Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
Tilly's having her annual booster jab this afternoon & a general check up. I'm actually chickening out & getting hub to take her. I hate having to hold her still & I don't think I portray calm vibes! Since being spayed, the vets is not her favourite place & she'll need a muzzle.
Is there any after effects of boosters? I'm wondering if I'm in for a grumpy evening tonight.
Probably not a bad idea for your OH to take her then. Do you ever pop into the vets with her when nothing is going to happen to her (and where she gots lots of treats).

As for whether she'll be grumpy - I'm not sure. Hoki has always been fine, but Stumpy was a bit quiet this time - but then she can be quiet sometimes anyway so I don't know whether it was anything to do with the booster or just down to her good long walk!

Let us know how she gets on
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 04:13 PM
how did tilly get on?

im not sure about the boosters either... im going to get jakes first booster but after that im not sure what im going to do...
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Very interesting link Ld thanks for that.

Not sure about having Ollie titre tested it involves taking blood and I am not sure that would be an easy thing too accomplish with him.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Very interesting link Ld thanks for that.

Not sure about having Ollie titre tested it involves taking blood and I am not sure that would be an easy thing too accomplish with him.
I have never titre tested personally.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Hub took her for a good long walk before we went (so she was all wet when we got there ) anyway it was a different vet, not the usual old git who I'm not keen on, so I went in too. She didn't like being examined & the vet advised we bring her own basket muzzle next time as she can still bite through the cloth ones they use - but when she snapped at him & I explained about how she doesn't like being touched sometimes does that, he told me that she wasn't going to bite him - just protesting! which made me feel better if you know what I mean (visions of her agressively biting the vet) So then I asked him to check her front paw as she won't let me touch it lately. He said it was a little inflamed with restricted movement. We didn't get any further with that so I guess I should just keep an eye on it (wishing now I'd have asked what to do)
So then she had the jab & didn't even flinch. Got her down off the table & then he declared the vile was a dud & the liquid hadn't dispensed so we had to put her back up for another 1!! could only happen to us She was ok though & got loads of biscuits off the vet

The only times she goes to the vets is for something unpleasant so yes I think I'll just take her in there, ask them to give a biscuit & leave!!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
No idea! I don't do boosters for my dogs. Waste of time and money.
I think we have to have her done as part of the adoption agreement.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 05:30 PM
I think we have to have her done as part of the adoption agreement.
Really? how bizarre. I can understand rescues having spay and neuter contracts, but didn't know you had to sign something to agree to yearly vaccinations.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Really? how bizarre. I can understand rescues having spay and neuter contracts, but didn't know you had to sign something to agree to yearly vaccinations.
I may be wrong then, I don't remember signing anything but I'm sure they said it when we got her - unless they just meant her puppy ones.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
I have always had my dogs boostered and will have to with Chase because we plan on taking him abroad most summers (money permitting lol!) so he's had his passport jab etc.

I hope Tilly isn't grouchy Chase wasn't and neither have any of my other dogs been - Tara has been jabbed every year and she's nearly 15 - quite poorly at the moment, but I don't think thats anything to do with her jabs....old age got her in the end!
You don't need to have yearly rabies boosters for visiting dogs abroad(only if they are to become resident)

I don't vaccinate my dogs yearly & haven't done so for 40 years & to date have never had any of them fall ill & their titre levels always show that they do not need to be revaccinated
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Hub took her for a good long walk before we went (so she was all wet when we got there ) anyway it was a different vet, not the usual old git who I'm not keen on, so I went in too. She didn't like being examined & the vet advised we bring her own basket muzzle next time as she can still bite through the cloth ones they use - but when she snapped at him & I explained about how she doesn't like being touched sometimes does that, he told me that she wasn't going to bite him - just protesting! which made me feel better if you know what I mean (visions of her agressively biting the vet) So then I asked him to check her front paw as she won't let me touch it lately. He said it was a little inflamed with restricted movement. We didn't get any further with that so I guess I should just keep an eye on it (wishing now I'd have asked what to do)
So then she had the jab & didn't even flinch. Got her down off the table & then he declared the vile was a dud & the liquid hadn't dispensed so we had to put her back up for another 1!! could only happen to us She was ok though & got loads of biscuits off the vet

The only times she goes to the vets is for something unpleasant so yes I think I'll just take her in there, ask them to give a biscuit & leave!!
Sounds like a nice vet this one (in terms of handling Tilly)- can you try and make your appointments for him in future (rather than pot luck)?

Bit strange though that he told you about the paw but didn't suggest what to do? Generally best to restrict excericse for awhile with something like that (but I know how much you and Tilly would love that - NOT!)
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >