locally, was walking through the local shops and see some bags of wag dog food, some local dog owner say its good others compare it with Bakers, which i won't touch with a barge pole, anyone tried this and what do they think.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2010, 06:45 PM
I used to feed my dogs Wagg but they had dreadful flatulence so I had to change it!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Cheap and cheerful - I feed it to the foxes.

I wouldn't feed it to my dogs, but I know some that completely thrive on it. It's all down to what suits your dog best.
dave2003
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-07-2010, 12:02 AM
i tried dave on the chicken wag and it didn't suit him at all, constant runs and hellish wind! he is skinny thanks to the previous owners feeding regime so i was looking for a better food for him, introduced it slowly but no joy. now on tesco premium much to my disgust but his digestive system is so sensitive i'm sticking to what suits him.

all other dogs i've had were fed a wet diet but he can only digest dry food, so i'd try it slowly as friends collie perfectly healthy on wagg.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 08:45 AM
In terms of quality Arden Grange is far, far better. I wouldn't feed Wagg.

If you are having problems with finding a stockist, why not order it online?
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-07-2010, 08:54 AM
I do private boarding and have "guest" dogs coming and going on a regular basis, there have been a number of them fed Wagg, i find it makes them far too hyper and they poo for england, and when you see ORANGE poo you know the diet isnt right! i would never feed it to my dogs nor recommend it to anyone, full of derivatives, NOT meat, plus all the pretty colours = e numbers!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 09:44 AM
They do have a sensitive version which may be worth a try?

Also it states on their website

All our dog food products have no artificial colours or flavours and contain antioxidants to help support a healthy immune system

They arent however clear on what 'preservatives' they use.

I would say it is a better quality than Bakers but wouldnt feed it personally. Perhaps look at Harringtons? Its a better quality content if i remember rightly at a reasonable price.

if you are feeding arden grange i would stick with it and find a different source, my local petstore is happy to 'get some in' if i want anything they do not stock. PAH do arden grange I think?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 10:04 AM
I would also avoid Wagg. Harringtons is made by the same company (I believe) and is reasonably priced and a lot better quality than Wagg. Wagg does contain colourings - anything with red and green kibbles in it is a no no as far as I'm concerned.
Netpon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Wagg is on a par with Bakers - frankly I wouldn't touch either with a barge pole! Harringtons is much better but its not very widely available (at least not where I live) you can get 2kg bags in some Asda and Tescos or you can order bigger bags online.

My advice would be to avoid anything that is coloured (full of unecessary E numbers and therefore possible allergens) and look for something with as little cereal in as possible as dogs don't need/can't digest cereals and it just goes in one end and out the other (in huge quantities!!)
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies, think i will stick with Arden Grange, will give PAH a try, one has opened near us recently, failing that will try mail order.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >