Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Well done everyone!

Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
How are you stopping Molly guarding in the garden? Cain rockets around it in circles jumping up the fences, not good especially as summer is coming and our neighbours will be out more. I want to stop it but even if he sits and waits calmly before I open the door, as I release him he bombs out there like a bat out of hell! I'd be interested to know wgat your trying
Mine was like that at about cain's age. Tbh, I just took to letting him out for a few mins and let him get that energy out and then got him on a toy. I do agree with Helena, I found at the time, letting him have a couple of mins zooming around and checking the place out then 'enough' and it seemed to work fine Young dogs tend to do that I think, heaps of energy - can go from sleeping indoors to running and jumping in the garden and doing what they think they should to sleeping again

I definatley agree that letting them have a little ley-way and then 'enough' but following it up with a toy/play the second they stop, even if that includes them running around, they soon seem to settle that way
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Hanks I wouldn't mind it so much if we didn't have rather wobbly fences that are only 4 ft high We were going to raise the fences but I am planning to move out soon ao it didn't seem worth it, but the next place I want 6ft high walls!!!! He isn't too bad, he dashes out to look for cats or birds or squirrels but tends to not be excessive, so really it's probably my problem with the fences than Cain having a behaviour problem with this. It's just hard to get used to, he's such a different dog to Moon is so many ways, sometimes I'm not sure when Cain's nutty behaviour is actually normal
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Hanks I wouldn't mind it so much if we didn't have rather wobbly fences that are only 4 ft high We were going to raise the fences but I am planning to move out soon ao it didn't seem worth it, but the next place I want 6ft high walls!!!! He isn't too bad, he dashes out to look for cats or birds or squirrels but tends to not be excessive, so really it's probably my problem with the fences than Cain having a behaviour problem with this. It's just hard to get used to, he's such a different dog to Moon is so many ways, sometimes I'm not sure when Cain's nutty behaviour is actually normal

I know what you mean. tbh he will probably settle once he reaches about 3/4 - probably not helping much eh but its true! and the fences arent really cains fault bless him Sounds pretty normal, big male teen dog to me
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Another first for the Breed!

My friend Suzanne Jaffa made up the first Ob Ch in ASD
She made up the first WT Ch in ASD
She made up her current ASD into an Ob Ch and won Crufts Obedience Dog Comp in 2010 and has just made him up into a WT Ch, so making the FIRST DUAL CHAMPION in ASD in the UK!

She is a fantastic trainer!

She is now going to enter PD competitions with him to get his PDex as well as his TDex (as she did with his dad).

Suzanne currently has a Groenandael puppy which no doubt she will do the same for, no Groen has got further than WDex in Working Trials I am not sure how far they have gone in Obedience?

She is a genius! AND all her dogs are entirely clicker trained.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Big success today , Bella injured and was doing some recall with Tom on his own , he came back when there was a cat there , big big step for him and never thought he would come to me in those circustances a few months back , big treat required for Tom
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Well done to your friend there smokeybear, that's a fantastic achievement, makes us lot look a bit pathetic here!!!! Well done to Tom for recalling when there was a cat around big achievement.

Well today, as I got out the car in the car-park to my walk, a noisy, yapping little yorkie came over to Zena (she was ONlead), but instead of shouting at it, she pulled me over, said hello with her tail wagging and the little yorkie gave her a kiss and stopped barking at her! Then a stupid dog-walker, just let about 6 dogs out of the van, 2 huskies, 2 labs, and others, and they all came charging into where I was with my two, but Zena totally ignored them, offlead too and if it hadn't of been for Georgie stopping for a poo which I had to clear up, we could have got well out of their way She was told to go "down and stay" and bless her heart, she stayed there whilst I cleared it up and ignored the other loonies charging around! Yayyy, I'm getting there! Then we met a lab who was a guide dog (coz the woman told me not to be worried about him as I put Zena onlead), and so I let her off and she was fine. Then we met a collie (Zena doesn't like many collies), and it was all very gentle the greeting, another dog with it, and all was calm and fine! I'm beginning to wonder if this new dog walking area I'm going to, with all the hundreds of dogs, is actually de-sensitizing her to them Where I used to walk, there were only the 3 she knew and the odd one or two we had to pass, so when you think about it, having loads of them running around all over the place, I think she might be getting less stressed about them coming over to us and giving her an attitude. Maybe I've just been lucky of late and we've only met the friendly ones, I do hope I won't be eating these words tomorrow!!! Then again, because everything is going so well of late, maybe it's ME who's destressing and in turn, that's having an effect on Zena, who knows! I like it though! Maybe one day I might actually be able to trust her with ANY dog just like I could with all the others I've had, but I think that's hoping for a bit too much!
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Well done to your friend there smokeybear, that's a fantastic achievement, makes us lot look a bit pathetic here!!!! Well done to Tom for recalling when there was a cat around big achievement.

Well today, as I got out the car in the car-park to my walk, a noisy, yapping little yorkie came over to Zena (she was ONlead), but instead of shouting at it, she pulled me over, said hello with her tail wagging and the little yorkie gave her a kiss and stopped barking at her! Then a stupid dog-walker, just let about 6 dogs out of the van, 2 huskies, 2 labs, and others, and they all came charging into where I was with my two, but Zena totally ignored them, offlead too and if it hadn't of been for Georgie stopping for a poo which I had to clear up, we could have got well out of their way She was told to go "down and stay" and bless her heart, she stayed there whilst I cleared it up and ignored the other loonies charging around! Yayyy, I'm getting there! Then we met a lab who was a guide dog (coz the woman told me not to be worried about him as I put Zena onlead), and so I let her off and she was fine. Then we met a collie (Zena doesn't like many collies), and it was all very gentle the greeting, another dog with it, and all was calm and fine! I'm beginning to wonder if this new dog walking area I'm going to, with all the hundreds of dogs, is actually de-sensitizing her to them Where I used to walk, there were only the 3 she knew and the odd one or two we had to pass, so when you think about it, having loads of them running around all over the place, I think she might be getting less stressed about them coming over to us and giving her an attitude. Maybe I've just been lucky of late and we've only met the friendly ones, I do hope I won't be eating these words tomorrow!!! Then again, because everything is going so well of late, maybe it's ME who's destressing and in turn, that's having an effect on Zena, who knows! I like it though! Maybe one day I might actually be able to trust her with ANY dog just like I could with all the others I've had, but I think that's hoping for a bit too much!
YAY ZENA!!! What a difference from how she used to be I think it's probably a combination of all those things tbh. She has no negative associations with the new walking place and has met lots of nice dogs so maybe it's boosted her confidence and stopped her being so quick on the defence...?

Anyway, whatever it is that's made the difference, WELL DONE!

xoxox
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Well done Tom Its a great feeling when thru actually come back isn't it.

And WOW Zena.....what can I say? Just, WOW Whats your secret? Now come and sort Cain out
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Well done Tom Its a great feeling when thru actually come back isn't it.

And WOW Zena.....what can I say? Just, WOW Whats your secret? Now come and sort Cain out
Thanks Sarah and Amanda. I honestly think, it could well be the fact that I am always putting that lead on her when there's a chance of another dog appearing, or if one's on its way over, because by doing that, she then knows I am in control of the situation coz I've told her to leave it, the with me bit, and then the "nicely" or "slowly" as she says hello to it, whereas before that punch up before Christmas, I never put her onlead, thereby, leaving it up to her what to do all the time when dogs came over to us, and if she thought any of them were a threat to us/her then of course, she'd tell them and if they didn't listen, and answered her back with their teeth, then she had no choice? that's my take on it anyway, BUT, I don't think your Cainn is aggressive like Zena CAN be is he? In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Zena would probably get on with him! She doesn't mind being splattered, flattened or paw punched if she likes the dog, it's only if it shows her aggression that she goes off on one! I never want to see it again, ever! Just goes to show, if you take control of a situation you have instead of letting your dog take control, it pays dividends. Oh blimey, I'm sure I'm gonna be eating these words tomorrow!!!!
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Well done to Tom for recalling when there was a cat around big achievement.

Thanks Helena , never thought I would see the day , such a big achievement for my lovely boy lets hope can repeat it as I love cats and struggle with his reaction to them !
Page 14 of 101 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 64 > Last »